General Dynamics Electric Boat Reviews in Connecticut | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeffrey S. Geiger

Pros
Cons
  • The town of New London seems to go out of their way to make life difficult for EB employees (in 26 reviews)

• Work/life balance is not encouraged in many groups (in 10 reviews)

"Ok"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New London, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to start a career. Overtime pay and flexible hours. Work is usually easy.

Cons

The work is not going to be at the cutting edge of engineering. Its fairly basic work. Most of the engineers don't do any actual engineering. Lots of paper pushing.

Advice to Management

As the company grows its competing for talent against the rest of the country, currently talent seems to be discouraged. The reason people stayed in the past was locally EB is the best, but to a non-local the job search is probably across the country not across southern Connecticut.

2. "Great Job for a Dad with three young toddlers."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Groton, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good job that allows for work/ life balance.

Cons

Hard to get to the real work (deep work), Red tape level is high

Advice to Management

Reduce the amount of time it takes to get product out. This will reduce cost to the taxpayer.

"Mechanical Engineer II"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in New London, CT

Pros

Fairly laid back, not that much pressure. Work can be very interesting depending on your department

Cons

Overcrowded facility. Company does not seem to care about employees one ounce. Benefits just seem to get worse every year. Poor raises. Employees often describe themselves as a "warm body with a degree."

5. "Mechanical Engineering Co-op"

Former Intern - Engineering Co-op Trainee in Groton, CT
    Former Intern - Engineering Co-op Trainee in Groton, CT

I worked at General Dynamics Electric Boat as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for internships w/ benefits

Exposure to a number of different systems

Interesting work depending on the department

Overall Good People

Job Security

Cons

Can be boring at times, work load really fluctuates

Retention for younger engineers is very low

Advice to Management

Give more challenging assignment for interns

Rotate interns between multiple department to give more exposure

"Great for new hires, bad for everyone else"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer I in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer I in New London, CT

Pros

- VERY willing to hire entry level people right out of college
    - Fun work! At least for mechanical engineers, the work is technically challenging and incredibly satisfying. You're always finding ways to apply your knowledge to something new...I learned about welds, submergence evaluations, and finite element analysis in my first few months here, and that was all beyond stuff I'd done in school. I'm never bored in terms of the work I get here, and more often than not time flies. Plus you're working on submarines! How frickin cool is that?
    - Great coworkers. Dependent on department of course, but the department I work in and the departments I've interacted with all have a very tight, close-knit, friendly atmosphere. There is a large percentage of younger adults (20-30) which is again great for college grads, but it is also very easy to get along with the older employees. At least within departments, there is a strong sense of everyone being on the same team, which has the nice benefit of minimizing work conflict.
    - Related to the young-ness of the departments, the social atmosphere and the after-work activities are great. There’s a bar right across from Electric Boat that a lot of employees go to. Mystic is amazing. Electric Boat has an athletic club for stuff from softball to archery, and discounts for concerts (such as in the nearby casinos, Foxwoods and Mohegan). There are even nerdier activities like Junkyard Wars that lets employees team up and compete in engineering challenges.
    - Lots of opportunities to switch between departments if you decide you don’t like the work you’re doing. People have switched from engineering to the shipyard very easily. EB’s a good place to pick up a bunch of varied skills this way and build a strong foundation.
    - The older engineers are very willing to share their huge well of knowledge with you (up to 40 years of it in some cases!).

