Generac Power Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Generac Power Systems Reviews

Updated October 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • most shop coworkers are good people (in 17 reviews)

• Great people to work with - really top notch engineering talent in particular (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/ life balance is no longer in line (in 19 reviews)

• More concerned about hitting deadlines so upper management gets their bonuses than the actual success of a project (in 21 reviews)

"It's not 1990, its 2017"

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is some exceptional talent in a few roles. The employees who been there for 5+ years are a close knit group. The benefits are slowly getting to industry average.

Cons

Everything else, basically everything else. The only way to get a raise is to give your notice, otherwise all you get are 1% raises. Chances are you will be more qualified than whoever ends up being your boss. The yearly goals process is a joke because the executive's without warning change the corporate goals, which effects meeting your yearly goals, which has an impact on your compensation. Any new product or project in development will be run by the most incompetent person available, which will cause it to be delayed and over budget. Sexual harassment from VP's still runs rampant in the corporate office.

Advice to Management

Send a clear message that inappropriate behavior from any manager, VP, or Senior VP will not be tolerated, wasn't this the reason why Generac wanted employees to "Let their voice be heard"? If the employees are truly the soul of Generac, why are we still treated horribly and underpaid in some cases by as much as 30% below industry averages.

"Searching for HR position? Do yourself a favor and keep looking"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great resume booster - Good products

Cons

- Only two kinds of workers here: those who are on their phones/reading books all day while passing their work off to others or those who are so overworked there is no time to breathe
    - High turnover in HR
    - Expected to babysit everyone, even your boss because they are not professional enough to keep track of their own work
    - Supervisors that don't know what you do but say you don't do enough
    - Supervisors that look for "small wins" instead of larger/big picture wins
    - Micromanage but preach they don't
    - Ask for help and they tell you your not doing your job but then tell you to ask for help if you need it
    - Double standard for everything - can do a process like you were told but then told you are doing it wrong
    - No work/life balance
    - Would NOT recommend to a good friend...would recommend to someone you are looking to get back at or revenge for something really really bad
    - May not only experience 'workmares' but will also start fantasizing about getting in a car accident so you don't have to go to work every day
    - Don't expect a raise even with hard work
    - Be prepared for someone outside the company to get the job you want to move up to even if you're qualified (they will come up with excuses or ignore you until the other person is hired and it's "too late")
    - You are made to be the "face" of certain things even if you don't have the authority so directors don't take the heat for it not being completed (don't worry though, you'll get blamed for something not getting done when you've been waiting for a signature)

Advice to Management

HAHA! Management doesn't look at reviews or care...

"Solid company, changing quickly, great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an organization which has changed rapidly in the past 5 years. Offers strong benefit package and truly cares about the opinions of its employees. Strong ties to the community, encourages volunteering and gives away hundreds of thousands of dollars annually.

Cons

Some tenured employees are having difficulty adjusting to changes in the business.

Advice to Management

Keep on investing in technology, it will support your strategy and pace.

"Customer Service Department"

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

Friends, friends like family. Close to home.

Cons

Customer Support Department has poor middle management. Poor leaders. They have no connections with their employees. Reviews are based on personal agendas and opinions, not facts.

Advice to Management

Eliminate middle management. Listen to employees. Weed out poor communicators and mangers with agendas.

"Small company that has grown in the right direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitewater, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitewater, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My co-workers and I are all very close; like family. We have a blast working together and can accomplish a lot as a team.

There is a lot of room for growth and advancement, especially when you come in at entry-level positions. I moved from an Assembly Line Operator all the way up to a salary job in Materials!

There are clear goals and values held by upper management, that flows down through the company. The morals and ethics of the workforce are top-notch, and everyone tries really hard to hit their goals.

Cons

Entry level pay and benefits are at or below industry standard.

No music on the shop floor! :(

Advice to Management

Follow through on promises to employees. There's nothing worse than being offered something only to have it not happen or, worse, be taken away.

"Lucky I had to give a star"

Former Employee - Assembly Line in Eagle, WI
    Former Employee - Assembly Line in Eagle, WI

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No pros to be giving

Cons

After 12.5 years I got let go for battling blood cancer nearly dying I was told I no longer have a job not being able to get my jacket or say my good-bye to the co-workers that became family treated like I had killed ppl

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bullies and never call us family if we done get treated like it

"Perfect if you absolutely need a job!"

Current Employee - Distributor Support in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Distributor Support in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Long Lunches, Opportunity To Move To Another Department Quick, fairly laid back management style

Cons

No official training class for the position you are hired for. Training style is very outdated(example: you sit at computer with a coworker or supervisor, they run through how they were trained, send you back to your desk and expect you to perform). Minimal hands on training. No paper or electronical procedures/policies available to assist your customers. Procedure changes are given to the employees by word of mouth 90% of the time. No sense of direction from management regarding how to run the team as efficiently as possible. No sense of ownership regarding customers inquiries. Very toxic culture, multiple rude and unprofessional employees, including upper management. Every department has their own jargon and either has procedures that directly conflicts with another department or they don't know who does what. No sense of everyone being part of one team.

Advice to Management

Push for company change. Don't accept broken practices as the norm. Set your employees up for succes. Embrace a suggestion box for immediate feedback.

8. "Shipping Coordinator"

Pros

Excellent benefits including Flex spend.

Cons

Sort of a static environment as far as promotions.

Advice to Management

Hire from within to improve morale.

"Fast Past growing company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company, Exciting Challenges, Mentoring/ Coaching environment between managers/ Direct reports.

Cons

401k could be better,

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage mentoring/ coaching relationships, continue to grow benefits package, increase 401k

"Generac is kinda like that creepy uncle. Touchy and no one likes them."

Former Employee - Welder in Eagle, WI
    Former Employee - Welder in Eagle, WI

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was fine, I guess

Cons

Everything. Managers, owner, workers, HR

Advice to Management

Stop sucking