General Dynamics Information Technology Reviews in Patuxent River, MD | Glassdoor

General Dynamics Information Technology Patuxent River Reviews

Patuxent River, MD

4.0
General Dynamics Information Technology President S. Daniel Johnson
S. Daniel Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is bonused on your business development and capture efforts (in 42 reviews)

• no room for growth or development unless someone left the company felt like a cog in a wheel at times (in 16 reviews)

1. "Good Company, Bad Timing"

Current Employee - ISSO in Patuxent River, MD
    Current Employee - ISSO in Patuxent River, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GDIT was a pretty good experience, unfortunately I came in on the end of the contract, so it was kind of shaky. But management and executives were good to work with. I was embedded in the customers program office, so I had very little interaction with actual GDIT people.

Cons

Pretty expensive healthcare. No tuition assistance.

2. "Government Contract"

Current Employee - Principal Info Assurance in Patuxent River, MD
    Current Employee - Principal Info Assurance in Patuxent River, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits like other contractors. I wish they had more incentives for workers with good track records with government clients.

Cons

Same as any government contractor. Re-competitions aren't nice to employees (Feel like you never know anything). Big company, so you feel like just a number with the HR dept.

"your "just a number""

Former Employee - Junior HELP DESK SUPPORT SPECIALIST in Patuxent River, MD
    Former Employee - Junior HELP DESK SUPPORT SPECIALIST in Patuxent River, MD

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They kept the pay checks coming.

Cons

You're just a minion for such a large company who can make a profit off your body/space.
    Unless your college degree was specific to the Job, it didn't count towards "experience".

Advice to Management

too many levels of management and unsure of who to report to.

"Good experience for working with one of the "big boys.""

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Patuxent River, MD
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Patuxent River, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has been very good to me, ensuring that I have received good raises in compensation for helping to improve relations with an unhappy and demanding customer.

They have periodic incentives to encourage employees to be more healthy. Like last year, they had a program where people tracked their walking/running and, if you exercised x times per week, your name went into a drawing. Some of the prizes were things like iPads and A WEEK OF PAID LEAVE.

Cons

In the current environment, with threats of sequestration and DoD budget cutbacks, working for any defense contractor can be a bit nerve-wracking.

From what I can see, most GDIT employees are embedded at customers' work sites. So your day-to-day work experience is much more affected by your government customer than by the the actual policies of your employer. Not really a CON, per se, but it can be if your customer is difficult and the GDIT management doesn't stand behind you.

I worked for a small contractor before and did have more of a sense there of being known as a person and not just an employee number.

Showing 4 of 1,480 reviews