General Atomics Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
General Atomics Chairman and CEO Neal Blue
Neal Blue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule, 7% pension, 401K match and very reasonable health benefits (in 67 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule for most departments, Flexible working condition (in 30 reviews)

"Software engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Poway, CA

I worked at General Atomics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not really much to speak of unless you like being lazy, take 3 hours lunch, do little work and be in a dead end job with zero potential in promotion and nothing to learn.

Cons

You want a paycheck only and dont care about learning anything and want to rot in your dead end job work here. Management is clulesd. Lots of fancy process document that not a single engineer follows, its all for show. Pay is poor and technology is poorer. If you want learn something new in technology this aint the place. Dont waste your valuable time here. Its boring. Couldnt wait to get the hell out.

Advice to Management

Management doesnt have a clue.

May 11, 2017 – Systems Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We take feedback such as yours very seriously. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further in efforts to gain greater insight into... More

"Amazing!"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at General Atomics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is amazing that this company has stayed in business, probably only because it is propped up by the Blue's other businesses.

Cons

Every negative review you've read is true. Low wages, lack of opportunity, poor management, incompetence, and sexism. There are a handful of talented people and most are leaving. The only women that advance are the ones that play up their sexuality.

Advice to Management

Go back to the shipyard. Advise to the Blues: sell off the engineering business to a defense contractor that knows what they're doing.

May 11, 2017 – Systems Administrator

"Out-Dated Business Model with Poor Management"

Current Employee - Data Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Data Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company provides a decent 401k and retirement.
    Work is not hard or challenging in anyway.
    Easy place to ride out to retirement without having to do much at all.
    The only stress is from trying to figure out their outdated processes

Cons

I started here in 2016 and thought they must have invented a time machine and transported me back to the 80's based on how they run things.
    Tasks that take seconds at other government contractors take days due to the archaic way they insist everything be done.
    Managers in higher positions refuse to learn or adapt to new technologies or ideas.
    I am a male but I have noticed most of the executive management are males and often talk down to any women who bring up ideas that challenge or don't reflect the opinion of the bosses.
    Management is non-responsive and likes to pass blame for any negativity, for example:
    An executive cost the company thousands of dollars because he simply refused to open his email and sign a document so we could comply with our contract. Instead he sat on it and ignored my pleas to complete this until his assistant came back to work and had him complete it. I was then blamed for the lateness, when I explained what occurred I was told "I need to find a more creative way of dealing with him". That kind of stuff happens everyday at the company.

Advice to Management

Create a more diverse environment, especially in the higher executive management level.
    Stop using outdated technology and open up to new ideas
    Stop catering to old men in high positions who refuse to do their jobs or simply don't know how to do their jobs anymore and replace them with people who want to make the company a success, not just ride out an easy retirement.

"Director"

I have been working at General Atomics full-time

Pros

Interesting Tech and science
    Great location

Cons

Out dated management style circa 1960's
    Advancement based on tenure verses performance

"Don't Waste Talent Here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're the type of person that wishes to ride out 9 hours a day in a cubicle until retirement/death without changing or being challenged then this place would be a positive for you.
    Management is extremely hands-off especially when it comes to training, feedback, or general directions.
    It's almost impossible to be terminated here. Several people have committed numerous security and policy violations but due to their place in the company, they were allowed to keep their positions and policies were adjusted to accommodate their incompetence.

Cons

The pay is very low for the area, salaries are higher in less expensive areas of the country. Management gives no training or direction, just complaints when projects aren't the way they "envisioned". Sexism is rampant, If you're a female, prepared to be talked down to and passed over for any specialized training or projects. If you create ideas that will save the company money and increase efficiency, they will put them down and say how stupid they are unless you are a male and suggest the same ideas a few months later. Then you will get awards.

Advice to Management

To be honest I don't think management cares enough to read any "advice". They encouraged employees to fill out these profiles because they are having trouble recruiting.
    My only advice is that your company doesn't exist in a vacuum. You have to develop and evolve to stay competitive. Listen to new ideas, and just because they are coming from a female, doesn't mean they are bad ideas.

"Misogynistic at best"

Former Employee - Planner in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Planner in San Diego, CA

I worked at General Atomics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are opportunities for growth

Cons

While there are opportunities for growth it is 98% male and if you are a woman who is between the ages of 18 and 40 you will be made to feel uncomfortable over and over again.

Advice to Management

Most of the male management are who made me feel the most uncomfortable, kept record of all inappropriate texts and emails I received just in case but ultimately did not want the headache of reporting because HR made everything worse when they would be involved with anything.

Jan 27, 2017 – Systems Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We appreciate the feedback and regret that you had this experience with General Atomics and affiliated companies. We encourage you to reach out in... More

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

The only pro is the Benefits

Cons

Do not work for this company unless you plan on giving up your life and other commitments. They work you like a dog! Lots of overtime without extra compensation. Approximately 20 hrs overtime a week that I'm averaging!

Advice to Management

Hire more people so we all can see our families more often.

"Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at General Atomics (More than 5 years)

Pros

9/80 Workweek. Good co-workers. Not much else.

Cons

Management is incompetent. Executive management is incompetent. Tons of labor law suits against the company. HR is very one sided and will coerce employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and stop stifling change

"Poor management very political"

Former Employee - Technical Publications in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Publications in Poway, CA

I worked at General Atomics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every other Friday off
    Cool Technology
    Three year vested pension (take it and run)
    Poway has nice weather (i am only still writing because I needed twenty words)

Cons

Vacation and sick days combined.
    Zero-employee development.
    Your rank in the military determines where you can go.
    Do nothing an get paid mentality.
    Zero recognition for key contributors

Advice to Management

Enroll in Management 101, just because you were an officer in the military doesn't mean you understand management in the corporate world.

Grow and develop talent. Continually evolve and learn new skills. Find better ways to do things. Strive for process improvement.

"Fsr"

Former Employee - Field Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at General Atomics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, pay, technology, travel, money. Place is ok. People are ok. Work is ok. No room for growth. Don't expect much.

Cons

No room for growth. Don't bother. They lie to you. Layoffs are coming. Management is good old boy system.

Advice to Management

Get a life