General Atomics Reviews | Glassdoor

General Atomics Reviews

Updated April 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • 7% Pension, 3% 401k match, subsidized health care, 9/80 work week, Great people (in 60 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule for most departments, Flexible working condition (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Great place to work but somewhat difficult to find a work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Some growing pains as the company expands (in 10 reviews)

"Out-Dated Business Model with Poor Management"

Current Employee - Data Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Data Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company provides a decent 401k and retirement.
    Work is not hard or challenging in anyway.
    Easy place to ride out to retirement without having to do much at all.
    The only stress is from trying to figure out their outdated processes

Cons

I started here in 2016 and thought they must have invented a time machine and transported me back to the 80's based on how they run things.
    Tasks that take seconds at other government contractors take days due to the archaic way they insist everything be done.
    Managers in higher positions refuse to learn or adapt to new technologies or ideas.
    I am a male but I have noticed most of the executive management are males and often talk down to any women who bring up ideas that challenge or don't reflect the opinion of the bosses.
    Management is non-responsive and likes to pass blame for any negativity, for example:
    An executive cost the company thousands of dollars because he simply refused to open his email and sign a document so we could comply with our contract. Instead he sat on it and ignored my pleas to complete this until his assistant came back to work and had him complete it. I was then blamed for the lateness, when I explained what occurred I was told "I need to find a more creative way of dealing with him". That kind of stuff happens everyday at the company.

Advice to Management

Create a more diverse environment, especially in the higher executive management level.
    Stop using outdated technology and open up to new ideas
    Stop catering to old men in high positions who refuse to do their jobs or simply don't know how to do their jobs anymore and replace them with people who want to make the company a success, not just ride out an easy retirement.

"Director"

I have been working at General Atomics full-time

Pros

Interesting Tech and science
    Great location

Cons

Out dated management style circa 1960's
    Advancement based on tenure verses performance

"Don't Waste Talent Here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're the type of person that wishes to ride out 9 hours a day in a cubicle until retirement/death without changing or being challenged then this place would be a positive for you.
    Management is extremely hands-off especially when it comes to training, feedback, or general directions.
    It's almost impossible to be terminated here. Several people have committed numerous security and policy violations but due to their place in the company, they were allowed to keep their positions and policies were adjusted to accommodate their incompetence.

Cons

The pay is very low for the area, salaries are higher in less expensive areas of the country. Management gives no training or direction, just complaints when projects aren't the way they "envisioned". Sexism is rampant, If you're a female, prepared to be talked down to and passed over for any specialized training or projects. If you create ideas that will save the company money and increase efficiency, they will put them down and say how stupid they are unless you are a male and suggest the same ideas a few months later. Then you will get awards.

Advice to Management

To be honest I don't think management cares enough to read any "advice". They encouraged employees to fill out these profiles because they are having trouble recruiting.
    My only advice is that your company doesn't exist in a vacuum. You have to develop and evolve to stay competitive. Listen to new ideas, and just because they are coming from a female, doesn't mean they are bad ideas.

"Salary"

Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Poway, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

9/80, your own office

Cons

HR doesn't know what they are doing

Advice to Management

Grow within

"San Diego, Escon..Stay away"

Current Employee - Engineer in Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Escondido, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experience gained... nothing else will be gained. Build your resume if you must but then move on.

Cons

Managers placed based solely on years in service and product knowlege, zero people skills and arrogant. Managers step all over themselves while trying to engineer and manage to others.

Advice to Management

Seek management candidates externally to rid the company of poor legacy leading others.

"Old School"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at General Atomics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects and unique opportunities

Cons

Red tape, old management style, felt like working in a cave. This was the commercial/defense side. Employees were lifers or only stayed less than a year.

8. "Former Employee @ GA-ASI"

Former Employee - Systems Project Engineer in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Project Engineer in Poway, CA

I worked at General Atomics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Small company with a lot of potential to learn
    Great benefits
    9/80 work schedule

Cons

Overall company is still growing
    Employee work load is not balanced well by some managers

9. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Logistics Development Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Logistics Development Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at General Atomics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great pay, amazing co-workers

Cons

While the company is growing, many areas are feeling the associated growing pains in areas such as management and corporate structure. Overall, however, the company is great to work for.

10. "Aeronautical Systems"

Current Employee - Buyer in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Poway, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people, approachable management, benefits

Cons

Lack of accountability, interdepartmental communication

Advice to Management

Encourage communication between departments and cross-training. Work more towards long-term solutions instead of just short-term ones that are more costly in the long run. Use systems and programs to their full potential. Otherwise keep treating your employees well and nurturing your caring company culture as you grow!

11. "EMS"

I have been working at General Atomics full-time

Pros

- Develops cutting edge technology; it's interesting work, and it's also a source of pride to be a part of a group that is growing as it transitions from R&D to Production.
    - Smart people, who work well together;
    - Strong culture and values, with focus on its Customers
    - Smart Senior Management. Employees understand the goals, and where we're going as a company
    - Good benefits!

Cons

Only one part of the GA offers 9/80 work schedule. EMS does not offer it. So work-life balance at EMS is non-existent. And the division risks burning out bright, energetic employees.

Advice to Management

Offer work-life balance opportunities to employees across the entire company as way to attract and retain top talent! Keep doing a great job communicating the vision of EMS.