General Dynamics Mission Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
General Dynamics Mission Systems President Chris Marzilli
Chris Marzilli

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance here is great, the 9/80 schedule is definitely a plus (in 62 reviews)

• Good focus on work life balance (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was aware of bickering and did not keep score (major plus) (in 39 reviews)

• Poor project planning and with little to no structured effort between groups (in 17 reviews)

"Software engineering internship"

Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Bloomington, MN

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Very interesting work and a wide range of projects to work on. Actually work on important things, even as an intern. Paid well. Good focus on work life balance.

Cons

Honestly not to much to complain about as an intern

"Supply Chain Specialist"

Current Employee - Buyer in Taunton, MA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Taunton, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Work/Life Balance
    Friendly People
    Supportive
    Understanding
    Big Company with small company feel
    Treat employees right

Cons

Corporate takes a while to get things implemented
    Doesn't have as many perks as other more modern companies in Boston

Advice to Management

Provide more of a clear career path

"Would have liked to retire..."

Former Employee - Senior Technology Trainer Associate II in Fort Gordon, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Technology Trainer Associate II in Fort Gordon, GA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits package; mission oriented; opportunities to excel; educational benefits; Sr. Management is involved.

Cons

Para-military mindset; middle management can seem less than professional; opportunities for advancement are restricted; location matters.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Keep an eye open for hidden talent and skills at remote locations. It's too bad that Congress changed the qualifications on the contract.

"Flexible time and interest in change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Variety of projects
    Challenging work
    Great coworkers
    Senior leadership team
    Interest to adapting work environment for younger workforce

Cons

Can take a while to move projects through certain processes
    Departments could do better to communicate with each other
    There needs to be more transparency between all levels of tenure

Advice to Management

I see a big improvement with management. Please continue to be more transparent through various levels from executives to individuals contributors and seek to inspire employees rather than just manage them.

"Great for a first job straight out of college"

Current Employee - Entry Level Software Engineer in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Entry Level Software Engineer in Bloomington, MN

Pros

Interesting projects. You're very much in charge of your own success (which can also be considered a con). Good starting salary for fresh graduates. Good amount of sick time ("My Time"), holidays, and PTO.

Cons

Easy to feel disconnected from what you're working on since you're usually working for a customer on a contract. This location needs better on-site facilities, like showers, a workout room, and a cafeteria. Infrequent raises and no cost-of-living increases.

"Excellent workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dedham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dedham, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the administrative functions get a 9/80 schedule which is nice for work life balance. Have had an excellent experience with onboarding and really feel like there is a large population of very nice people who work for the company across many departments.

Cons

Dedham location is not near too many places so bringing a lunch is the best way to go. Office itself has a few nice break areas but otherwise it is not anything fancy like you might find downtown or in a smaller start up environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to proceed with organization efforts and remain consistent! This is a refreshing place compared to other companies I have worked for who do not spend as much time considering compensation and managerial decisions.

"Big company with Small Company Feel"

Current Employee - Employee in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Employee in Annapolis, MD

Pros

- Work/life balance is great!
    - Get to work with programs involved in really cool projects aimed at protecting our country
    - The people I work with are awesome!
    - Management is really making an effort to increase amount of activities scheduled to bring employees together across the programs. This is difficult to do with such a large company. Employees volunteer time to help with this.
    - Job security, we are always hiring!

- My manager is great, I work hard to make sure I never let them down.

Cons

- Sometimes I feel that your hard work goes unrecognized unless a manager decides to submit you for an award or recognition. You can work really hard just like other members on your team, but they may get recognized more because the manager they support is courteous enough to submit them for recognition. It just hurts motivation a little when this happens.
    - Need to be more competitive with local companies when it comes to sign-on bonuses, benefits, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep employees engaged and show them that their voice matters! Make sure managers are aware that they need to submit employees for recognition when they do a great job.

"Awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at GDMS for a very short time (<1yr), but really loved how employees got treated there. Management really tried hard to keep employees happy. GDMS is located in Scottsdale, which is in the nicer part of Phoenix. 9/80 work schedule which allows you to take every other Friday off. The "decompression room" has nice big screen TV, with X-box and Playstation along with pingpong table and foosball table. 401k matching up to 4.5%. Nice small perks like paying $150 toward your gym membership and free Valley Metro card allowing you to take buses and light rails at no cost.

Cons

The company can't seem to win any work contracts. Maybe marketing department needs to step up their level. Due to this, your job might not be very stable. Engineering tools (SW/HW) and workstations are a bit dated, not keeping up with the outside world.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and keep on improving.

"Great company to start your career with."

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

Compensation, benefits, work-life relationship is a plus.

Cons

Needed more direction from management.

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My direct management is awesome! Open communication among my direct management and peers. I have opportunities to voice my opinions and concerns. There is respect and trust.

Cons

Upper management, at times, can be or give the appearance of draconian dictation. This is getting better and the reigns are starting to be relaxed, but decision making at the lower level is still heavily scrutinized.

Advice to Management

Relax the reigns a little and trust that your employees will make the right decision. If you aren't making mistakes, you aren't trying.