Cons

- The older engineers are retiring/dying.
    - Upper management has been steadily taking away benefits from the employees. New hires (like me) don’t feel it as badly, but this has had a huge negative effect on the more experienced employees. For example, the master’s degree program with EB was recently changed, which hurt a lot of the employees which were in the program…especially those who weren’t grandfathered in and had to deal with a 4-5 year investment going down the drain. Another example is the PTO/sick leave merge, which cut down available time off by a lot. This was especially brutal to the employees who had been here ten years and missed the cutoff. A third example is the removal of family leave, which meant that new parents had to use their recently-reduced PTO to take care of their babies.
    - Due to this and other removed benefits, many experienced employees are moving on from the company. This has contributed to a huge attrition problem. This wouldn’t be so bad except for EB’s hiring practices. Because they tend to hire exclusively college grads (a pro for us younger people), they are replacing 5-10 years of experience and “tribal” knowledge of the submarine industry with 0 years of submarine knowledge. This has caused a brain drain in key departments that really hurts the company’s productivity and effectiveness.
    - The other side effect of this is the effect it will have on future new hires. When I came in two years ago, only one other person in my department (out of about 35) had been here less than two years. I had about twenty coworkers around me willing and able to help catch me up to their level. It was a great jumpstart to my career, my skillset, my knowledge base. Now, almost two-thirds of my department has been here for two years or less. The experienced engineers are stretched thin trying to hold up our department’s work (and make up for the people who left), as well as spend their spare time trying to bring us new hires up to speed. Unfortunately, EB’s aggressive hiring practices will result in an employee population that will become less and less knowledgeable of the submarine industry on average.
    - Part of what contributes to this problem is upper management. Upper management is out of touch and does not listen or communicate with employees. This can be seen in the removal of benefits and their unsustainable hiring policy, but also other things like the parking problem and the inefficient seating arrangements (see next bullet). And it’s not just a communication problem between upper management and the lowest rungs of the ladder, either. Once they settle on a “solution”, upper management seems to ignore supervisors’ and managers’ suggestions to improve the situation.
    - Parking. Oh man. This could take up its own review. I’ll just say that there are twice as many employees as there are parking spots for.
    - Related to that is the seating problem. Departments fight viciously over offices, cubicles, and even SEATS. Every room in New London is overfull, people have to squeeze together into open tables that were previously used for meetings. I’m pretty sure we violate a fire code somewhere.
    - In the pros, I spoke of a lot of opportunities for rotations. This is not to be confused with opportunities for ADVANCEMENTS. For example, I have a coworker with three more years of experience than me who is still paid the same rate I am. This is common. Many experienced coworkers will labor in a job they are now overqualified for, and underpaid for. This is again related to the upper management problem. A supervisor may acknowledge and recognize that you are talented, but the money does not “trickle down” far enough from upper management to give you a raise. EB is very friendly to a lot of parallel movement, not so much upward movement.
    - IN CONCLUSION: EB is absolutely amazing if you are a college grad or a young adult trying to build a solid foundation. Once you hit 5 years here, the observation is that there is a sudden, sharp drop off in reward for your work, support/attention from the company, and general happiness and satisfaction with life. I would recommend working here for a few years if only for the experience (frickin SUBMARINES!). If you’re looking to settle down, start a family, and cultivate a career, though, don’t expect any help from EB.

Advice to Management

Come up with a real plan for keeping employees for longer than five years, and quickly, before the attrition problem becomes catastrophic

"Great place to start and end your career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in New London, CT

Pros

Get to walk on a submarine and work with smart people

Cons

The company is poorly managed and there is little to no communication from management

Advice to Management

Better communication

"Get your couple years experience and get out"

Current Employee - Engineer in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Groton, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics Electric Boat (More than a year)

Pros

EB is a good place to get your initial experience and learn big industry management.

Cons

There is little focus on fixing the attrition problem. Also there is no fast way to progress in the company. The best way to get promoted is to find another job elsewhere. Also, parking really sucks!

Advice to Management

Stop screwing over the engineers that make this company what it is.

"Lazy culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

I worked at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for brainless work at a slow place, this is the employer for you. Everyone, from management to hourly worker, believes that there will be 30 years of work because of new contracts. The job should be secure, for now.

Cons

RED TAPE. Having a law degree for all the complicated paperwork might help. If a T isn't crossed, it could change the whole meaning of a work order! If an employee doesn't catch something, it is pretty much his/her fault, because everything is spelled out (or not spelled out) on the paperwork. This bureaucracy also makes it easy to stretch a job that might take 20 mins in the outside world, into a few days. It is obvious that the seasoned employees know how to play the game.

Advice to Management

Assign crew leaders to ensure a job is ready, and have said leader assign tasks to the crew. Rather than having workers stand around, and wait for actual work to start.

10. "Been a smooth 3 years at the boat"

Current Employee - Piping Designer in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Piping Designer in Groton, CT

Pros

Good schedule and easy as long as you get your work done Union is great as well. Good benefits and raises every few months

Cons

Parking is awful in new London. So many people with not enough parking for everyone. Car pooling makes it easier.

"Low employee morale"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in New London, CT

I worked at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your job will probably be very easy
    It's almost impossible to get fired if you don't violate security protocols
    Get to work on one of the most complicated systems there is
    Generally 40-45 hour work weeks

Cons

Finding a parking spot is like being in the Hunger Games
    EB does not really care about employee morale at all, which is low
    No attraction for younger employees to stay - work is slow, redundant, few opportunities for advancement or interesting projects,

Advice to Management

Figure out how to convince employees you care about their well-being
    Figure out a better parking solution