General Dynamics Information Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

General Dynamics Information Technology President S. Daniel Johnson
S. Daniel Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is bonused on your business development and capture efforts (in 42 reviews)

• no room for growth or development unless someone left the company felt like a cog in a wheel at times (in 16 reviews)

"You are just a number"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I do not have any

Cons

Benefits are horrible. $5000 deductible for family plan. GDIT is basically passing out fake insurance. My son was not even 1 and they covered him only for "Substance Abuse Counseling." It took them months to fix it before I just dropped the insurance completely. Completely disorganized. Management is terrible.

Advice to Management

Hire more qualified managers... not just your friends.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Elmwood, LA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Elmwood, LA

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck. Maybe I will find a new job soon. I am looking.

Cons

I felt I had a moral imperative to post this review. Just stay away if you are a Software Engineer. It is the worst job I have ever had. You have been warned. The previous group of developers have all left that should tell you something.

They tell you they follow an Agile development process which is a lie. We have been in firefighting mode since I joined this organization. I don't expect anything to change.

Software Engineers are basically fall guys. The deployment process is a crap shoot 70% of deployments fail and have to be fixed. You basically have to troubleshoot every deployment to see what they missed. The process is totally manual. The architecture team will change the API you are using and deploy it bringing down the server. The client blames you. The power goes out. The client blames you. The user's don't even look at the requirements when testing. They see something they want and they enter a bug. It doesn't matter that it wasn't in the requirements and is a enhancement. It is reported as a bug. They have said I quote "We expect zero bugs before we accept the software". Enhancements are counted as bugs so unless you can read minds you are doomed to failure.

If they have a database problem, you are blamed. Developers have to fix database issues because DBAs won't come in on the weekends. When the production database was rolled back to the integration database so they would be in sync. The process broke the applications since the DBAs don't write migration scripts to run with the changes implemented during development. It was a train wreck. The development team got blamed of course and also had to fix it. No testing was done just roll the production database into integration and sift through the wreckage.

Advice to Management

Support your people grow a spine. The description above has been going on for a year. How about making people on the fifth floor accountable for once.

3. "Very Unorganized"

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time

Pros

Money is good. Coworkers are great.

Cons

for the amount of crap you have to deal with not worth it.

Advice to Management

Be fair to employees

"Technical Writer"

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GD stock fund contribution was on point

Cons

Not willing to look after their people on contractor site.

Advice to Management

None

"not a great place to work for"

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy, decent pay, same thing everyday

Cons

unorganized, no raises, no challenges, and not fun

"People who work for this company need to stop lying with these reviews."

Pros

They pays 100% medical benefits.

Cons

This company itself is a joke and whoever is responsible for negotiating contracts need their head examined. They don't take their employees into consideration, they don't give raises and they aren't concerned about the overall moral of its employees. The have a CAP program that is suppose to help employees find positions in the company if their contract is expiring...wrong. Its only for managers and up which is borderline discrimination. So how are you claiming diversity when all of the people in the high positions are only one color?

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter what you suggest because its not going to make a difference.

7. "Caution"

Former Employee - Csr1 in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Just having a job, nothing else.

Cons

No good leadership, no job security, they will write you up for anything. No work life balance and you get raises.

8. "Never happier (to be gone)"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Iowa City, IA

Pros

Should be work as long as company has a contract. Decent pay

Cons

No apparent leadership. No investment in skills unless they need your skills in a technical role. Everyone is one quarterly report away from layoff. "What have you done for me lately" should be the company motto

Advice to Management

Set a vision, communicate it and follow through. The show up once to cheerlead then disappear only motivates the newbies who haven't seen it before.

9. "Not good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS

Pros

The pay is alright, and the people you work with are great meaning the other CSR

Cons

HR is really bad hard to get ahold of, shift bid never know what shift they are going to put you on, and have to stay on that shift for 6 months, say that shift selection goes by compliance that was a lie as well, they only go by procedure when it is beneficial to them,

Advice to Management

Needs to be quality over quantity when it comes to beneficiaries. Most don't have anyone else to help them

10. "Don't work here"

Current Employee - Csr1
    Current Employee - Csr1

Pros

There is nothing good here

Cons

Everything is more terrible here

Advice to Management

Try to care about people

Showing 174 of 1,474 reviews