General Dynamics Mission Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

General Dynamics Mission Systems Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Offers great work life balance compared to other companies (in 50 reviews)

• Above-average pay, flexible work schedule, fairly quick advancement if you're worth anything (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was aware of bickering and did not keep score (major plus) (in 38 reviews)

• There is little to no regard for professional and technical excellence or development (in 17 reviews)

"Contracts OCI and Compliance/Assurance Coordinator"

Former Employee - Contracts/Compliance OCI Coordinator in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Contracts/Compliance OCI Coordinator in Warren, MI

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging and rewarding experience. Ability grow and expand professional abilities. Great chances to meet and learn from fellow coworkers from across the country.

Cons

Minimal on site supervision and guidance.

"Good Only As a First Job"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

better-than-average perks of a big company (benefits). flexible daily schedule so long as you are reachable and do your work. fair amount of PTO. Coworkers are smart. Plenty of opportunities to learn. not bad benefits for people that stick here for a while (work from home capability). They match 1:1 for 3% and 50% for the next 3% for 401k.

Cons

not as good as other tech companies. it's a federal contractor so everything is tightly wound by the budget. It's slow and there is minimal room for advancement in the company depending on what you work on. The people that work here could get much better-paying jobs but don't because of the W/L balance and the relative proximity of the site to home for many of these people.

Advice to Management

I don't know how you allocate your resources, but it's certainly not easy and it's a wonder how things are even working. Currently, it feels that the actual work was poorly managed due to complexity/nature of the actual work required to maintain and develop / the inability to attract and maintain talent capable of maintaining work.

"Hit or Miss"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked In the IT department for over 10 years and I would say the IT group is the best group to work for. They have the best work-life balance for their group. The managers in IT do really care. They allow you to work from home, 8/90’s and very willing you help you balance your life.

Cons

To many meetings, no room for growth, pay could be better, poor benefits for a company of this size( went to a smaller company with better pay and benefits . I saved over $300.00 a month for health insurance with a lower deductible) and it keeps getting worse. It’s hard to keep young people there with fresh ideas. This is very much a Good old boys company. The management at GDMS does not know how to manage people. All of my friends that have left and myself included, we have went on to better company's that have given us better tools to do our jobs, benefits, pay and much more. The one question we all ask, why did I want so long to leave.

Advice to Management

Clean house of management, than might include you as well.

"Advanced Systems Engineer III"

Current Employee - Advanced Systems Engineer III in Pittsfield, MA
    Current Employee - Advanced Systems Engineer III in Pittsfield, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing comes to mind other than its slightly better than Wal-Mart or Home Depot...

Cons

Too many to list...major ones that come to mind are:
    1. Lack of real honest communications from management.
    2. Lack of REAL competent True leaders.
    3. Poor recognition of long termed experienced employees
    4. Promotions are via the "Fair Haired Buddy System" and not based upon experience or technical competency.

Advice to Management

Get some Leaders and Management from outside the company that are trained and competent Leaders and Managers of professionals and Technical people.

"Culture and Company are turning around"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

There is a major effort to grow the business and improve the culture.
    The company is bringing in new blood and encouraging new ideas.

Cons

There is a big portion of the workforce that is old and set in their ways that are giving the company a bad reputation.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage the cultural shift. Encourage and guide employees to make decisions and take action. Find more space to execute the new work!

"The location is the worst part."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsfield, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsfield, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are two ping pong tables and a foosball table. Zero micromanagement within my group. Plenty of PTO to start with floating holidays and core holidays. Plus the 9/80 schedule added in with the flex hours is really nice.

Cons

Process process process. We're talking about HEAVY duty process. If you want to change a single line of code then you will need about 1 week before you do so plus hours of paperwork. The town here is dead.

Advice to Management

Nothing you they can do about it.

8. "Improving Internship Program"

Former Employee - Intern in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Fairfax, VA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, interesting project, lots of freedom, 9/80

Cons

Waiting for clearances, little interaction with interns from other departments

Advice to Management

Keep working to improve the internship program, it sounds like it's a lot better than last year but still has room to grow!

"Logistics"

Former Employee - Logistics in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Logistics in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Almost all the people I worked with were determined to succeed and fit well into a team environment. Prima Donnas lived "upstairs". Flexible work schedules fit almost everyone's needs.

Cons

Minimal advancement opportunities. Constant shrinking of benefit package and constant zero raise years. Constant layoffs without any notice, rhyme, or reason and no rationale from upper management.

Advice to Management

Make believe you are a communications company, and communicate! Treat people equally.

10. "Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsfield, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsfield, MA

Pros

Good people, good location. Features many of the amenities that you would expect from a defense contractor of this size.

Cons

Long hours with the occasional mandatory over time. It is also a historic town with mainly older people in it.

Advice to Management

I would not change anything about the job or the interviewing process. I was pleasantly surprised with everything I went through

11. "Information Security"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and they are very encouraging when it comes to expanding your knowledge.

Cons

There is no room for growth or promotion in certain positions