General Dynamics Mission Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Chris Brady
  1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Project Management

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Growth, work balance, life balance, people

Cons

Location, not many cons to report

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-07-29
  2. "Normal corporate work schedule"

Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Great benefits, lots of time off, flexible working schedule.

Cons

You’re just a number.... each day feels the exact same. Nothing exciting is going to happen. Very repetitive and standers corporate job

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-09-02
  3. "Billing Spec"

Former Employee - Billing Specialist

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

Experience has been a benefit.

Cons

Pay has been a negative

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-08-07

"Great tech, better culture"

Current Employee - Director

Pros

Work on truly cutting edge technology in defense of the nation, good ideas rise to the top, comparatively low internal corporate bureaucracy.

Cons

Still more bureaucratic than purely commercial endeavors, workforce diversity (age, gender, and race) is improving but needs to be better.

Advice to Management

Nothing new... hire young, hungry engineers, deliberately find/create unclassified programs for them to work while waiting for security clearance approval.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-06-05
  5. "Base engineer"

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

Flexible hours and very competitive benefits.

Cons

Regulations regarding some of the projects.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-05-25
  6. "Se. Program Manager"

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

Good environment, encourages innovation and listens to other opinions.

Cons

Salary on low side and some managers lacking understanding of U.S. military, not having served themselves.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-05-14
  7. "Depends Entirely on the Federal Program on Which You Are Working"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good big company benefits, PTO accrual is standard for the industry, reasonably flexible working hours accommodating to individual circumstances. Technically, the work is entirely dependent on the program/project you're working on. Could be cutting edge, could be maintaining legacy code.

Cons

This is a big defense contractor and the wheels turn slowly. Although GDMS often touts Agile there is still quite a bit of top-down, waterfall methodology around. Sometimes the culture is very risk averse and stodgy. Although I would not dissuade a recent college grad from working here, keep in mind the development environment is very process oriented, lots of overhead. (These are complex systems for the military... and intelligence communities, after all.)

Advice to Management

Loosen up with the R&D, shake up middle managers with some Agile training, let the engineers talk to the customers (Agile!) and buy some more modern office furniture.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-04-11

"Forever grateful for my time at GDMS Viz"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I really can't imagine a better place to start out my career and was with the Viz office for almost 11 years. I was surrounded by incredibly talented and friendly people who were more than happy to share their knowledge with me. On top of that I was faced with complex problems that challenged me, got to work with some of the latest web technologies and distributed systems before they were common place, and was... provided with leadership and recruiting opportunities. Additionally, with there being many projects in the office I had the chance to move around, try new things, and gain new experiences. Office management does a great job of looking out for you as well and truly cared about my well being. They only ask that you work hard and are open and honest with them in return. The work life balance and office culture are great as well. It is probably worth noting that the only reason I left the company is to pursue a once in a lifetime opportunity that I simply couldn't pass up and would absolutely consider coming back if things don't work out.

Cons

GDMS is a defense contractor, and with that comes some annoyances that are just part of government contracts. That said office management does an excellent job of shielding their employees from as much of that as they can. Also, over the years salary compensation has fallen a little behind other top notch jobs in Pittsburgh, but I know office management is working hard to change that and I suspect they will be back... ahead of the curve in the not too distant future. Even still, compensation is fairly competitive, if not ahead of most software development companies in the area.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-04-07
  9. "First year"

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

Lot of experience. Great first job and hands on.

Cons

Not a fast paced environment.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-03-11
  10. "Good benefits, good pay"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-I in Bloomington, MN

Pros

Great health and dental insurance. Decent PTO. Above average pay.

Cons

There is a lot of bureaucracy. It can help but often harms productivity.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-02-28