Cover image for Genentech

Part of Roche
Engaged Employer

Genentech

Add a Review

Genentech Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 4, 2023

4.1
Genentech Chief Executive Officer Alexander Hardy
Alexander Hardy

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "The benefits are great and the perk are second to none such as the GenenBus.(in 567 reviews)
  • "The people I work with are great and very inspiring.(in 389 reviews)
  • "Great Culture and Company Values(in 238 reviews)
  • "good pay which is great considering the headhunters cut of the pay and the fact that I did not recieve benefits.(in 168 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance in general(in 155 reviews)
Cons

Ratings by Demographics

Want more options?

This rating reflects the overall rating of Genentech and is not affected by filters.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
      Feb 25, 2019
      Program Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

*company is doing great work *beautiful campus * great work/life balance and ability to work from home

Cons

*hard to move up/get promoted

Jun 16, 2010
        Sales Operations
        Former Employee
        Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is entrepreneurial & strives for excellence. Mgmt & employees strive for, expect, and help each other attain success!

Cons

Certain groups in the overall organization can be dramatically overworked therefore work/life balance can sometimes be an issue.

2. Join the Genentech team
        See Our Latest Jobs
        1. 1.0
          Dec 2, 2015
          Research Associate
          Former Employee, more than 8 years
          Business Outlook

Pros

The best thing about genentech is its benefit and the work schedule flexibility that focus on life/work balance. One of the highlight is the multiple cafeteria on site in addition to the gym and other amenities

Cons

It is a mob mentality place, if one of the old crew does not like you for any reason you are screwed. Also, favoritism is very widely spread within the company, it is not what you know it is who you know.

1. 2.0
            Jun 3, 2014
            Current Employee
            Business Outlook

Pros

-Large, well established company. Resources that may not be available to smaller companies or start-ups are readily available. -Other companies may pay more, but the pay and benefits at Genentech are nothing to complain about.

Cons

- A class system exists. Contractors work harder than some full-time employee, yet are not recognized. If you aren't in a more senior level position you can get stuck being a workhorse with no recognition. - Promotions don't seem to be merit based. Same thing goes full time positions offered to contract workers. Management plays favorites, it can be very hard to move up if you don't play politics. - Employees are overworked. It is hard to keep a good work life balance if the job is burning you out

1. 1.0
              Jun 20, 2017
              Compliance Training Manager
              Business Outlook

Pros

If you work in manufacturing/operations your perks are proximity to the bay, free seltzer water, free rentable bikes, and company sponsored sporting events. If you work in Commercial or a global function there are MANY perks both financial and work/life balance.

Cons

OPERATIONS/MANUFACTURING: Dysfunctional, duplicitous, and perception weighs heavier than reality. In operations/manufacturing the schedule is too fast, people are overworked, teams are under resourced, and the overall SSF site culture is partial work completion (i.e. 20% completed 80% incomplete). Therefore it is important within this organization to make appearances that everything is o.k. and running smoothly. This tactic tends to combat/deflect blame for chronic problems and recurrent issues. GLOBAL OR COMMERCIAL: Loads and loads of politics.

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to send us your feedback. Because the roles & responsibilities in our company differ from function to function, there will be variation in work related experiences. However, we constantly strive to provide all employees an environment where they can do their best work and make real impact in the lives of patients. From your review, it sounds like that may not have been your experience. If you are currently experiencing frustration about your work environment, and you are open to continuing the conversation, we would like to invite you to reach out to your HR representative. Again, Thank you for your review.

Aug 2, 2012
                Computational Biologist
                Business Outlook

Pros

Working with lots of clever people makes things more fun and interesting Successfully producing new drugs that help people makes work fulfilling The work life balance is very reasonable so long as you are efficient at getting your work done Management really cares about employees and wants us to be happy

Cons

Flat structure makes it hard to be promoted in more than name Not a great location for living close to work, everyone just about has some sort of commute

May 19, 2008
                  Senior Product Manager
                  Current Employee
                  Business Outlook

Pros

Genetech has excellent science, people and compensation

Cons

My biggest criticism of Genentech would be that it is not the best with work/life balance. Also, there is a strong focus on science (which is great) but very little attention to operations and the importance of solid training.

Jul 23, 2016
                    Associate Engineer
                    Current Employee, more than 1 year
                    Business Outlook

Pros

-True work / life balance is actually encouraged (and not just verbally) -Widespread industry recognition, great place to make a name for yourself -Extremely collaborative, many cross-functional teams that allow you to expand expertise into new areas -Management is excellent; clear communication for the most part, honest concern for employees, very open to ideas and feedback -Social atmosphere is excellent. Rigorous hiring process means people are both intelligent and fit with the company culture of awesomeness.

Cons

-Can move slowly if nobody champions an initiative. -SF area is expensive, and pay (while good for most areas) can seem to lag behind the area's growth. -Business processes can be bloated, navigating them can be difficult. There are active efforts to improve this.

1. 4.0
                      Jun 8, 2021
                      Business Outlook

Pros

Work Life Balance is great ans flexible

Cons

Many changes, redundant work, and management sometimes

1. 4.0
                        Jul 27, 2017
                        Former Employee, more than 5 years
                        Business Outlook

Pros

work and life balance; great benefits

Cons

hard to ove up due to lack of good management skills

Viewing 1 - 10 of 350 Reviews
                      </>Embed

Popular Careers with Genentech Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Want the inside scoop on your own company?

Join your Company Bowl™ for anonymous work chats.

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

Analytical Chemist

Do you experience that how long the hiring process would take at Thermo Fisher? I got my second interview with hiring manager at the beginning of November but I haven’t heard nothing from them. When I’ve emailed them to check in they just said that the process would be slow, no time frame. I would be able to get an offer soon from other company but work as contractor. Should I wait for Thermo Fisher?

7 Comments

KPMG

Booz Allen Hamilton Recently applied and I've been referred for an interview! Any tips on interviewing with Booz Allen? And if I am being asked to complete clearance and background upfront, is this a good indicator for being hired?

3 Comments

Alex L.

Applied for a job a few weeks back, got a call from HR yesterday morning about an interview next week. She mentioned she'd shoot me an email with all the interview details, but so far, my inbox is empty. Assuming I'll hear from her early next week, is it normal for them to expect me to show up for an in-person interview on short notice, like couple days?

3 Comments

Glassdoor has 4,347 Genentech reviews submitted anonymously by Genentech employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Genentech is right for you.