General Information Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Guy Abramo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I like my team leads and supervisors most days" (in 5 reviews)

• "Not to many anymore since new management took over" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "After we got a new manager, everything went downhill" (in 7 reviews)

• "High turnover and limited room for advancement" (in 4 reviews)

"Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Client Relations in Chapin, SC
    Current Employee - Client Relations in Chapin, SC

I have been working at General Information Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always something to learn, never boring!

Cons

Could use better benefits but all people feel that way about the companies they work.

Advice to Management

I read so many negative things about GIS that could put a bad taste in mouths of people who are not familiar with the Company. I have to say I have been with GIS for 17+ years (starting in operations and slowly working my way up to other positions) I have had managers, supervisor and team leads. They have pushed me outside my comfort zone and forced me to grow (sometimes when I felt reluctant to do so). These people have also never asked me to do ANYTHING they wouldn't do themselves. I am grateful everyday that I choose to Work For a Company that not only gave me a job but has provided me a career. I have daily support (if needed) and words of encouragement (when needed). I did not get where I am overnight and it wasn't easy. Like anything in life you have to work hard for the opportunities that are provided to you (they are not just handed out). If you want a job just to collect a pay check and expect things to be handed to you, then this is not the job for you. I feel many of the negative comments come from people who want to do very little and expect something big to happen for them. I work with all departments in GIS and lots of executive management amd everyone is truly amazing. Sure not everything is roses; however, that is true for all companies. I truly love my work family and am thankful for them every single day!!!

2. "Positive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapin, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapin, SC

I have been working at General Information Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management cares about me as a person and I have been given multiple opportunities to learn so much!

Cons

We need better communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Make sure to get around and meet as many people as possible. We want to work for people that we know rather than aloof figures aren’t around. Thank you for all of the positive motivation that you have been sharing with us.

Aug 6, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you feel you are developing and learning a lot through your work at GIS, and that you feel supported and appreciated by your leadership. I... More

3. "Pretty good job/ company"

Current Employee - Training Associate in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Training Associate in Columbia, SC

Pros

Small company, reasonably easy job. Nice coworkers, but you can ignore them easily and do your job if you’d prefer. Can move up quickly if you apply yourself.

Cons

The current merger is a cause for some apprehension.

Advice to Management

Employees would probably appreciate more recognition.

Aug 6, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review – I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your work and the office environment, and that you have found opportunities for development and career advancement. I encourage you... More

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Verification Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Verification Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at General Information Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible and some of the employees are nice

Cons

Everything, management and pay

Aug 6, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your feedback – I hope you were able to share specific feedback with your leader before you left. I am glad you enjoyed working with your fellow team members while you were with us. I... More

5. "Verifications Associate"

I worked at General Information Services full-time

Pros

working with many people with different backgrounds. Learning from co-workers. Guaranteed 40 hours and overtime.

Cons

It was hard to move up in the company and receive raises.

Aug 6, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed working with team members from diverse backgrounds and that you feel you learned a lot during your time with GIS. We are working to... More

6. "Data Entry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapin, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapin, SC

I worked at General Information Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very easy job, flexible

Cons

Very repetitive, working until midnight was difficult

"It was great until we got new management"

Current Employee - Verification Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at General Information Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It used to be the flexible hours but now the new manager took that too. I guess the dress code is a pro.

Cons

After we got a new manager, everything went downhill. We get treated like babies, yet our work is what keeps the company moving .

Advice to Management

Stop changing things that don’t need to be broken! And stop making false promises! Bring air meetings back and try to have a connection with people other than your own race because that’s literally the only people you talk to when you come to the floor. You promised us so many things before moving from SC, and since you got here all I see is you replacing things that work perfectly fine.

"Verifications Associate ll"

Current Employee - Verification Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at General Information Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I see that they are trying to make a change, but they are honestly focusing on the wrong things. It’s still slightly better than it was, it’s less dreadful to come in now.

Cons

Micro management. Favoritism. Abrasive. Discrimination.

Advice to Management

Appreciate QUALITY and not just quantity. You applaud people for calling 100 people!!! Yeah, half of those were personal calls. I highly doubt the auditors haven’t realized that. Wow, you closed out 30 cases! Yeah, everyone else did the work for them because they were too lazy to do what they were supposed to. It is unfair to let some do what others can’t. The ones that SHOULDNT be micro managed are and the one that’s should be aren’t. It is clear that most black employees are let loose and can do and say as they please. They are given WAY more opportunities to mess up. I am not sure what it is, but if they’re scared they’re going to get sued for discrimination, they shouldn’t worry about black employees doing it, as they have no substance, but the other races do. Also, an HR employee need to learn how to speak to employees. If you’re going to be so abrasive, this job isn’t for you.
    Also, the pay is garbage. No, we don’t expect $17+ , but 12 isn’t keeping anyone afloat in Dallas. “ There is no money” yeah, okay. Most people have second jobs/side hustles or are lucky enough to be in a two income home.

"GIS layoffs in 2018. Includes IT department and other Departments"

I have been working at General Information Services full-time

Pros

I wouldn't recommend a dog to work at this company.

Cons

Stay away from this company. Financially Unstable. low pay. Very high health insurance. This company is hiring people from different states, because they have a bad reputation in SC.

Advice to Management

I don't know if this place can be helped.

10. "Public Records"

I worked at General Information Services full-time

Pros

The shift and hours were the best !

Cons

Management, and no room to grow/advance