General Dynamics Information Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

General Dynamics Information Technology President S. Daniel Johnson
S. Daniel Johnson

1,339 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is bonused on your business development and capture efforts (in 42 reviews)

• no room for growth or development unless someone left the company felt like a cog in a wheel at times (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Senior Principal Software Architect"

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Architect in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Architect in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GDIT has a Great Team consisting of experienced and knowledgeable managers who care for their employees. I have found the company to be a solid partner in my career, with an abundance of opportunities for advancement over the years.

Cons

The typical cons of any large scale company. Big companies have to have oversight on programs that small companies do not. There are reasons that employees need to fill out paperwork for expenditures; hint: it's not because the company hates you :)

Advice to Management

Focus on quality people, try to reduce as much as possible the big-company burdens and bureaucracy, and invest in your employees!

2. "Highly Dependant on the Customer"

Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in O'Fallon, IL
    Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in O'Fallon, IL

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice range of benefits and flexibility. Knowledgeable and dependable management and overall a good company to work for.

Cons

Working conditions can depend very highly on the customer and managements willingness to clearly manage deliverables and expectations. This can lead to high-stress situations that are more morale damaging than they need to be. Unless you are a senior or lead the compensation can be less than stellar.

Advice to Management

Happy Employees do great work. Engage more with your people and work on building careers to ensure employee loyalty and high performance

3. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Macdill AFB, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Macdill AFB, FL

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, promotions, and raises are nice.

Cons

Just like any other DoD contract job, they can't always win them all.

"Associate Specialist/CSR"

Former Employee - Associate Specialist in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Associate Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Good benefits and a nice facility to work in.

Cons

Double standards, favoritism, to many people from one family working in the facility and if they don't like you well then forget any opportunities for other duties or advancements also your opinion doesn't matter unless the so called management team likes you and if you bring up a concern to the center manager she acts like your the problem and you are bothering her.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees with respect whether your like them or not. Find something good about the people who come in on time and bust there tail to make you look good then maybe you can retain the good help. Back up all employees and give them the benefit of a doubt although that is to hard since you already have your targets for what ever their reason is. I guess GDIT has plenty of money to blow into this revolving door and it is easier to dismiss good employees who may need management's support and understanding of how difficult it is to be abused by the customers (not that many)and to be a target of hate for no apparent reason. I guess some folks are just scared of others who are just trying to make a living and it is easier to show them who is boss than it is to be a real leader.

5. "Customer service representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in

Cons

Doesn't give a lot of room for error

"Test Scorer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

Lots of down time.

Cons

Monotony, lack of supervisory support related to tasks.

7. "Excellent advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Manager, Customer Service in Riverview, FL
    Current Employee - Manager, Customer Service in Riverview, FL

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great leadership! Awesome people to work with.

Cons

Extremely fast paced and ever changing environment, but, that's what you signed up for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! That's why we're #1!

8. "Positions are tied to contracts assigned to, regardless of seniority or performance"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Iowa City, IA

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was competitive for the area, good benefits at first though they had been changing as time went by not for the best.

Cons

Federal contractor. If you are on a project with a long term contract, you are fine. Work is challenging and you are given opportunities to grow. If you're on a project that is lost and awarded to another contractor, lay off. Regardless of your seniority or performance over other employees in similar roles on other contracts. I was on vac when i was called and told I was laid off after 23 years. Fair warning, there is no severance. build up your vacation time as that is what will serve as any severance. Notice in lieu of severance is the favorite term of HR.

9. "Quality"

Current Employee - Quality in London, KY
    Current Employee - Quality in London, KY

Pros

The environment is laid-back, but productive. Management in our department truly listens and wants us to be viewed as teachers instead of the bad guys. Policies have to be followed in order to maintain the contract.

Cons

Consistency and subjectivity. The benefits stink for the price and need serious negotiation. Let us opt out, grandfathered employees have no safety net.

Advice to Management

Create a manner of so for appeals and audits, so that it eliminates discrepancies. It helps all of us know difinitively how to do our job. Follow the company's ethos. Legal, medical, and financial risk could occur from the callers if this is not followed.

10. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Springfield, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome environment and a great worklife balance.

Cons

Workload is not as intense as desired.

Advice to Management

Management needs to offer more direction.

Showing 1,339 of 1,433 reviews