General Dynamics Mission Systems Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

3.9
General Dynamics Mission Systems President  Chris Brady
Chris Brady
Pros
  • "Work with cutting edge technology, great benefits, flexible 9/80 schedule(in 82 reviews)

• "Very understanding of work/life balance(in 80 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management drama and backstabbing(in 42 reviews)

• "Senior management poor relationship with employees(in 31 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of General Dynamics Mission Systems and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

GDMS is a Top Notch Company to Work For!

Apr 24, 2021 - Security Analyst in Chantilly, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Potential for Advancement, Benefits, Pay, Great management

Cons

Limited number of job openings, Few Bonuses given.

1 person found this review helpful

Managing Director

WOW! We’re very fortunate to have a wonderful team. Thank you for being a part of our ongoing success and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We have an ongoing commitment to review every aspect of our company including our compensation structure and career progression. If you have specific ideas, please contact us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for

Feb 2, 2021 - Systems Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing work/life balance with flexible schedule

Cons

Program constraints can be hard to navigate

Managing Director

Wow! We are dedicated to making General Dynamics Mission Systems a great place to work and appreciate your recognition of our continued efforts. Thank you!

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not the best, but it's a decent place to work

Apr 20, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer I in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good health care benefits - Fairly generous PTO - Clear salary ranges - Quarterly check-ins to ensure you're on track to meet goals - Clear system for promotions and raises (ask your manager and/or check the hub)

Cons

- Time tracking to 6 minutes, everything needs a charge code. - Promotions are limited to one level per year. If you start at the bottom this doesn't work that well. - Must fill out goals and tasks throughout the year for a promotion or decent raise. Not everyone knows this. - People who were rated "strong" given low raises (below inflation).

Managing Director

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We’re very fortunate to have a wonderful team. Paying competitive salaries and bonuses – not to mention offering competitive benefits – is critical for any organization. Rest assured, we are listening and we annually review our compensation. We are committed to making sure our people are promoted and compensated for being the very best… because that’s what they are. If you have specific ideas, please contact us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com. We wish you the best of luck in future endeavors.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Nice but unexciting

May 3, 2021 - Software Engineer II in Scottsdale, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

I always felt like I was compensated fairly for my work and there were seldom demands for overtime. PTO and other benefits were good and in line with what I'd expect for the industry. Work also felt very reliable; seemed you could often just move between projects there as they reached their conclusion so job security was nice.

Cons

Development practices are (in some cases by necessity) pretty old fashioned. This extends to management and corporate policies too. Hourly time tracking was required which was tedious and annoying for a salaried position. There was no real flexibility from a 40 hour work week.

Managing Director

Thanks for your feedback. We’re always looking for ways to improve our career environment. The fact is, finding new ways to keep everyone engaged and motivated is just as important to us as it is to you. We have ongoing efforts to enhance our culture and your ideas are more than welcome. Reach out to us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Continuous Improvement

Apr 25, 2021 - Senior Systems Engineer/Project Manager in Fairfax, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Desire across the company to improve at all levels and angles

Cons

Sometimes takes a mountain's worth of effort to change or improve something when it should take a mustard seed worth of effort

Managing Director

Wow! Thank you for your review and your loyalty to General Dynamics Mission Systems. Working together, we can make a great company even better and appreciate the ideas you provided for our management team. We will share these internally and if you have any other thoughts please reach out to us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great culture and environment

Apr 19, 2021 - Software Engineer II in Pittsburgh, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most people are very friendly and easy to work with. There are great perks like 9/80 and flex schedules. It is pretty stable so losing jobs is not a fear. You will transferred to a new project if one looses funding.

Cons

Choice of project is limited due to staffing requirements. Software tools and packages are limited due to security requirements. It is also annoying to charge time.

Managing Director

Thank you for your review and your loyalty. We are dedicated to making General Dynamics Mission Systems a great place to work, which includes annually reviewing our technology platforms. Working together, we can make a great company even better.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Solid all around. Excellent for work-life balance

Apr 17, 2021 - Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Impeccable work-life balance. Work always felt reasonable and I liked my coworkers. Overall a pleasant place to work.

Cons

If you're not into the ethics of the defense industry then work might not feel good. Culture feels a little old-man white-bread. There isn't a lot of room for a high-performing worker to move up quickly in the company.

Managing Director

Thanks for your feedback. Our 9/80 schedule enables our teams to have a better work/life balance and we are glad you enjoyed it. We’re always looking for ways to improve our career environment, including our focus on professional development and career progression. Your ideas are more than welcome. Reach out to us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com

8. 5.0

Hidden Gem

May 3, 2021 - Strategy
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture, especially through Covid, has been incredibly respectful.

Cons

None that i can think of!

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Enjoyed working there.

Apr 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Worked with a group of great folks always ready to work to get the job done. Good benefits, and supportive and positive management team.

Cons

Matrix organization could be bureaucratic, and frustrating at times.

Managing Director

Thank you for the kind words. We value feedback to ensure we are continuing to grow and evolve. If you have any additional feedback regarding your experience, please email TalentSupply@gd-ms.com.

10. 3.0

GDMS Tech Manager

Apr 22, 2021 - Technical Manager in Pittsfield, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Innovative solutions for DOD customers. People genuinely believe in the mission and want to make the customer successful. Balanced between tenured, mid career and new hire workforce.

Cons

Insular culture that does not reach to the industry for best practices. Lack of visionary leadership at the senior leadership level. A lot of strong managers but not a lot of true leaders. Organization relies on a handful of technical leaders to establish process, execution and development. This strains those few critical employees and does not create a strong network around them to support them.

Managing Director

Thanks for your review and your thoughts. Developing mission-critical systems that help keep people safe is what we do and as you know, our team takes this seriously. But, we also know we have areas for improvement and we have committed to building the skills of each employee, including our leaders by offering a number of professional development programs. If you have specific ideas, please contact us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,235 Reviews