General Dynamics Mission Systems Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 71 reviews

3.8
General Dynamics Mission Systems CEO Chris Brady
Chris Brady

"Only value bottom-line. Corporate America at its worst."

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diversified opportunities to work supporting federal government projects.

Cons

Can't determine how to expand their long-term vision beyond supporting current business. Management scared stiff, lack of people skills, lack of honesty and integrity within certain business units.

Advice to Management

Satisified employees will make it happen. So - satisfy your employees. Train your managers.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2014-05-09

"GDAIS Hampton, VA"

Current Employee - Network Manager in Hampton, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great schedule - Decent pay - Good benefits

Cons

- Little to no bonuses - No compensation for self-improvement

Advice to Management

Compensate individuals for obtaining educational milestones that benefit the company as a whole.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2014-04-03
  3. "Overall, C4S is a great place to work! The Soldier Network Video - a proud moment for GDC4S"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Taunton, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great leadership. Prasies to Chris Marzilli for moving women into leadership positions. Changes in management are creating a new environment as we change with our customer. Great addition with Phebe at the top!

Cons

It has been a tough few years with the budget cuts and having to nagivate the morale issues

Advice to Management

Have some fun while we are working hard at our job.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2014-04-09

"General Dynamics C4 Systems lacks strategic vision and manages via the "good old boy network"."

Current Employee - IT Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

GD pays well for the area, they support flexible work options including telecommuting, and their products help keep soldiers safe.

Cons

Opportunities for women and minorities are limited, the company is struggling to capitalize on its portfolio, and it has been laying off staff for 3 years with no end in sight.

Advice to Management

Employees need to know there is some plan for the future that involves more than just layoffs.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2014-03-08

General Dynamics Mission Systems Response

April 28, 2014HR Operations

Thank you for your review. We will be sure to send your advice to our senior staff and internal communications so that they may better communicate with employees about the company’s outlook. If you have any concerns regarding opportunities for minorities, please contact your human ...

"Wandering in the desert….will they find themselves before it is too late???"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good compensation and benefits, although the benefits have been reduced somewhat significantly in the past 3 years. Most employees are competent and dedicated.

Cons

The company has gone too far in workforce reduction, to the point that their ability to execute on existing contracts is jeopardized. A few absolutely critical people have been "released" by managers who were put into their positions recently and really didn't know their people or who the strongest performers were; hence they laid off resources critical to on-going work. The "survivors" are now truly over-worked. ... Acquisitions over the past several years have almost all turned out to have been major mistakes. But, there has been almost no accountability for these mistakes.

Advice to Management

Right-size the senior management. While the company has reduced its workforce dramatically over the past 3 years, the VPs have only played musical chairs; there has been no corresponding reduction in the number of VPs. Some VPs are now in charge of functional areas in which they have no experience or expertise.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2014-03-05

"Great place to work until the layoffs started. This facility was originally a Motorola defense plant that was bought."

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pay was very good. Probably due to my long tenure there, but from day 1 the company paid very well, first as Motorola then as GDC4S.

Cons

Management not very creative. Not very good at marketing and business development. Was overloaded with work most of the time. The culture was good until GD purchased the plant in 2001. Then things slowly changed and deteriorated..

Advice to Management

Do something to stop the lay offs.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2014-01-19

"Morale is low and they are laying off very valued key employees. There is no rationale to the firing line."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

I have worked there for many years with very talented and brilliant people including: engineers and technicians from all specialties. I started when it was still Motorola and the job opportunities were endless. General Dynamics changed everything and not for the better.

Cons

I have felt for the last three years that General Dynamics has been working to shutter the plant, and they have not been aggressively trying to go after after new business and contracts. They no longer care about the people. They have diminished pensions drastically. They do not care about their employees, all they care about is their bottom line. I have always said, never get between GD and a dollar, you will... never win. General Dynamics has been a profitable business and to see the lack of compassion is disgusting. Keep the people who work and lose the ones that sit in their offices all day doing nothing. It has become a paper mill and not a working environment.

Advice to Management

Read what I wrote above. Be honest with everyone at the plant about the long term goals of the Scottsdale plant. Put your self in our shoes.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2014-01-18

"Sr. Management non existent"

Former Employee - Technical Manager in Herndon, VA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working condictions on specific program were excellent, 9/80 schedule was fantastic

Cons

Management levels above PM were none existent, and unaware of actual program performance.

Advice to Management

Focus on customer satisfaction

General Dynamics Mission Systems2013-12-10

"Great company I worked for GD-AIS before"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company to work for - I worked their before

Cons

Nothing at this time - Thanks

Advice to Management

Please hire me

General Dynamics Mission Systems2013-11-05

"Great long career until the last few years..."

Former Employee - Business Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They pay very well and the employees are hard workers

Cons

They are in a death spiral. The current management has shown no backbone to make the tough decision to reduce the level of principals, directors and VPs while reducing the workforce. The result is that these senior managers just get re-assigned elsewhere to keep making the same dumb decisions

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about your bonuses and making short term decisions only. Remember that this is an organization made up of people and by treating the people fairly they will work hard for the company. Finally, if the best qualification for a job is that they are your friend, you need to reconsider that job assignment - cronyism only works in the short term.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2013-11-13