General Dynamics Mission Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

General Dynamics Mission Systems Reviews

Updated May 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Offers great work life balance compared to other companies (in 51 reviews)

• Above-average pay, flexible work schedule, fairly quick advancement if you're worth anything (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was aware of bickering and did not keep score (major plus) (in 38 reviews)

• Poor project planning and with little to no structured effort between groups (in 17 reviews)

"This is a great first job."

Former Employee - Advanced Engineer II in Kings Bay, GA
    Former Employee - Advanced Engineer II in Kings Bay, GA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They will hire you are a pretty competitive salary at first. The benefits are above average. You work a 9/80 schedule. As an IT guy, they pay for certifications. I got most of my certification while an engineer at GD. You can use this place as a springboard to get better stuff on your resume and most employers don't know that GD is basically a Beltway bandit company so you can get tons of IT carts, build your resume, and leave after having them pay for it. If you are not a hard charger, then this is the job for you, if you value stability over growth, then you found your home,

Cons

This is where engineers go to die. You will work on technology that is 5-10 years out of date. Hiring managers thought I was kidding when I told them that my servers were Windows 2003 in calendar year 2012. There is really no growth without going to Pittsfield if you are a field engineer. Pittsfield has to be in the top 5 crappiest places I have ever been to live. After working there 5 years, I was only making ten grand more than when I started, and I exceeded my targets each year. You are absolutely a number here, and you feel like it, I had managers who literally didn't know who I was. This place is actually like Better Off Ted if you have ever seen the show, it's actually kind of comical.

Advice to Management

You complain about how all the talent leaves, but do nothing about it while your company earns massive profits that are publicly disclosed during quarterly meetings. If you took care of people, then you wouldn't have to rely on the same 3 talented people for all you top level engineering work. Some of you directors are technologically talentless, so you should want to retain engineering talent if only for your own rational self interest. Make some actual engineers leaders. All the senior staff were old people with 1970s engineering acumen when I was there. How do you lead a company into the cloud era with people who cannot use a computer?

"Excellent DoD Contractor to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Vandenberg AFB, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Vandenberg AFB, CA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly and easy to work with co-workers
    Good Benefits
    Virtual Desktop Infrastructure allowed for BYOD
    Access to continued learning
    Excellent HR staff

Cons

Difficult to progress career wise at remote locations (little to no opportunities)

Advice to Management

Ensure that remote employees are rated equally among core work location employees for advancement and management opportunities.

"Was generally pretty pleased with GDMS."

Current Employee - Advanced Software Engineer III in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Advanced Software Engineer III in Washington, DC

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation, benefits are good. Flexibility in work attire and hours on the contracts I worked on. People were generally very approachable and friendly.

Cons

Management was poor on 2 of the 3 contracts I worked on.

Advice to Management

There's a lot of managers that have been with GDMS for a while, that seem impossible to be in management more due to their tenure with the company than their actual work knowledge and professional expertise. 2 of the 3 contracts that I worked with though their customer liked them when in reality that wasn't the case. Very poor flow of knowledge between the customer/business and technological side of things.

5. "It's a job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Pros

Stable business. Decent benefits. Good culture at this location. Some opportunities to advance. Lots of potential to learn new things.

Cons

Large corporation. Small close knit culture is slowly going away. Processes have created new challenges. Matrix can be confusing. What else?

"Contracts Manager"

Former Employee - Contracts Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Contracts Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company with incredibly competent leadership at the highest levels. The Contracts team based out of Scottsdale, AZ is also ran incredibly well. They had my back and valued my input. Overall the company is a good place to be, particularly if you support our military and want to work on programs that protect our country.

Cons

The satellite office I worked at was under constant transition. Though we had direction from "up-top", it seemed like office management did their best to turn non-issues into big customer problems because of lack of trust between departments. Upper management was aware of bickering and did not keep score (major plus).

"Systems Engineer"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Taunton, MA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Taunton, MA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Having every other Friday off 9/80 schedule
    Laid Back Environment
    Being able to work on army projects
    Travel across the US to various locations

Cons

Climbing the ladder takes too long
    Travel can sometimes be back to back trips
    recognition from work goes noticed
    pay is not competitive compared to other companies

Advice to Management

Pay a competitive salary
    Give employees recognition for hard work and room for advancement

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very solid technical skills. Overall led by technically trained staff versus marketing/finance

Cons

More visibility about strategic changes

"Slow, boring, and stagnant"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

plenty of job security when the defense industry is doing well

Cons

tedious process, boring work, many lifers just trying to defend their cubicle

"Changes are being made, but..."

Current Employee - Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good as compared to the employment in the area.
    Develop products that directly impact our military.

Cons

Very poor engineering management! Will take advantage of engineers treating them like indentured servants. The cost of good pay is tolerating the unprofessional and retaliatory nature of management.

Advice to Management

GDMS has a bright future but needs to purge the middle management who continues to abuse engineers.

"Many better options in area"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

Pros

Decent software team working with cutting edge technologies

Cons

Management sucks. There are no fun perks of working here. Employees are frustrated and under payed for the type of work in the area. Management is horrible with providing training and does not want to invest in its employees.

Advice to Management

Adapt to the area. Treat employees with respect