General Cable Reviews in Kentucky | Glassdoor

Kentucky

3.1
Michael T. McDonnell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Really great benefits including 3% 401k employer automatic contribution plus matching half of first 6% of employee contribution (in 7 reviews)

• good benefits and nice peoples to work with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management tends to flip flop on decisions (in 9 reviews)

• New CEO is familiar with this and is addressing (in 5 reviews)

1. "Specification Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Diversity, Teamwork, Strength Process, Core values, high interaction with customer/manufacturing plants in North America

Cons

Standardized work day to day. Stock event sale twice a year.

2. "Unfulfilling work"

Former Intern - Corporate Accounting Intern in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
    Former Intern - Corporate Accounting Intern in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I worked at General Cable as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Good launch pad to get another job

Cons

Monotonous, meaningless work
    Nothing to do for several weeks at a time

Advice to Management

Give interns projects during the three weeks per month they have nothing to do

"Women don't go there!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I worked at General Cable full-time

Pros

Gym on site. Company cafeteria.

Cons

They do not promote women to GM positions. They promote unqualified men over females. They let go (find a reason to get rid of) female Managers at a much higher rate than men. To the tune of 20 Managers, Directors and Vice Presidents in 3 years. The old boys club puts on a friendly face but is covertly hostile to women. The new CEO is a master at it. The health insurance is terrible 8k deductible before they pay anything toward a family's medical expenses. They got
     rid of the pension and retiree medical and did not even tell anyone! Plus there is no work life balance!

Advice to Management

Walk the talk. Show you care by improving the medical benefits. Promote qualified women.

"management review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Changes come about all of the time. They are trying to transform the culture and the company all of the time. Pay is in line with market

Cons

Advancement is possible but it is highly subjective based upon your current boss. A star at one time is a new manager away from being run out.

Advice to Management

Evaluate personnel on a objective basis with a coordinated scale between all levels of management. Promote actual change instead of forcing current activity into a new filter

5. "Culture currently transforming to a fun, millennial friendly place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great benefits including 3% 401k employer automatic contribution plus matching half of first 6% of employee contribution. Flexible working hours, work locations (remote), autonomy, not a stuffy culture. Sr leadership seeks and values employee feedback.

Cons

Currently going through transformation with business results that are up and down. Changes are necessary and will lead to brighter future but can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Continue the focus on modernize the workplace and transforming the business.

6. "Product Manager"

Former Employee - Product Management in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
    Former Employee - Product Management in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I worked at General Cable full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people
    Great benefits
    Autonomy in your job

Cons

Matrix organization
    Quality of manufacturing low
    Loss of focus from top management

Advice to Management

Please go back to what GCC did well in the beginning....providing the highest quality product with the best customer service in the business. Do not skimp on quality anymore and hold the production facilities accountable for their issues.

"Headed in the Right Direction!"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Highland Heights, KY
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Highland Heights, KY

Pros

I've been working at General Cable for a little over a year, and this is my first job right out of college. I can honestly say that it's been an amazing first impression in to the adult, working world. The company has released its new, optimized strategy and internal culture brand. This has accounted for renewed enthusiasm across the global company and I have been exposed to more learning opportunities than I could have ever dreamed of. My team is very accommodating and inclusive to everyone, so there's a lot of high-energy positivity in my environment. In a global headquarters setting the friendliness I experience every day is unprecedented. Even as a millennial, I can see myself staying with this company for a long time.

Cons

The building forces people to be very segmented by department, so it is sometimes difficult to meet new people. However, General Cable encourages a lot a cross-functional work and provides many opportunities to mix with other employees. We often have fun events for this purpose set up by our Employee Engagement and Diversity Teams.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Dynamic environment... great colleagues!"

Current Employee - Director in Highland Heights, KY
    Current Employee - Director in Highland Heights, KY

Pros

Excellent opportunity to make a positive impact, great colleagues, fast pace and dynamic environment. Exciting work taking place in multiple parts of the company - empowered to make the right decisions and challenged to pursue continuous improvement.

Cons

No significant cons from my perspective - I enjoy the pace and positive changes occurring within the organization.

"General Cable: The Place Where Careers in Finance & Accounting Go to Die"

Current Employee - FINANCE STAFF in Highland Heights, KY
    Current Employee - FINANCE STAFF in Highland Heights, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. Free parking
    2. Free coffee
    3. Free gym

Cons

Lack of Leadership: Everyone outside of General Cable is familiar with the results; restated 10-K’s, poor internal controls that resulted in a massive fraud in Brazil and bribing of officials that resulted in violations of the foreign corrupt practices act. How did all of this happen over the last few years? Easy, poor leadership at the VP and Executive VP levels. The poor leadership is particularly bad in the Global Controller and CFO roles. Their incompetence has resulted in these problems for which General Cable has never been able to rebound from. So how do they demonstrate their incompetence? Let me count the ways;
    (1) lack of technical skills – If you enjoy that deer-in-the-headlights look from your boss when you pose a technical question to them, then General Cable’s finance departments are the place for you.
    (2) lack of engagement with their direct reports and other departments.
    (3) fear of decision making: I’ve never seen a collective group of adults pee down their legs as frequently as the VPs and Executive VPs do when they are faced with making a decision.

Advice to Management

The lot of you should find different careers.

"Dysfunction Junction"

Former Employee - Finance in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
    Former Employee - Finance in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I worked at General Cable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a white male you will thrive in this highly political climate. Also you don't have to think or innovate because Greg Lampert, CEO will do it for you. As he has zero confidence in the leadership within the organization and thinks only his opinion matters. Therefore the company can go on about their evolving culture but rest assured that the same tirades and lack of enthusiasm from their top leader will be sure not change anything. Company is great at maintaining the status quo and never really trying to do things differently.

Cons

Dysfunction and negligence have led this company to their demise. Multiple restatements and foreign corruption practice charges are just what the public knows about. But what they don't know is that no action was taken at the top. General Cable continues to let their CEO who was overseeing all this corrupt business remain on his throne. However he constantly criticizes and micro manages his leadership, rather than serving as a change agent.

Advice to Management

The company will never change with the same political bullying tactics at the helm.