Generac Power Systems Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Generac Power Systems Reviews

Updated March 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Lots of good people at middle to lower levels (in 14 reviews)

• Great people to work with - really top notch engineering talent in particular (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/ life balance is no longer in line (in 18 reviews)

• More concerned about hitting deadlines so upper management gets their bonuses than the actual success of a project (in 20 reviews)

"Worked there 4 years"

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

I liked running a cnc punch press so the work was good and the employees are nice. The company pi cinic was nice state fair, the zoo, and a brewer game each year they cater a meal and free food.

Cons

The company claims they are a union so you can't do anything you want then months later someone else can come in early and leave early even though I was told I can't because it wouldn't be fair. Then they decide you have to be there 11years to get 4 weeks vacation instead of 10 without telling anyone, union shop, who are you kidding.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees likecrap and pay better maybe you wouldn't need 100's of people

2. "Engineering"

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

Good Experience, lots of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Pay is below market value for college graduates starting out.

3. "Electronics Engineering Intern"

Pros

Decent variety in day to day functions as an Intern. Generally friendly people and a good work environment. Nice new facility in Waukesha.

Cons

There were not many opportunities to expand your technical skills. Many projects were more like work that would have been shopped out to a temp agency.

"Worst company for customer service"

Pros

I was taught "If you haven't got anything good to say, keep your mouth shut"

Cons

Immediate management hasn't a clue. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Treats customers horribly after the sale, They can't be honest in their dealings with customers

Advice to Management

Listen to the advice of people. Treat your customers with respect and deliver what you promise

"Good company"

Current Employee - Dealer Acquisitions in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Dealer Acquisitions in Waukesha, WI

Pros

Very happy with the people in the company

Cons

Communication can be better from top down

"Not a good company!!!!! Stay away"

Current Employee - Cycle Counter in Eagle, WI
    Current Employee - Cycle Counter in Eagle, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro to working here is some of the most awesome people out on the shop floor. Other than that none what so ever.

Cons

Pay sucks. People are being hired at the rate that current employees are making, but current employees don't get a raise to compensate for the new employees. They are not family friendly as they claim to be. I spend more time at work than I do with my family. Had to quit college because of the long hours. Can't make ends meet with what they pay you. Management is horrible, people come and go like crazy. They lie about the bonuses every quarter. Been there over 5 years and haven't seen one in 3 years. God forbid you have health issues, they just laugh in your face and make you work even more or try to get you to quit. HR is useless, always loosing important paperwork and then threaten to fire you if you don't produce it. They expect you to work in really hot weather or when it is so cold your fingers are numb. Employees are actually wearing winter coats, hats and gloves just to stay warm.

Advice to Management

Figure if out people. This was an awesome company to work for at one point. Now it just plain sucks. You are loosing very talented people and the morale is bad. You need to boost morale by giving incentives, cut back on the weekends so people can spend time with their children and spouses. Stop giving yourselves bonuses and share with the rest of us who are actually doing the work, not sitting behind a desk doing nothing. Upper management should spend a week with us common people to see what we actually do and what it takes to make this company stay alive.

"Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Consulting in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Consulting in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Generac Power Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Big company, but I would never want to work at a company that is not analyzing the market to grow at max potential.

Cons

They need help hiring workers, and are having troubles doing so. Word had it they were offered opportunities to implement a system that would drive employment at an incredibly cheap value - They failed to reply to any emails or phone calls. HR staff is quite unprofessional. Fair to say they will fail pretty quickly, myself and others will enjoy watching it based on their lack of judgement. That company now went to Rockwell Automation based on that companies ability to analyze demographical data. Enormous lost opportunity for GENERAC.

Advice to Management

How hard is to to reply to emails and phone calls when doing business to business negotiation? Because of that, they lost a great deal.

"Sinking Ship--All good talent has left"

Pros

You do not work over 50 hours so you have a healthy work/life balance.

Cons

They dangle the opportunity to bonus over your head, but never give you the ability. Instead they will make you push promos the last two weeks of the quarter so they hit their number but you don't hit yours..and also puts you in bad standing with your customers and for your outlook into the next quarter.

Advice to Management

Old business practices will not push you to grow into the new era of retail and industrial sales. Empower your talent and dismember the "old boys club" mentality

"Just okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are friendly. Cafeteria onsite but most likely because you are too busy to leave and go out for lunch. Pay and benefits are mediocre.

Cons

Lots of turnover. They can't keep people and the good people that are staying are getting overworked and burned out. It would be appreciated if managers encouraged employees to take a full lunch and leave for work on time at 5. The stress of being overworked and working late all the time unpaid (salaried) makes it difficult to enjoy life outside of work. Show employees they are appreciated. If you can't provide raises, if we are working overtime consistently how about give us a few extra vacation days. Show us that you appreciate us not spending time with our families after 5:00 because we are sitting in our cramped cube working away unpaid.

Advice to Management

Fix the culture and focus on morale. If morale improved we will want to stay and even refer people we know the to company. There are several companies closer to Milwaukee that encourage employees to work from home more, casual dress, or will let them leave at noon on Fridays occasionally. It makes a big difference in how an employee views the company. Those are the kinds of incentives people talk about when someone is looking for a job.

"Run for the hills"

Pros

Their Waukesha facility is pretty nice on the inside, recently renovated. The cafeteria had good variety, although a bit overpriced.
    Casual dress on Fridays, but they always had a stupid theme. Give that up already... No one cares. Just let people wear jeans.
    If you're a hard worker and have a chance to get face-time with a higher-up, you might actually get some recognition. Maybe.

Cons

The CEO's base salary is $800,000. The rest of the executives are in the upper 300- and $400,000's. At that's BEFORE a likely disgusting amount of bonuses. So at least they're compensated *fairly*... while the rest of us scrape by with our 2% below market, sad excuses for pay.

Advice to Management

You are quickly running out of local employees to use and abuse. This is why a lot of the new managers and directors are being brought in from other parts of the country. The reputation is quickly going downhill, as a place with no work-life balance or respect for talented employees. Quit rewarding the same few employees with seniority, and give recognition to some of the newer people with potential if you'd like them to stay.