General Cable Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 14, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael T. McDonnell

Pros
  • Really great benefits including 3% 401k employer automatic contribution plus matching half of first 6% of employee contribution (in 7 reviews)

• good benefits and nice peoples to work with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management tends to flip flop on decisions (in 9 reviews)

• New CEO looks promising but not sure I can wait for the changes to occur (in 5 reviews)

1. "Specification Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Diversity, Teamwork, Strength Process, Core values, high interaction with customer/manufacturing plants in North America

Cons

Standardized work day to day. Stock event sale twice a year.

2. "Great employer"

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Manchester, NH

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work hard at keeping people happy.

Cons

No bad things to say really.

3. "Culture currently transforming to a fun, millennial friendly place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great benefits including 3% 401k employer automatic contribution plus matching half of first 6% of employee contribution. Flexible working hours, work locations (remote), autonomy, not a stuffy culture. Sr leadership seeks and values employee feedback.

Cons

Currently going through transformation with business results that are up and down. Changes are necessary and will lead to brighter future but can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Continue the focus on modernize the workplace and transforming the business.

"Ok but not really Ok"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willimantic, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willimantic, CT

I have been working at General Cable (Less than a year)

Pros

Most people are very good to work with.
    The new CEO has the best positive attitude of any leader in this company.
    You can advance if you really really work hard.
    Excited to see the new direction in which this company has the potential to grow.

Cons

Horrible remarks are made everyday. I am totally uncomfortable working here and feel that I have been treated with the most disrespect I could ever have imagined. Being thrown under the bus is an everyday occurrence and I am told not to speak up because I will say something stupid because I lack an education. All of the above complaints are directed towards management, which is very disturbing considering these are the people that in a way have control over the advancement of our careers.

Advice to Management

Treat others as you would like to be treated and please take in to account that what people do here in all positions is important to grow our company for the better.

"Headed in the Right Direction!"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Highland Heights, KY
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Highland Heights, KY

Pros

I've been working at General Cable for a little over a year, and this is my first job right out of college. I can honestly say that it's been an amazing first impression in to the adult, working world. The company has released its new, optimized strategy and internal culture brand. This has accounted for renewed enthusiasm across the global company and I have been exposed to more learning opportunities than I could have ever dreamed of. My team is very accommodating and inclusive to everyone, so there's a lot of high-energy positivity in my environment. In a global headquarters setting the friendliness I experience every day is unprecedented. Even as a millennial, I can see myself staying with this company for a long time.

Cons

The building forces people to be very segmented by department, so it is sometimes difficult to meet new people. However, General Cable encourages a lot a cross-functional work and provides many opportunities to mix with other employees. We often have fun events for this purpose set up by our Employee Engagement and Diversity Teams.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Dynamic environment... great colleagues!"

Current Employee - Director in Highland Heights, KY
    Current Employee - Director in Highland Heights, KY

Pros

Excellent opportunity to make a positive impact, great colleagues, fast pace and dynamic environment. Exciting work taking place in multiple parts of the company - empowered to make the right decisions and challenged to pursue continuous improvement.

Cons

No significant cons from my perspective - I enjoy the pace and positive changes occurring within the organization.

7. "Great Co-op Position"

Current Employee - Co-Op in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
    Current Employee - Co-Op in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

Pros

Very nice company culture, very friendly people in charge of the co-op program and the work is very real and very important. You won't be wasting time doing nothing, the work you do is critical and you'll be working with people in high levels of management. Lots of cross-departmental work and the commute is easy because you're going the opposite direction of traffic if living in Ohio.

Cafeteria serves good food at a discount and there's a gym. Bosses seem results focused and praise high quality work. Also many company events that are paid for and this adds a lot to the fun of working there. Coworkers were always nice to talk to and helpful.

Cons

Not a lot of communication between sales department and engineering department. Attempts by very upper management to communicate goals of company didn't feel concrete and they didn't seem to have a clear idea of what exactly drove product value and what actions brought in revenue. Could have just been a communication problem.

8. "Senior SQL & BI developer & DBA"

Former Employee - SQL Developer, Database Administrator in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I worked at General Cable (Less than a year)

Pros

End to end a great company. Well organized & thoughtful people.

Cons

They need to you to get involved in a lot more than they can organize and permit you to.

Advice to Management

Actively take care of those below you.

"Such a great experience working with this Fortune 500 Company - would not think of leaving!"

Current Employee - Associate in Highland Heights, KY
    Current Employee - Associate in Highland Heights, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

General Cable has always been kind to me and given me many opportunities to learn and grow within the company. The company has invested thousands of dollars in my development with industry training. They just instituted an awesome vacation purchasing program where we can buy up to an additional week of vacation and the medical, dental and life insurance benefits are fantastic!

Cons

In every company there are politics the higher up the ranks you go. One of the biggest challenges is the company's matrix organization where you may report directly to a manager but have several dotted line managers. Everyone has their own agenda and none of the managers talk to each other, so you can be pulled in a lot of direction. To be successful, you really have to be flexible and patient. But the work is engaging and keeps you challenged every single day. Every day is a learning experience!

Advice to Management

Better communication to all levels of the company.

"very professional folks - great environment - positive, professional attitudes, contemporary philosophies, practices"

Current Contractor - Software Developer in Highland Heights, KY
    Current Contractor - Software Developer in Highland Heights, KY

I have been working at General Cable as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

top notch people, methodologies...relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

haven't really found any as yet

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing !