General Dynamics Mission Systems Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
General Dynamics Mission Systems President Chris Marzilli
Chris Marzilli

Pros
  • Offers great work life balance compared to other companies (in 51 reviews)

• Above-average pay, flexible work schedule, fairly quick advancement if you're worth anything (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was aware of bickering and did not keep score (major plus) (in 38 reviews)

• Poor project planning and with little to no structured effort between groups (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Overall, a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people working here are top notch and are vested in the work that we do for our country.

The company is working extremely hard to change its brand and identity within the organization. It has rolled out numerous "people excellence" programs to further promote a healthy workplace.

The benefits are solid and respectable. The work schedules are flexible.

Business outlook is looking up for the forseeable future.

Cons

Communication from management is not great (although this seems to be improving as of late).

Managers are reluctant to let employees rotate into other jobs within the company as they don't want to "lose" good people.

Advice to Management

Keep taking a vested interest in what your employees are telling you. Make the rounds to get to know your employees on a more personal level as it makes them feel valued and not forgotten.

Some sort of profit sharing or bonus structure would go a long way to make the employees feel like we are part of a team and working towards something together.

Managers need to allow their employees greater flexibility in trying new things and looking for new opportunities for growth within the company. If an employee wants to try something new, help them get there! If you don't, they are going to look outside the company to fulfill those desires.

2. "Good Working Environment"

Former Employee - Lead Technician in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Lead Technician in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very understanding and flexible place to work

Cons

Poor communication recently within management making future there uncertain

Advice to Management

Unable to advise

"Slow, boring, and stagnant"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

plenty of job security when the defense industry is doing well

Cons

tedious process, boring work, many lifers just trying to defend their cubicle

5. "Great company, but compared to other tech companies, it's below average."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of PTO
    - Flexible schedule
    - Lots of projects (aka work)

Cons

- Average medical/dental/vision insurance
    - Below average salaries
    - No moral (Not even a little)

Advice to Management

Offer more compelling salaries.

6. "Software engineer"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Software engineering teams are formed with very high quality engineers. They are easy to work with and always do their best to help others.

Cons

Contracting with gov. and military, somethings it is hard to predict their funding to the project.

"Great place to coast to retirement"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Mostly 40 hour weeks
    - Easy work
    - Great place to work if you want to coast to retirement. There are several decade old projects that stick with the same technology they started with, so you won't need to worry about keeping your skills up to date

Cons

- Mediocre to average pay except for those in high positions
    - No bonuses
    - Your skills will die here if you get stuck on one of their aforementioned decade old projects, so it's not a good idea to stick around for too long if you're not at the tail end of your career

"Hit or Miss"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked In the IT department for over 10 years and I would say the IT group is the best group to work for. They have the best work-life balance for their group. The managers in IT do really care. They allow you to work from home, 8/90’s and very willing you help you balance your life.

Cons

To many meetings, no room for growth, pay could be better, poor benefits for a company of this size( went to a smaller company with better pay and benefits . I saved over $300.00 a month for health insurance with a lower deductible) and it keeps getting worse. It’s hard to keep young people there with fresh ideas. This is very much a Good old boys company. The management at GDMS does not know how to manage people. All of my friends that have left and myself included, we have went on to better company's that have given us better tools to do our jobs, benefits, pay and much more. The one question we all ask, why did I want so long to leave.

Advice to Management

Clean house of management, than might include you as well.

"Logistics"

Former Employee - Logistics in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Logistics in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Almost all the people I worked with were determined to succeed and fit well into a team environment. Prima Donnas lived "upstairs". Flexible work schedules fit almost everyone's needs.

Cons

Minimal advancement opportunities. Constant shrinking of benefit package and constant zero raise years. Constant layoffs without any notice, rhyme, or reason and no rationale from upper management.

Advice to Management

Make believe you are a communications company, and communicate! Treat people equally.

10. "Extensive customer interface with emerging technology."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large amount of different divisions to work for. There is also more opportunities to telework. It is what you make of it.

Cons

There is a almost convoluted management structure. The review process is continually changing. Maybe not for the better. Sometimes you may have to move job ladders to get ahead.

"Inconsistent, with apparent efforts to improve"

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Good co-workers, some you even want to hang out with after work hours.

Areas of work are cutting edge with good prospects.

Acceptable benefits and pay

The appearance that 'Mission Systems' will be a viable company.

Cons

Some dolts who remain employed because the next layer or two of management either can't properly assess technical skills, are not competent themselves, or are just too busy with other priorities to care.

Some areas of work are languishing and are ignored by executive level leadership while they focus on their pet projects.

The HR goals are to remain in the 'median' of benefits and pay, so median to mediocre talent remains...

The "work place of the future" is really just a way to cut costs at the expense of respect for employees. High tech talent working like central Asian call centers.

Layoffs cut quality people and turned the culture toxic, such that younger folks have turned away.

Advice to Management

19 months and counting to 'combine' AIS and C4S tools, operations, and policies is rather pathetic. If engineering programs performed so poorly and slow, project leads would be replaced.