General Dynamics Information Technology Senior Network Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

General Dynamics Information Technology Senior Network Engineer Reviews

Updated Dec 19, 2019

4.9
General Dynamics Information Technology President  Amy Gilliland (no image)
Amy Gilliland
1 Rating
  1. "Good pay, great benefits, great flexibility"

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very competitive compensation packages and lots of opportunity in many different fields of IT all over the country. Good medical, better than most contracting companies, 4% 401k match, yearly HSA contribution, stock options, tuition assistance, great internal career transfer program, about two weeks PTO per year (accrued throughout the year) plus paid holidays

Cons

As with most govt. contracting, contracts can come to an end with no notice. Luckily the internal mobility program is fantastic and there is a ton of room to move around within the company.

General Dynamics Information Technology2019-12-19
  2. "Good Company"

Current Contractor - Senior Network Engineer

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology

Pros

Benefits are good starting day 1

Cons

Nothing to complain about with them

General Dynamics Information Technology2019-09-26
  3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Miami, FL

Pros

Great company and a great benefits package.

Cons

Nothing bad to say here.

Advice to Management

Be more reasonable when it comes to forcing employees to have to take vacation for things they cant control like Hurricanes.

General Dynamics Information Technology2018-01-31

"Typical Big Business"

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Westwood, MA

Pros

It's a job that pays the bills. Everyday is a learning experience due to the work is a first of its kind.

Cons

The company doesn't truly care about its employees.

Advice to Management

Pretend like you care.

General Dynamics Information Technology2017-05-31
  5. "Good Employer"

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Fort Lewis, WA

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They gave me a significant pay raise over my previous job Almost (30%). I have also recieved merit raises every year from GDIT. Over 5 years those raises have averaged more than 7%.

Cons

401k match is low (50% match up to 3% of employee salary Only offer high deductible health insurance with HSA

General Dynamics Information Technology2017-01-15
  6. "Sr. Network Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Westwood, MA

Pros

After a year and a half I can't really think of any.

Cons

Management is HORRIBLE. The company does NOT care about their employees at all.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.

General Dynamics Information Technology2016-09-21
  7. "Great company to work for!"

Senior Network/Systems Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and compensation. If you make your mark you will be recognized.

Cons

Currently working on a contract that is rewarded every few years. Sometimes we are a little left in the dark about our futures.

Advice to Management

Ensure you also communicate with your overseas divisions.

General Dynamics Information Technology2016-03-21
  8. "The combination of great people and an organization that cares makes it ideal above most other federal contract agencies"

Current Contractor - Senior Network Engineer

Pros

General Dynamics Information Technology (GDIT) certainly makes a good name for itself among other federal contract agencies. I frequently hear other sub-contractors complaining about their contract agencies for general, everyday things (i.e. pay, transparency, lack of annual salary increases, no employee value). GDIT gives the impression that it genuinely cares about it's employees. [+] Pay is ever-so-slightly below industry average [+] Mature retirement (401K) plans with standard contribution matching [+] Flexible leave policy (flexible, not liberal) [+] General feeling of care from direct management [+] Aggressive retainment program (some might consider this bad) [+] Later movement flexibility Overall, I really enjoy working for GDIT.

Cons

GDIT is still a large company that succumbs to many of the 'industry standard' corporate shortcomings. [-] Rapid policy changes with little/no notice [-] Recently decreased contribution matching from 100% @ first 4% -> 50% of first 6% [-] Expensive medical programs (comparable to self-procurement) [-] Conservative leave program (nearly 10x lower, starting out, than industry norms)

Advice to Management

I have been hearing some discerning information from GDIT veterans (> 25 years) that GDIT is becoming more and more Business driven. Most believe you have traditionally been People driven, but many of the recent changes to core programs put strain that philosophy. I would suggest you revisit your 'people are our assets' saying.

General Dynamics Information Technology2016-02-12
  9. "I had a decent experience working for GDIT."

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Fort Gordon, GA

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great higher education benefits Many opportunities available internally

Cons

Lack of technical training availability No continuity across management Feels like your just a number to corporate. The experience working on contracts is different in all phases.

General Dynamics Information Technology2015-02-03

"Decent while the work is there..."

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time

Pros

Decent people for the most part. It's a big company, and not going anywhere. Lots of opportunities if you don't mind traveling.

Cons

Upper management has no loyalty to anything but the profit line. Do not believe anything you are promised about future work or guarantees--once the project ends they would rather lay you off. Saw two very high up bosses get canned unfairly, and saw many people promised positions when the execs promising the spots had no intention of following through. It's a tough business, for sure, so all I can say is watch out for number one and make sure you find another project to move to WELL BEFORE you need to.

General Dynamics Information Technology2014-10-27