Generac Power Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Generac Power Systems CEO Aaron Jagdfeld
Aaron Jagdfeld

Pros
Cons
  • Work/ life balance is no longer in line (in 18 reviews)

• More concerned about hitting deadlines so upper management gets their bonuses than the actual success of a project (in 20 reviews)

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Sales in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Sales in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people with good work ethic, solid personal/business ethics, good business knowledge and understanding how to win business. Fantastic facilities for a manufacturing company.

Cons

Lack of trust and empowerment from the top down. C-level micromanages entirely too much for a company this size. Competent people are hired with the ability to do the job, only to have their momentum and efforts stifled by having to constantly get denied for some of the most mundane things. Company has very little true understanding of how to work proactively to gain placement and share. Always running fire drills at quarter/year end for things that could have been prevented with some foresight and strategy. No appreciation for a job well done, regardless of the circumstances. Ethics of many employees are questionable considering the amount of soap-opera type drama occurring daily between internal employees. Unrealistic expectations from a numbers perspective driven by pie-in-the-sky forecasts...this doesn't work with a weather driven category. On top of that, realistic forecasts and planning provided is thrown out and/or not even looked at for fear that reality will disagree with executive perspective. Fear of executive wrath/rebuke drives decisions.

Advice to Management

Strategy shift toward letting competent employees do the job they were hired for vs consistently overruling them. Either that, or add a bullet point to all job descriptions stating "will function as robot for executive driven ideologies". That way people know what they are signing up for.

"Awful Place to Work .unless you are Starving...."

Current Employee - Sheet Metal Worker in Eagle, WI
    Current Employee - Sheet Metal Worker in Eagle, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will receive a free Turkey at Christmas

Cons

Extremely congested work areas . Welding fumes and Grinding Dust fill the air combined with the sweet scent of oven baked Varnish. Super Noisy, Fork Lift Drivers that have no respect for safety. Quality is on level with AMC Motors part quotas are impossible to achieve.

Advice to Management

You are all to arrogant to accept any advice. Sell the company to Kohler before it goes Bankrupt

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Newer facilities, Good People, Close to Home

Cons

Poor communication between management and those below them, this exists on every level. Toxic, personal environment. Bullying among team members seems to be normal behavior and acceptable. Lack of discipline and consequence for poor performance and ethics. Constant change on processes. Middle management has less knowledge of how the processes work then those employees that work them day to day. Temps that are brought in have no incentive to work or even care about what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Eliminate middle management, promote within, stop hiring temps and have consequences for bullying & poor performance.

"Not a good company!!!!! Stay away"

Current Employee - Cycle Counter in Eagle, WI
    Current Employee - Cycle Counter in Eagle, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro to working here is some of the most awesome people out on the shop floor. Other than that none what so ever.

Cons

Pay sucks. People are being hired at the rate that current employees are making, but current employees don't get a raise to compensate for the new employees. They are not family friendly as they claim to be. I spend more time at work than I do with my family. Had to quit college because of the long hours. Can't make ends meet with what they pay you. Management is horrible, people come and go like crazy. They lie about the bonuses every quarter. Been there over 5 years and haven't seen one in 3 years. God forbid you have health issues, they just laugh in your face and make you work even more or try to get you to quit. HR is useless, always loosing important paperwork and then threaten to fire you if you don't produce it. They expect you to work in really hot weather or when it is so cold your fingers are numb. Employees are actually wearing winter coats, hats and gloves just to stay warm.

Advice to Management

Figure if out people. This was an awesome company to work for at one point. Now it just plain sucks. You are loosing very talented people and the morale is bad. You need to boost morale by giving incentives, cut back on the weekends so people can spend time with their children and spouses. Stop giving yourselves bonuses and share with the rest of us who are actually doing the work, not sitting behind a desk doing nothing. Upper management should spend a week with us common people to see what we actually do and what it takes to make this company stay alive.

"Back In Time"

Current Employee - Production in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Production in Waukesha, WI

Pros

You receive compensation. Weak as it may be.

Cons

Many followers but no leaders. Unacceptable behavior, comments, jokes are all perfectly acceptable at Generac. Racial humor, sexual innuendo and any other act or treatment which may diminish an individuals sense of identity, dignity or self worth is quite commonplace and generally accepted as "factory workers being factory workers". Leads engage in and encourage this behavior as "just having fun". Supervisors could care less and HR could care even less than that. Register a formal complaint and you are a marked target. Minorities and others who are offended go along to get along. Fear of reprisal plays a big part of this. Antiquated machines, long hours, sweltering hot, unrealistic production standards and a poor safety program. Quality is preached, not practiced. Just getting the parts out is the main focus. You want to go back in time? Apply and get hired at Generac. It was not for me.

