General Mills Reviews in Minnesota | Glassdoor

Updated January 8, 2018

Minnesota

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Good culture but long way to go"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture
    Summer Fridays off
    Strong marketing experience
    Work-life balance

Cons

Feels stuck in time, old-school practices
    Slow, set processes

"Strong Finanical compensator but lacked balance."

Former Employee - Electrician in Chanhassen, MN
    Former Employee - Electrician in Chanhassen, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They paid their employees very well. There was never a shortage of a work and and they supplied your uniforms. They offered free samples of there baked goods in the break room as well. 401k was offered.

Cons

It was a completely independent working environment. There was no team work. They never offered any training and employees were forced to figure out things out for themselves even in hazardous environments.

Advice to Management

Please offer safety training. When employees are working in these types of hazardous environments in which people could become seriously injured or a life(s) could be lost. It should be a most basic and common courtesy to employees particularly to new inexperienced employees to fit them with the knowledge and skill to protect themselves if they have taken it upon themselves to work for you and your company.

"Losing faith - starting to look elsewhere."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was one of the best companies in the world before tough times and poor leadership damaged its legacy. Wonderful people, smart, challenging. Great ethics.

Cons

It's hard to keep the faith at General Mills, especially after this week. The company announced it is ending the pension plan they stopped offering new employees four years ago. In 10 years, you can no longer accrue more benefits. They will switch to enhanced 401k for portability. This makes little sense if you are older and a bit of extra 401k matching would never come near what they have cut. It's a hard pill to swallow having not gone job hunting through several rounds of layoffs and a year where leadership admitted the made some mistakes. If they are willing to cut benefits every few years, along with people, approach cautiously. They just targeted staff with 4-20 years of experience and you may be next. Yes I was blessed to have a pension at all, but that is the compensation we agreed to. And yes, I have time to change plans and save more, but I would have preferred a no raise year for everyone instead of just us experienced staff having to put more away. I would certainly worry about working at a company that keeps increasing its dividends, but not profit or volume. Additionally the new performance policy forces managers to fit you into a curve. Awesome if you are the guaranteed small percentage of winners. Less so if you fall to the mandatory low-performers.

Advice to Management

Cutting the benefits of your experienced staff can't be counterbalanced by managers told to "make work fun". I'm going to be giving you as much as I feel I'm getting back. I certainly am not going to reject the headhunters on Linked In any more, but maybe that is what you want.

"Misses the Mark on Values"

Current Employee - Management in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Management in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are commensurate with average, but decreasing and are not competitive anymore. Not sure what else to say here.

Cons

Doesn't live up to values anymore. The company is losing ground and is moving too slowly. Too many restructures leave employees feeling overworked and overwhelmed to compensate for losses. People don't feel comfortable speaking up.

Advice to Management

Refocus on treating people right, or they will leave.

"Losing company that doesn't know it yet"

Current Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gorgeous campus at headquarters

Definitely possible to maintain good work-life balance if you are a strong performer and manage expectations

Middle management is strong with people who care about their teams

Cons

General Mills has become a husk of the company that it once was. It recruits marketers under the pretense that they will get great training and a world-class education in general management. That might have been true five years ago, but the company has consistently found ways to repel top talent, and so you will not have truly high-performing peers or leaders from whom to learn. There is an ever-shrinking pool of manager desks and even fewer director desks available, and so advancement is very limited even if you're a star performer. You can get equally average training and far faster advancement elsewhere.

HR and senior executives are woefully disconnected from the realities of the labor market and seem to think that General Mills still has something special to offer job seekers. This is confusing, because last I checked, 20 of our 26 major US brands are in decline. General Mills isn't competing for talent with other CPG companies, it's competing with Tech, start-ups, or companies that actually make a difference in people's lives. HR and senior executives need to wake up to the fact that the recession is over and people have a choice again. If the company can't offer a meaningful learning experience or compensation to offset, it probably shouldn't project such arrogance with its people policies. The company needs top talent if it's going to right the ship, and leadership is not taking steps to make it happen. One can easily see this by looking at the steady decline in "best places to work" rankings from being #1 in 2009 to not even on the list in 2016.

