General Dynamics Electric Boat Reviews in Connecticut | Glassdoor

General Dynamics Electric Boat President Jeffrey S. Geiger
Jeffrey S. Geiger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I hear parking is terrible in New London, which I'm not familiar with since I had worked in Groton (in 28 reviews)

• Work/life balance is not encouraged in many groups (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Rewarding Career"

Current Employee - Supervisor in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Supervisor in New London, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of upward and lateral mobility if you make an effort. Captivating subject matter. Lots of smart people who are willing to help if asked the right questions. The right management allows for personal growth.

Cons

Lots of people seem to leave for new jobs after a short amount of time (1 or 2 years, sometimes months). Facets of the business are overly bureaucratic. Implementing improvements and change is difficult.

Advice to Management

Hire capable managers and supervisors who are smart and prove to be leaders who communicate.

"Good Company But Not Without Issues"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New London, CT

I worked at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GDEB is at first an exciting place to work, with a fascinating and unique product, a seemingly endless world of information to delve into, and a variety of quickly moving projects and problems to work on.

The workplace is very young (which in some senses can be a con) and for young employees there's a myriad of opportunities to get involved in and around the community (intramural sports, athletic clubs, volunteer opportunities, etc).

Cons

Many projects or design changes seem to have a preordained end state, leaving employees with limited creative freedom to explore alternate possibilities or approaches. This leads to the job becoming dull in an unexpectedly short period of time and while there is freedom to move between departments to explore new segments of the company, this isn't always encouraged or made easy.

Upper management also seems strangely disinterested (more then normal) in investing in employees and infrastructure/benefits that aren't directly connected to profit. This leads to a distrust of the company and lower employee morale that I didn't at first buy into, but over time it became clear that employees were justified in their distrust and frustration with upper management. This also is closely connected to a high turnover rate (thus the extremely young workforce) that is evident immediately when one joins the company.

Advice to Management

From an upper management level, small but genuine changes in how the company approaches issues like parking, benefits changes, and more, could go a long way to improving employee morale. There's a lot to like about working here but the well-founded distrust of upper management really drags down employee morale and ultimately directly impacts employee retention and even employee productivity.

3. "Inspirational and full of opportunities AND red tape..."

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in New London, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Truly awe-inspiring products. Ability to rotate through departments to find what interests you. Clear salary path and goals. Graduate studies partial reimbursement.

Cons

They treat salaried engineers like hourly workers with the time card system. The design union can be a real pain when you are trying to work efficiently. PARKING IS THE WORST.

Advice to Management

Hang in there!

"Engineer II"

Former Employee - Engineer II in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Engineer II in New London, CT

I worked at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young workforce, good mentors, wonderful learning experience if you're willing to put in the effort.

Cons

Company's stringent policies, benefit cuts, and the obvious never ending problem of PARKING!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees!

5. "15 years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have had great opportunities for advancement

Cons

There is never enough parking for the employees

"I'll be honest - this review would have been a lot worse if I had done it when I initially quit."

Former Employee - Engineer I in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Engineer I in New London, CT

I worked at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, job security, good location

Cons

Poor communication among and from management, poor benefits, inconsistent rules among different departments

"Great opportunity, frustrating hiring process"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New London, CT

Pros

Lots of opportunities in various departments, many people with a lot of knowledge to offer, openings for young engineers

Cons

Bureaucracy, Hiring process, and the issues that come with being a government contractor

Advice to Management

I was very excited to be working here, but the timeline for a security clearance as it relates to employment offer was not explained to me fully (including how long the offer stands without clearance or how you will handle clearances that are not granted in a timely manner). My offer was removed for not being able to get the clearance in time. You need to keep your future employees in the loop more about how long the process may take and when you need to terminate an offer. Communication with security and HR was very disappointing. It was infrequent and not prompt when needed, but I will admit they were understanding when I did speak with them. Most importantly though, nobody gave me the courtesy of a one-on-one call regarding my offer being revoked. I would have understood, but a letter in the mail with no phone call is very unprofessional. I am sure this is a great place to work for many reasons, but you should heavily consider the difficulties of working for a defense contractor... clearances take time and dictate the environment you will be working in.

"Decent starting salary for a first job but it's all down hill from there."

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New London, CT

I worked at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for lateral movements if you don't like your job. The three different sites allow three different environments (office, shipyard, manufacturing) for experience. Great job security.

Cons

Horrible raises (2%) and even worse bonuses ($750 max). Bad benefits for a company this size. Had to work every holiday to cover the Christmas plant shut down. Very little upward mobility. Expect to walk 20 minutes from your car to desk on your own time. Punch a clock and work 45 hours minimum. Groton shipyard is full of asbestos and radiation. Salary employees treated as disposable while hourly union employees worshiped.

Advice to Management

Give lower level management the ability to give real raises to your best people. Stop letting good employees walk out the door.

"Estimating"

Current Employee - Cost Estimator in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Cost Estimator in Groton, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex schedule. Interesting work. Great co-workers. Nice 401k match. Overtime if you want it. Workers tgat have been with company more than willing to mentor you.

Cons

Annual raises pathetic. Expect 2 to 3%. Nepotism throughout company. Promotions are very weak in pay. Not worth it if you get time and a half for OT. Many lateral movements but no increase in salary. If you are tapped by management you are golden but far and inbetween. Medical insurance aweful as only offer high deductable so you have a need to take your hard earned money and place in HSA which means less take in your pay. Communication is poor from upper management.

Advice to Management

Better pay increases, update the ERP system, better medical choices and much better communications is needed or attrition will only get worse. Bring back time and a half for all pay grades less than 15/14 or morale and dedication will continue to deteriorate.

"Stepping stone"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Groton, CT

Pros

Some pros, more cons. Will hire new hires and experienced candidates. Talent occurs here and there. Some people do care, most don't.

Cons

Cons exist, less pros. Parking a major problem. Benefits continually decrease. Pay is shallow. Raises are weak. Very crappy attitude by many.

Advice to Management

Communicate and listen