General Employment Enterprises Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew Norstrud

1. "My Second Time Around"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Columbus, OH

I have been working at General Employment Enterprises full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The training that is provided here is excellent and is the best basic and ongoing training that I have seen in over 25 years as a Recruiter.. The earnings potential is unlimited and the benefits are very good. . The atmosphere in the office is very positive and everyone on the team contributes to the Office's success.. This is my second time around with the Company and I am glad I came back.

Cons

This is a job that rewards you if you follow the basics and can handle rejection..

"I should've followed my instincts when reading the other bad reviews!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Columbus, OH

I worked at General Employment Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I do not feel this company has any pros to offer.

Cons

This company (Columbus, OH office), is a pure example of a Management/Employee situation, & management controlling every situation because of a TITLE! You are told up front that this is a "team", & it is anything but that! You are told when to send to emails, how to word things on the phone during "Power Hour" (which management doesn't even partake in), & you are expected to act as a robot & a liar to clients that come through the door. I was also not compensated with my commissions earned, even after payment had already been received by the company for my placement. The training was an absolute joke!

Advice to Management

ACT as a team player, don't just manage!

"Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Personnel Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Personnel Consultant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at General Employment Enterprises (More than a year)

Pros

General Employment provides ongoing training and support. You are given a framework for success and the freedom to develop your own personal style. Commissions are uncapped, and while they start low they rise quickly the more you produce. There is no cost for access to databases, clients, or candidates, and no overhead costs. All you have to do is work hard and good things will happen.

Cons

This is a sales job and requires hard work. You have to be able to deal with setbacks. You will be expected to function as part of a team. And you will be expected to produce. But this is a sales job and that's what we're there for.

"Horrible Company, with NO values!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Columbus, OH

I worked at General Employment Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is potential to make good money.

Cons

A tumultuous work environment, where you are constantly told to "run this like it's your own business", but you are NOT allowed to do anything without permission, or having someone look over your shoulder. A revolving door of recruiters, and clients that do not want to come back. You receive a week of vacation after one year of employment.

Advice to Management

Follow your own employment agreement and pay out commissions that are rightfully earned to your recruiters!

"Recruiter"

I worked at General Employment Enterprises full-time

Pros

Enjoyable work environment, other than that there was not much else

Cons

Lack of stability, little to no training provided, constant upper management shifting, each branch is like a revolving door.

"Don't do it"

Former Employee - Personal Consultant/Job Recruiter in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Personal Consultant/Job Recruiter in Columbus, OH

I worked at General Employment Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Potential opportunity to make money

Cons

Terrible work environment. Afraid to even talk to other employees without being reprimanded. Unachievable expectations and many clients they have worked with in the past refuse to do business with them again.

Advice to Management

Change your ways.

"Columbus Location is Disapointing"

Pros

They do get you interviews for jobs with great titles. If I was actually able to interview for the position, from what I know about it, I would have been happy to get it.

Cons

I was not allowed to know any details about a position that they wanted me to interview for. After about 12 emails, I was finally able to get a 2 sentence description about the position. 13 minutes after receiving that in an email, I received a very unprofessional phone call from them. I was yelled at and insulted all because I wanted the information about the position before I scheduled the interview. When I told them that, they called my emergency contact for absolutely no reason. They had the information about the position, but they said that they weren't going to give me even a basic description of the position until 1 hour before the interview. I have never seen any company like General Employment do that, and I was not happy with how they handled the situation, so I will no longer do business with them.

Advice to Management

Allow the people who you are trying to find jobs for to know the details of the position when you get the details and not 1 hour before an interview. Not one person in the office at General Employment's Columbus office knows the ins and outs of computer networking. There is no reason for keeping this very basic information secret. Also, make sure that your employees can not abuse the emergency contact information to try to force someone to schedule an interview. They have also been very slow in finding positions for me (it took about 2 months just to hear anything). If they are understaffed, which they were, this needs fixed immediately if you want to keep people's business.

General Employment Enterprises Response

Oct 2, 2014 – Marketing Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're disappointed we did not provide a better experience when you worked with our recruiters to find a new job. Your feedback gives us the ... More

9. "Happy Days of General Employment"

Former Employee - Personnel Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Personnel Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at General Employment Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. The hours are pretty standard with very few evenings and weekends. Great sales incentives and challenges.

Cons

The position is straight commission. The employer is not very understanding if you need to take time off and is not flexible with hours. You will be terminated from the position if you do not produce results.

Advice to Management

Be understanding of your employees' lives outside of the office.

10. "General Employment has given me every opportunity and all the tools that I need to be successful."

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Woburn, MA

Pros

Unbeatable compensation potential. BEST commission structure in the industry. Unmatched training from people that are currently doing the job. If you are a hard worked and have an internal drive to succeed this is the place for you to realize your true potential.

Cons

The only downsides are your own personal limitations. This job is as close to pure capitalism as you can get. If you work hard and put in the effort you will realize the rewards. If you are looking for someone to meet you half way this will not be the place for you. There is no glory for those who what to do 99% of the job.

Advice to Management

General Employment has a history of grooming some of the best leaders in the industry. Keep looking for the new blood that will be the 40 year success stories 40+ years from now.

11. "General Employment works for me"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

General Employment has given me the opportunity to fulfill all of my career aspirations. If you desire a job that allows you to perform sales, marketing and communication in 1 move, this is the place for you. Management support is very good and they allow unique ideas to be assessed. The ability to think "outside the box" has allowed me to professionally flourish. I highly advise a recruiter to look into job with this great company. I know I'll be here forever due to the salary, work schedule and support of upper management in theses times. Great job; great company.

Cons

Located in Scottsdale, its a hike for me. But thats my fault.

Advice to Management

Continue the good work