General Dynamics Mission Systems Advanced Engineer II - Software Reviews | Glassdoor

General Dynamics Mission Systems Advanced Engineer II - Software Reviews

1 review

Advanced Engineer II - Software

2.0
General Dynamics Mission Systems President Chris Marzilli
Chris Marzilli

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance here is great, the 9/80 schedule is definitely a plus (in 63 reviews)

• Good focus on work life balance (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees I know have little to no motivation to work (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management was aware of bickering and did not keep score (major plus) (in 39 reviews)

"Started out okay, but continues to get worse every year"

Current Employee - Advanced Engineer II - Software in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Advanced Engineer II - Software in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. 9/80 with a two week time card system.
    Good opportunities to work with fairly new technology (something that is difficult to come by in defense contracting world).
    Excellent on site gym with everything you would want at a gym. They have yoga and other fitness classes.
    The office is right next to San Tomas Aquino Creek Trail so you can run/walk/bike on the trail before, during, or after work.
    Excellent amenities for bicycle commuters. There are bike lanes leading to every entrance. They have bike lockers, showers.
    They had a great cafeteria, but chose to go with different vendor. The new vendor was good for a while then bad (like one day it was closed without warning). Seems to be okay now.
    I have been fortunate enough to get decent raises and a promotion so I would say they have good compensation. I know others that haven't received quite as good raises.

Cons

Every year they cut benefits and raises. It is like they don't want their employees to stay.
    The focus has been on cost cutting everything for the past several years. At one point they decided they were going to remove computers from conference rooms to save money on maintenance. Thankfully someone talked some sense into them. Fortunately the extreme cost cutting has gotten better under the new president.
    I have been unfortunate enough to work on the big bad program here. There is no work life balance.
    I've also unfortunately been stuck on the bad IPT of the big bad program. The IPT leads demand overtime, call you at home if you happen to not be in on an evening or weekend (even if you've finished your tasks). The one pushes back a lot if you take any time off, even one day, even if you've asked of it off days ahead of time (which is just unacceptable when you have to work almost constantly).

Advice to Management

Treat employees like assets that make money for the company instead of treating them like burdens that cost money.