General Mills Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

General Mills Minneapolis Reviews

Updated March 22, 2017

Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN Area

Pros
Cons
  • I made great money at General Mills, but there's no work/life balance (in 80 reviews)

• Slow and conservative decision making (in 40 reviews)

"GMI"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

General Mills has a great work life balance, on site amenities, and benefits package. There are also plenty of great, smart people to work with.

Cons

Declining revenues, and pressure to deliver earnings are creating headwinds on the company. Brands have lost relevance for today's consumer, and Mills has been slow to react. There's plenty of red tape for any decision to be made, which impairs creativity and innovation.

Advice to Management

Reduce red tape and speed decisions for innovation. Big ideas must move to market faster in order to turn the company around. Too many layers of management.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Senior Planner in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Senior Planner in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Incredible work life balance (dependent on team)
    -Amazing people - all high achievers that never drop the ball
    -Awesome perks - free gym and reasonable health care!
    -Freedom to make your career what you want it to be
    -Making the right moves for growth -Natural, Organic and eCommerce

Cons

-Shaky fiscal quarters at times (can be scary for job security)
    -Creativity can be limited with budget constraints

"Great Company in a Big Transition"

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing people, both college recruits and experienced. Very progressive office environment, lots of amenities, open access to leadership (if in FUSE), and a great cafeteria. Opportunities to lead are everywhere as it moves from being a US company with businesses in other countries to a global company. Great values, demonstrated daily. I love being part of General Mills.

Cons

Transitions are messy, so if you expect a clear (career/org/process/promotion) path right now you won't be have one. Groups or functions that thought they were 'essential' to success are discovering they are, but for only 1 of the 4 global segments. After a few years here, you can forget how the world really works and feel a bit entitled.

Advice to Management

Be clearer about the outcomes that are expected against the critical priorities. Show commitment to change by moving resources faster, drawing from the activities that are necessary to do but not driving growth.

"Bad management, good people"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people are caring, creative, efficient and great to work with.

Cons

Management seems to have no idea what people do and why resources spend time on support vs projects. No work life balance, with lots of weekend work.

Advice to Management

Documentation and training are necessary to reduce support, which in turn will get more projects done.
    Resource allocation is pretty much nonexistent. Leaving many frustrated and overworked.

6. "Great Place to Start a Career"

Current Employee - Business Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Business Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

management cares about the development of employees, great culture and work life balance. Benefits are better than any I have seen

Cons

Living at headquarters in snowy MN

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a great company.

Cons

Leadership is strongly lacking. They don't take any accountability for reality.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the top layer and bring in new blood to refresh the way of thinking.

8. "Logistics Manager"

Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

Work life balance, great benefits, good bonus, career advancement, great people, and great brands to work on

Cons

Reactive speed is not quick enough to market

"Once Proud Company Struggles to Make Needed Changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Large company with a broad range of products offers the potential for a variety of experiences.
    -Making sustainability strides including aggressive external commitments on sourcing and emissions.

Cons

-Business first, not people first. It once felt like the opposite here, but once the business struggled the emphasis became "winning," not empowering people to do their best.
    -A change averse culture that prevents us from really being successful as a company. As we have gone through several restructures and layoffs, we have made attempts to improve decision making and prioritization. But they have all fallen flat because there is a fair amount of leadership in denial of the change needed or actively resistant to it. So it only leads to broken promises and disengagement in the workforce.
    -Candor and authenticity is not embraced. Leadership pays lip-service to these behaviors, but doesn't model them. So if you have a dissenting opinion, or are seen as not "falling in line" behind decisions, it can have negative impacts on your career.
    -Slow pace of advancement within R&D. This is implicitly acknowledged here, and the tacit understanding is you would have job security in exchange. With regular layoffs, there is no longer the job security, but the pace of advancement is still slow.
    -Siloed organizations prioritize their own objectives over those of the company at large.

Advice to Management

-Candor and transparency need to be modeled at the top of the organization, so all employees feel empowered to follow suit. Without this, people will be unable to call out bad decisions, and feel the need to fall in line so they don't endanger their careers.
    -Your inability to make positive culture changes is not only damaging business results, but also resulting in the loss of the great people this company was once known for. The business reality dictates that we lay people off, but we are losing even more people because we aren't making positive culture changes. When the change agents and big picture thinkers are gone, we will only be left with people who want the status quo of mediocrity.
    -We need to realize how consumers perceive our brands and own it, that is how we return to growth. Totino's is excelling at this. When we think our brands are better than they are, we get arrogant, and fail to deliver meaningful products to our consumers. Natural color Trix or antibiotic free chicken in Progresso are examples of added cost that didn't deliver anything meaningful to consumers.

"Competitive benefits"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gmi offers Competitive benefits and many unique benefits like on site child care, auto center, and salon which go far in driving satisfaction!

Cons

Some Benefits are reduced each year, which is unfortunate. Many of the more unique benefits were the first to go.

Advice to Management

Look beyond the bottom line

11. "Great company and culture!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with are amazing at what they do and truly want to win as a team. I have had some great managers who really care about what my career desires are and help me to achieve them as I grow with the company.

Cons

Sometimes we have too many meetings and get stuck in the paralysis by analysis phase. We like for things to be 100% perfect before we move forward but we are starting to get better about acting boldly and moving quickly in our work.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on consumer first, leading by example and transparency as they'll help produce the results we're striving for

Showing 505 of 1,413 reviews