General Information Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Raymond Conrad

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are good people here that are helpful (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible when you need time off or if you need to leave early, easy work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover and limited room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• Lack of days off, not much room for growth or pay raise (in 4 reviews)

"Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Client Relations in Chapin, SC
    Current Employee - Client Relations in Chapin, SC

I have been working at General Information Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always something to learn, never boring!

Cons

Could use better benefits but all people feel that way about the companies they work.

Advice to Management

I read so many negative things about GIS that could put a bad taste in mouths of people who are not familiar with the Company. I have to say I have been with GIS for 17+ years (starting in operations and slowly working my way up to other positions) I have had managers, supervisor and team leads. They have pushed me outside my comfort zone and forced me to grow (sometimes when I felt reluctant to do so). These people have also never asked me to do ANYTHING they wouldn't do themselves. I am grateful everyday that I choose to Work For a Company that not only gave me a job but has provided me a career. I have daily support (if needed) and words of encouragement (when needed). I did not get where I am overnight and it wasn't easy. Like anything in life you have to work hard for the opportunities that are provided to you (they are not just handed out). If you want a job just to collect a pay check and expect things to be handed to you, then this is not the job for you. I feel many of the negative comments come from people who want to do very little and expect something big to happen for them. I work with all departments in GIS and lots of executive management amd everyone is truly amazing. Sure not everything is roses; however, that is true for all companies. I truly love my work family and am thankful for them every single day!!!

"I.T."

I worked at General Information Services full-time

Pros

Laid back environment. Friendly people.

Cons

Low pay , bad management.

"Wishy washy workload"

I worked at General Information Services full-time

Pros

opportunities to learn, learn, learn. great company.

Cons

today a day's worth of work, tomorrow; you're being sent home at 11am. It's unsteady and unpredictable.

"Verification Associate"

Current Employee - Verification Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Verification Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at General Information Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The schedules are very flexible, easy work, management and supervisors are nice and fair. We actually get recognized for our work now than we did before, whether it's with gift cards or certificates. This helps with morale and makes us feel more appreciated. The supervisors even spend money out of their own pockets to show us appreciation.

Cons

Pay, benefits, and the negativity of some of my co-workers. Management needs to crack down on the trouble makers who spread rumors and who aren't producing. There's several people in our postal dept who spend more time complaining instead of working. Since some people were friends (and still are) with the previous manager and director, they weren't held accountable. Now they have to actually work and they don't like it so they are spreading rumors about new management.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the folks who aren't doing what they're supposed to. There's alot of people on my team who don't deserve the postal pay. It's obvious that the people who are buddies with previous management are the same people who are spreading rumors. They need to be let go.

"Ok job while planning for something bigger"

Current Employee - Kwikscreen Associate in Chapin, SC
    Current Employee - Kwikscreen Associate in Chapin, SC

Pros

flexible schedule, casual dress code, laidback work environment, good location as far as traffic to deal with on your commute, nice supervisors, rarely have to work overtime or on weekends

Cons

Management is totally disconnected and ignores their own workforce, won’t even acknowledge you when walk right past them on a daily basis . You don’t get properly trained and will only be taught more if you are a favored employee. If you’re not a favored employee and ask to learn more you will be told not to worry about the subject you are inquiring over (daytime supervisor is overloaded with work and is unable to help you in this area, so it’s tasked out to lead users. Only one of the lead users doesn’t play favoritism, and is also overloaded with work leaving minimal time to teach). My department has an employee who is designated as a trainer but has only been assigned to train two employees over a six month period, and hasn’t been tasked with training employees on more info or refresher courses. Pay is way too low for being one of the top background companies in the nation. Too loud, which is due to being on the same floor as a call center and because of the employees from Newberry being allowed to run rampant in the office with Newberry drama acting like petulant children gossiping instead of working.

Advice to Management

None really as they’re not concerned with bettering the company or the well being of their employees

6. "Not too bad, if you are in the right department"

I have been working at General Information Services full-time

Pros

Good benefits and steady work.

Cons

Some of the departments are no better than a high school cafeteria.

Advice to Management

Develop company wide training standards as opposed to each department developing and training on their own. This creates confusion between departments.

"Verification Associate"

Current Employee - Verification Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Verification Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at General Information Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wellness room for excercising and we recently got raises for working the US postal account.

Cons

If you are black it’s an unequal playing field. Point blank.

Advice to Management

Slavery is over, we have civil rights and giving us 2 black managers doesn’t make you a diverse company you treat them like trash allowing white supervisors to make racist comments and allegations and openly talk about them in a racist manner on the floor

"Going downhill fast"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Chapin, SC
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Chapin, SC

Pros

The only positives about working here are the fact that it is a desk job and that you can listen to music throughout your shift (as long as it’s not on your phone and your device does not have a camera)

Cons

Ever since the multimillion dollar lawsuit against this company it has rapidly gone down hill. You can expect a 30 cent raise every 2 ish years. No bonus’s. Management sucks. HR is appalling (had people in one department threatening to fight yelling and cursing across the floor and no one got in trouble) ratchet employees will harass you. Management will make up ways to get you in trouble. They tell you you may have to work an occasional Saturday and then they will call “mandatory” Saturdays multiple times a month throughout the year. If you call out on a mandatory Saturday they try to write you up for it and try to fire you. Most associates make around 10 dollars an hour. Don’t expect a raise anytime soon!

Advice to Management

End the pettiness

"Good stepping stone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Management particularly HR are listening to the employees and we are seeing change. The new management is nice and fair and HR is going above and beyond to show us we are important

Cons

Rumors. The employees like to spread rumors about the status of the company. If one person doesn't like a manager or the rules being enforced they start to spread rumors. HR is good at shutting down rumors but as a result people complain but HR is only doing their job. People won't give the new management a chance they want to go back to the old ways of doing things which were unorganized and unfair.

Advice to Management

Pay the good people more so they stay.

"Analyst"

I worked at General Information Services full-time

Pros

Co-Workers are great
    Changes are in process

Cons

Inconsistency with management
    Not competitive with pay
    Agree with another reviewer - the rumors cause a negative workplace