The company continues to give away all of the resources to shareholders and squeeze it out of employees. Healthcare choices were reduced, vacation tracking is tightening, onsite clinic is no longer free, onsite gym is no longer free, referral bonus program is all but eliminated, no cost of living adjustments or relocation benefits are given when transferring to more expensive markets like San Francisco. Teams are stretched with too few resources to succeed, with hardly any business-related travel allowed and low headcount. The company scolds teams for missing sales targets, and yet the company can afford to pay out massive dividends and share buybacks to shareholders who aren't even asking for them.

Advice to Management

Stop scoreboard watching and act like leaders - the bottom 85% of the company doesn't respect you at all. You can afford to treat your people much better than you have chosen to and you know it.

Don't champion a consumer first strategy by taking shareholder first actions. Don't champion a play to win culture when you yourselves play not to lose. It's 2017, and the approach you took to ascend the organization doesn't work anymore. The marketplace is dynamic now, and you can't win with a set-and-forget TV plan by itself.

6. "Challenging times, but still great place to work"

Current Employee - Global Consumer Insights in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Global Consumer Insights in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

- Great experience. The chance to work for billion dollar brands and with iconic names like Cheerios, Nature Valley, Lucky Charms, Betty Crocker and Pillsbury is rewarding and fun. Consumer Insights at General Mills is largely considered one of the best places to get marketing research experience.

- Two year rotations. Don't like your current job? Don't worry. Every two years you get to work with a new brand, a new team and do very different work ranging from internal marketing best practices, to innovation with c-stores, to advertising for a national brand. This keeps the work interesting and also provides incredible career development opportunities.

- Strong work/life balance. If you are a strong performer and can manage expectations, you can usually work 40-45 hours a week. Managers actually care about your work/life balance and are willing to adjust workload accordingly.

- Great people. From coworkers, to middle managers to senior leaders, I feel that the people that work at General Mills are both intelligent, hard-working and someone you'd actually be happy to hang out with. I've had over 7 managers in my career, and the managers I have met at General Mills have been the best I've experienced.

- Competitive pay and benefits. Strong salaries mean that it can be hard to leave General Mills--few companies in the Twin Cities compensate as well.

Cons

- Challenging times. Currently the CPG industry is facing serious challenges as consumers are seeking fresh foods, unprocessed ingredients and are reducing sugar intake. Leadership is strong, but is pressured to make less-than-optimal choices to improve trends in the short-term. The company culture is not the same as it was in the past, but it is still the best company culture I have ever experienced (and haven't heard of many companies that come close).

7. "R&D Mamager"

Former Employee - R&D Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - R&D Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large global company with good benefits and very smart people. Great brands. They do employ only the best thinkers out there.

Cons

Very Minnesota nice and to many levels to get approval. Lack of strategy.
    Very pigeon holed positions with little power or freedom.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees.

"Long time successful food company has great practices but not amazing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, low daily stress, collaborative environment, high amount of responsibility

Cons

Company is not growing, lack of "passion", Lack of diversity/heavy Minnesota culture, unclear business processes.

Advice to Management

Invest more into younger employees, make pursuits more prevalent in objectives/priorities

"Takes care of their employees, but the company is slow moving"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great people. General Mills takes good care of its employees. I've receieved extensive training, I have a very supportive manager, and I have a team that helps each other. I have a fair amount of responsibility considering this is my first year.

Cons

Minnesota nice culture. Our decisions are often made on concensus. This diffuses responsibility so that no one is accountable when something goes wrong.

Advice to Management

Entrust leaders with the power to drive decisions. Allow people at all levels to give input and make sure they feel valued.

"Will navel gaze until 3G buys them."

Former Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fewer and fewer.....nice campus, a few good people left. Always hopeful,they could turn it around...but won't happen. Really look at yourself in the mirror...do,you have the best talent.

Cons

HR leadership is terrible and dishonest. Don't believe what they say and be very careful as they will terminate you if you have an opinion.

Advice to Management

None...we've been giving it to you for years but you don't listen.

Showing 549 of 1,613 reviews