General Dynamics Mission Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris Marzilli

Pros
  • Offers great work life balance compared to other companies (in 50 reviews)

• Above-average pay, flexible work schedule, fairly quick advancement if you're worth anything (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was aware of bickering and did not keep score (major plus) (in 38 reviews)

• There is little to no regard for professional and technical excellence or development (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Overall, a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people working here are top notch and are vested in the work that we do for our country.

The company is working extremely hard to change its brand and identity within the organization. It has rolled out numerous "people excellence" programs to further promote a healthy workplace.

The benefits are solid and respectable. The work schedules are flexible.

Business outlook is looking up for the forseeable future.

Cons

Communication from management is not great (although this seems to be improving as of late).

Managers are reluctant to let employees rotate into other jobs within the company as they don't want to "lose" good people.

Advice to Management

Keep taking a vested interest in what your employees are telling you. Make the rounds to get to know your employees on a more personal level as it makes them feel valued and not forgotten.

Some sort of profit sharing or bonus structure would go a long way to make the employees feel like we are part of a team and working towards something together.

Managers need to allow their employees greater flexibility in trying new things and looking for new opportunities for growth within the company. If an employee wants to try something new, help them get there! If you don't, they are going to look outside the company to fulfill those desires.

"Badly needs culture change"

Current Employee - Engineer in Pittsfield, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pittsfield, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to next generation military products

Cons

The "not my job" person is in full force here.

Advice to Management

Don't just say we need a culture change. Actually do something about it.

"HR Director"

Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Fairfax, VA

Pros

A great place to work with an awesome culture that is very employee focused, unlike past companies where I've worked. Great benefits, 4.5% 401K match for example. flexible 9/80 work schedule. Wide variety of internal opportunities and development programs and resources.

Cons

GDMS is finalizing the merging of two legacy companies and, in 2-3 instances, have dual systems for work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on listening to employee surveys. Your doing a great job making changes that employees have asked for.

"Excellent DoD Contractor to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Vandenberg AFB, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Vandenberg AFB, CA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly and easy to work with co-workers
    Good Benefits
    Virtual Desktop Infrastructure allowed for BYOD
    Access to continued learning
    Excellent HR staff

Cons

Difficult to progress career wise at remote locations (little to no opportunities)

Advice to Management

Ensure that remote employees are rated equally among core work location employees for advancement and management opportunities.

"Was generally pretty pleased with GDMS."

Current Employee - Advanced Software Engineer III in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Advanced Software Engineer III in Washington, DC

Pros

Compensation, benefits are good. Flexibility in work attire and hours on the contracts I worked on. People were generally very approachable and friendly.

Cons

Management was poor on 2 of the 3 contracts I worked on.

Advice to Management

There's a lot of managers that have been with GDMS for a while, that seem impossible to be in management more due to their tenure with the company than their actual work knowledge and professional expertise. 2 of the 3 contracts that I worked with though their customer liked them when in reality that wasn't the case. Very poor flow of knowledge between the customer/business and technological side of things.

7. "It's a job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Pros

Stable business. Decent benefits. Good culture at this location. Some opportunities to advance. Lots of potential to learn new things.

Cons

Large corporation. Small close knit culture is slowly going away. Processes have created new challenges. Matrix can be confusing. What else?

"Contracts Manager"

Former Employee - Contracts Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Contracts Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company with incredibly competent leadership at the highest levels. The Contracts team based out of Scottsdale, AZ is also ran incredibly well. They had my back and valued my input. Overall the company is a good place to be, particularly if you support our military and want to work on programs that protect our country.

Cons

The satellite office I worked at was under constant transition. Though we had direction from "up-top", it seemed like office management did their best to turn non-issues into big customer problems because of lack of trust between departments. Upper management was aware of bickering and did not keep score (major plus).

9. "When Will Management Wake Up?"

Current Employee - Strategy Director in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Strategy Director in Fairfax, VA

Pros

There are really very few positive things to say. While some parts of the company are doing well, the CEWS business is a complete drain at this point. The latest loss of ROADRALLY can only be blamed on failed management and a non-compliant proposal. How much longer is this failed experiment of CEWS going to be allowed. People are leaving faster than the current round of layoffs.

Cons

Everything - literally everything. Morale is extremely low, benefits are being cut back, and no one is holding the management to account.

Advice to Management

Recognizing that CEWS is a disaster and eliminating those responsible would be a good first step.

"Systems Engineer"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Taunton, MA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Taunton, MA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Having every other Friday off 9/80 schedule
    Laid Back Environment
    Being able to work on army projects
    Travel across the US to various locations

Cons

Climbing the ladder takes too long
    Travel can sometimes be back to back trips
    recognition from work goes noticed
    pay is not competitive compared to other companies

Advice to Management

Pay a competitive salary
    Give employees recognition for hard work and room for advancement

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very solid technical skills. Overall led by technically trained staff versus marketing/finance

Cons

More visibility about strategic changes