General Cable Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Michael T. McDonnell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Really great benefits including 3% 401k employer automatic contribution plus matching half of first 6% of employee contribution (in 7 reviews)

• good benefits and nice peoples to work with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management tends to flip flop on decisions (in 9 reviews)

• New CEO is familiar with this and is addressing (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Place, too bad it ended"

Former Employee - Engineer in Suffern, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in Suffern, NY

Pros

The pro's were the people in the group. They were very helpfull, and they encouraged you to go for it more in terms of finishing projects.

Cons

Upper Managment didn't have the company very stable. It lead to the office being shut down. The cons was that the company laied off a lot of workers due to the move from Suffern, NY to Highland Heights, KY

Advice to Management

You need to haveto have better upper management so that you don't kill the chemistry of the groups.

"I really enjoyed working at General Cable and loved the autonomy in which I was given within the company."

I worked at General Cable full-time

Pros

Autonomy, you set your own break schedule, was given the freedom and resources to implement your own ideas, family atmosphere, people were great, highly rewarded for safety.

Cons

Company closed facility,hourly pay could have been better.

3. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and job opportunities

Cons

No downsides that I saw

"Such a great experience working with this Fortune 500 Company - would not think of leaving!"

Current Employee - Associate in Highland Heights, KY
    Current Employee - Associate in Highland Heights, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

General Cable has always been kind to me and given me many opportunities to learn and grow within the company. The company has invested thousands of dollars in my development with industry training. They just instituted an awesome vacation purchasing program where we can buy up to an additional week of vacation and the medical, dental and life insurance benefits are fantastic!

Cons

In every company there are politics the higher up the ranks you go. One of the biggest challenges is the company's matrix organization where you may report directly to a manager but have several dotted line managers. Everyone has their own agenda and none of the managers talk to each other, so you can be pulled in a lot of direction. To be successful, you really have to be flexible and patient. But the work is engaging and keeps you challenged every single day. Every day is a learning experience!

Advice to Management

Better communication to all levels of the company.

5. "Senior SQL & BI developer & DBA"

Former Employee - SQL Developer, Database Administrator in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I worked at General Cable (Less than a year)

Pros

End to end a great company. Well organized & thoughtful people.

Cons

They need to you to get involved in a lot more than they can organize and permit you to.

Advice to Management

Actively take care of those below you.

6. "Great Co-op Position"

Current Employee - Co-Op in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
    Current Employee - Co-Op in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

Pros

Very nice company culture, very friendly people in charge of the co-op program and the work is very real and very important. You won't be wasting time doing nothing, the work you do is critical and you'll be working with people in high levels of management. Lots of cross-departmental work and the commute is easy because you're going the opposite direction of traffic if living in Ohio.

Cafeteria serves good food at a discount and there's a gym. Bosses seem results focused and praise high quality work. Also many company events that are paid for and this adds a lot to the fun of working there. Coworkers were always nice to talk to and helpful.

Cons

Not a lot of communication between sales department and engineering department. Attempts by very upper management to communicate goals of company didn't feel concrete and they didn't seem to have a clear idea of what exactly drove product value and what actions brought in revenue. Could have just been a communication problem.

"Exciting Opportunities & Meaningful Services"

Pros

From the business model to the culture, I'm so impressed and pleased to work for General Cable. Great benefits. Experienced management. Talented people. Excellent work place with supportive management, focused on building a great product and a great culture.

Cons

I did not had a chance to identify any cons that we were not able to correct right away.

"Dynamic environment... great colleagues!"

Current Employee - Director in Highland Heights, KY
    Current Employee - Director in Highland Heights, KY

Pros

Excellent opportunity to make a positive impact, great colleagues, fast pace and dynamic environment. Exciting work taking place in multiple parts of the company - empowered to make the right decisions and challenged to pursue continuous improvement.

Cons

No significant cons from my perspective - I enjoy the pace and positive changes occurring within the organization.

9. "Great company with great people"

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome company with a great focus on the employee experience. I have loved my time here at General Cable. I have been given several internal opportunities to grow and develop. The people are wonderful. It's truly a team environment. We have a cafeteria, gym, ping pong tables and yoga onsite. Our diversity committee recently put together an Expression Day which celebrated what makes each one of us unique. It was such a cool event. Big fan of the new CEO who has lunch in the cafeteria most days. This is a continuous improvement company so if you love change, this is the place to be.

Cons

None, it's becoming a more progressive company. I love our values created by employees.

"Headed in the Right Direction!"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Highland Heights, KY
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Highland Heights, KY

Pros

I've been working at General Cable for a little over a year, and this is my first job right out of college. I can honestly say that it's been an amazing first impression in to the adult, working world. The company has released its new, optimized strategy and internal culture brand. This has accounted for renewed enthusiasm across the global company and I have been exposed to more learning opportunities than I could have ever dreamed of. My team is very accommodating and inclusive to everyone, so there's a lot of high-energy positivity in my environment. In a global headquarters setting the friendliness I experience every day is unprecedented. Even as a millennial, I can see myself staying with this company for a long time.

Cons

The building forces people to be very segmented by department, so it is sometimes difficult to meet new people. However, General Cable encourages a lot a cross-functional work and provides many opportunities to mix with other employees. We often have fun events for this purpose set up by our Employee Engagement and Diversity Teams.

Advice to Management

N/A