General Dynamics Information Technology Reviews in Alaska | Glassdoor

2.0
Amy Gilliland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management tends to show nepotism towards their peers (in 42 reviews)

• no room for growth or development unless someone left the company felt like a cog in a wheel at times (in 17 reviews)

"Could be so much more"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paychecks are always on time.
    Not much meddling by upper management.

Cons

Virtually no advancement opportunities.
    Low salaries (They cut employee pay in order to win a contract!)
    Veterans Day is not a company-recognized holiday despite veteran-heavy workforce and many military contracts.
    Lower-level management is ignored by mid and upper-level managers.

Advice to Management

When the government customer has family days and other holidays, allow employees to charge regular time instead of spending vacation hours.

"Defense Contracting is not for everybody"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Richardson, AK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Richardson, AK

Pros

GDIT knows how to work numbers like magic. Salaries in this particular contract are probably above and beyond what would be considered 'fair and reasonable', but there are drawbacks (explained in the Cons). If you are lucky enough to get onboard with a good crew, the overall welfare and moral of the entire site is extremely high. Not that there weren't any hardships in my career so far, but this job, in combination of the site and the crew, is one of the easiest jobs I have ever taken.

Cons

On the other hand, one of the biggest drawbacks is the way GDIT negotiates the contracts. I would almost welcome a cut-back in salary to earn a few more hours of leave. We are provided a limited number of hours of "general leave", which we have to use for everything, including vacations, sick days, family 'urgencies' (family emergencies are covered under the FMLA, which isn't paid), doctor appointments... Literally everything. You would be surprised how fast 2 weeks of paid leave is used up when you need to use it anytime that you're not onsite when you are contracted to be there.

Also, the job is not difficult, and at our site we are not particularly busy all of the time. But if our customer has a day off, why are we still required to work? There are at least 3 days per year when our customer is out of office, which means we have no other tenants onsite, which also means that there is usually no work that can be performed. Keeping us onsite when there is no one else around is a waste of fuel and energy, AND it takes yet another day away from us when we could be using the day to handle our personal business (as opposed to taking leave and handling it when our customer actually needs us).

One final note is that the listed job descriptions for each position is not concrete, nor are they final. There seems to be a lot of tasks that get filed under "other duties as assigned" because they are contractual requirements. For example, technicians and engineers are frequently required to instruct classes, even though there are dedicated instructors. Often the actual instructors are over-tasked, so other personnel usually step up to take up the slack even though it is not in their job description. Since instruction and training is our primary contract focus, everyone, including engineers and administrators, usually end up teaching a class or two just to satisfy the contract.

The contract stuff such as the benefits and the job descriptions are not exactly GDIT's fault. This contract that I am currently on is actually a subcontract from another company, and they are the ones that dictate what GDIT can offer us. I haven't worked for any other contract or division within GDIT, so much of my personal experiences may not necessarily reflect "the norm", but rather "the exception". I am under the impression from other GDIT employees throughout the organization that GDIT really is a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

The local leadership is generally awesome, but to the middle and senior management back at headquarters - PLEASE come visit us and watch what we do! See what we have to put up with! Get in touch with us little people and find out why we are struggling with embracing the way that your contracts are written and operated! A lot of our heartache can be avoided if the lines of communication were more fluid. There are no reasons why two sites, on the same contract, within 400 miles of each other, cannot agree on basic operational procedures, or have dissimilar views on how projects should be handled. In fact, I bet those back at HQ don't even know how we feel about the contract because there is no regular line of feedback available to us. Instead, we have to write reviews on Internet sites just to get heard!

Showing 2 of 1,561 reviews