Advice to Management

If behavior is not acceptable in society it should not be accepted within the Generac walls. You don't run a sovereign state. Someday, sometime, someone will get fed up and you will find yourself embroiled in a lawsuit. The media will enjoy being outside your fancy new facility reporting on the story.

"Generac is a TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK!"

Current Employee - Director in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Waukesha, WI

Pros

Generac makes good products and their brand is strong. However, their culture is absolutely the worst I have ever experienced. Tremendous turn over in all positions. Management is very arrogant and the expectations are unrealistic. Warning: DO NOT WORK AT GENERAC!

Cons

Terrible culture of mistrust and unrealistic expectations.
    Tremendous employee turn over (including Senior Management / Execs)
    Unrealistic Expectations that cannot be met.
    Terrible work/life balance. Don't let the Wisconsin location fool you -- it's more of an East Coast mentality as opposed to a friendly mid western environment.
    Literally hated working at Generac and I have loved my previous positions with other companies.

Advice to Management

You need to look at the amount of employees that leave Generac.
    Your culture is the worse and you have created a very unfavorable environment for employees.

"Forced to work 72 hours a week for 5 months without pay"

Current Employee - Engineering in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Engineering in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Company puts up posters telling you to go on Glassdoor and say how great generac is

Cons

I was forced to work six 12 hour days for 5 months without overtime pay. I am not making this up. So were about 8 other engineers and designers. 12 hours every Saturday too. Towards the end we were forced to work Sunday, also. I was told there would be a 25K bonus for this, we received less than 10% of that, and we have to stay at generac 3 years to get ""it"". The turnover is terrible, but nothing changes. Of course "Generac is hiring!"

We were told we had a choice to join this team or not, but in reality not joining would mean you were at best blackballed, and at worst your job was in jeopardy.

Project timelines are just plain stupid. You are signed up to fail right from the start. They are impossible to hit, and every project is late, customers are mad, it is just a disaster. I could go on and on about this place, but I see that others have already done a good job of this.

The 72 hour a week project was also late, the team was told "you did not put in enough time at the start of this project, that is why it was late". So much fun!

Take a job at generac at your own risk.

Advice to Management

Replace your existing front door with one of those rotating turnstile type of doors that fancy hotels have. With the turnover you have, that would help the flow of people in and out. Executives - Get a clue - telling people to go on glassdoor shows out how of touch you really are. What did you expect to see?

You no longer have staff that has any clue what they are doing, thanks to the turnover. But I don't think that is important to you - just bring in fresh meat and pound them until they quit, which won't be long.

"Welder"

Former Employee - Welder in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Welder in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Absolutely none zero zilch nothing

Cons

To many I would need a publisher to get this done the place is a complete joke

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter they don't listen or give a rat's behind about any of their employees

10. "Material Handler"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Jefferson, WI
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Jefferson, WI

Pros

There's a lot of mandatory overtime.

Cons

Man I really don't know where to start. Mandatory 9 hour days for more than half of the entire time I worked there (which was about 3 years). Management does not work with employees, there is a great deal of favoritism which is unfortunate but common in companies with such unqualified management. Their pay is less than average, their benefits are ok, unless there's a hurricane you will not get a bonus. And if there is a hurricane you will work 60 hours a week and probably Sunday. People in the office get to leave for lunch, but no one working in the factory can leave for lunch. Don't provide any food vendors.

Advice to Management

Take a look around every once in a while and you might actually see what's going on. And quit talking about how many bonuses and stock Aaron Jagdfeld has. Your only making everyone mad!

"Just Run!"

Former Employee - Administrative in Whitewater, WI
    Former Employee - Administrative in Whitewater, WI

Pros

Very straight forward and easy hiring process as they are running out of warm bodies in the area that will work for them. If you have problems passing a drug test you can probably find a job here as the last I knew they have no drug testing policies.

Cons

Do not come here if you are an administrative professional, it is a terrible career move. This place is the complete wild west with the most arrogant unapproachable leadership team you will find. When Director level HR people from places like Harley are brought in and are running for the doors less than a year later, it's obvious this place has major culture problems.

Advice to Management

There is a cultural arrogance at this place that is difficult to articulate in words but it starts at the very top. You not running a sustainable model in employee relations. Waukesha is a small community and eventually you run out of people who are willing to work for you. Stop treating people like disposal commodities.