General Atomics Reviews | Glassdoor

General Atomics Reviews

Updated February 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • 7% Pension, 3% 401k match, subsidized health care, 9/80 work week, Great people (in 57 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule for most departments, Flexible working condition (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Great place to work but somewhat difficult to find a work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Some growing pains as the company expands (in 10 reviews)

"Good company and good benifits"

Current Employee - Weapons Technician in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Weapons Technician in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

awesome people, great benefits, relaxed environment, quick rotations for deployments, work load is spread out evenly and fairly to everyone.

Cons

Deployment rate if you don't like being gone/away from family, some miscommunication between HQ and job site locations, not a lot of room for growth or transitioning to other positions.

"Test Engineer"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Poway, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits, ability to move within the company relatively easily

Cons

politics within the company, promotion of incompetence, the culture where they think it is a privilege for you to have a job working for them

Advice to Management

Work on retention and employee morale

3. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We support the needs of the warfighter.

Cons

Multiple locations makes getting meetings difficult.

"Mostly great place to work."

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work! I like my job and work with good people. Good benefits and it's not a cubicle farm, at a certain level you get a private office

Cons

I have a great boss and most are, it depends on the Director. I work with Facilities often and the Director there is beyond terrible, the stories I hear about her , harassing, bullying and beating down her people. She hides the abuse of her staff from other managers, her people say they have to be on anti anxiety and blood pressure meds. She's so difficult to work with and It's embarrassing that our company allows her behavior. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Advice to Management

No harassment for anyone, we have a lot of good people here. Really bad Directors need to go! Everyone deserves to be treated respectfully and professionally. Make this a good place to work for us all.

Dec 12, 2016 – Systems Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We appreciate you sharing this feedback and we encourage you to call our anonymous support helpline at (858) 455-4545 and leave a message with more ... More

"Great company, Management integrity in question"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work-life flexibility, fitness center, pension, vacation time off, Vanguard 401k company match contribution, no micro-managing. Great culture.

Cons

No-micromanaging, yes, many staff members need this. Lack of integrity, band-aid fixes and lying. Management rewards poor work ethic with annual awards and cash bonuses. Hard workers are the unsung heroes. Poor values.

Advice to Management

More oversight on colleagues is needed to ensure the company is working at 100%, or more, capacity. Hard-working staff are not given enough recognition.

"Misogynistic at best"

Former Employee - Planner in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Planner in San Diego, CA

I worked at General Atomics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are opportunities for growth

Cons

While there are opportunities for growth it is 98% male and if you are a woman who is between the ages of 18 and 40 you will be made to feel uncomfortable over and over again.

Advice to Management

Most of the male management are who made me feel the most uncomfortable, kept record of all inappropriate texts and emails I received just in case but ultimately did not want the headache of reporting because HR made everything worse when they would be involved with anything.

Jan 27, 2017 – Systems Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We appreciate the feedback and regret that you had this experience with General Atomics and affiliated companies. We encourage you to reach out in ... More

8. "Awesome company with lots of growth"

Current Employee - Worker in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Worker in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

9/80 is very accommodating to work/life balance. Leadership can be slow to change/adapt but everyone does. New products developed with a very aggressive growth plan. Senior leadership wants to see this company succeed. The owners are will to invest money into the company to see it move into the future. Veteran friendly. Overall, awesome company to work for!

Cons

Pay is often slow to catch up to industry standard but it eventually does. The company has not yet adapted for Millennial workers, very military centric (not always a bad thing, but it could drive away young talent).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing! Keep in mind all workers (current and future) when developing organizational charts and structures. More cross-functional teams...Ratworks is a good start.

Jan 27, 2017 – Systems Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review about your experience with General Atomics and affiliated companies.

"ASI - Expanding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I have been working at General Atomics (More than a year)

Pros

Relatively good job security due to robust drone sales.
    Challenging work, at least from what I can see initially.
    Good people, at least at my level.

Cons

Company structure, and news not always evident, at least in my area.
    Product documentation doesn't always seem easy to discover.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent Drone sales!
    The time charging software is not always easy to use. 16
    Thanks for the grass-fed burgers in at least one cafe.

"Management Top Heavy"

Current Employee - Finance in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Poway, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, including full medical, dental, retirement and 401K and tuition reimbursement and a 9/80 work schedule which gives us every other Friday off.

Cons

Entry level salaries very low. Annual raises avg. 3% to a max of 5% per year. Impossible to reach competitive pay within the company if start as entry level. Good for getting experience but company looses a lot of brilliant minds due to non--competitive wages. Some departments are very top heavy with multiple layers of management with one manager per 5 staff members. Not enough workers and too much management Many employees work in excess of 60 hrs. a week. Salaried employees expected to work until work is done without additional pay, but if they are sick are required to take CAL or go unpaid just like and hourly person.

Advice to Management

When employees leave the company it takes too long to replace them and once hired there is inadequate training, making it difficult for new employees to succeed.

"ga"

Current Employee - Engineer IV in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer IV in Poway, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good near and long term prospects for stability, no mass layoffs

Cons

no flextime or work from home

Advice to Management

too many chiefs not enough indians to do the work