General Mills Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeff Harmening
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Not the company I thought it was"

Current Employee - Current Corporate Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Current Corporate Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong portfolio of brands. Sr. Leadership is well intentioned. There are a number of talented people who work here. Company generally pays well.

Cons

The company culture doesn't match the pay. Onboarding for experienced new hires is terrible. Company has a VERY strong culture that is difficult for new hires to get acclimated to. "We want New & Different ways of thinking/working" has almost become the company mantra but the culture tends to shun "new & different" instead of reward it. Diversity of people, culture, and ethnicity is not as acceptable as the company thinks it is. Company has been affected by a rash of turnover and the leadership doesn't seem to care.

Advice to Management

The company needs to do another shake-up. The company is full of legacy leaders (especially at the middle-management level) who have been with the company for a decade or more and don't have a pulse on the world outside of General Mills' walls. Human Resources Analytics has confirmed that turnover has been on a steep increase for quite a while now and the leaders within the company seem completely stumped as to the reasons why. Finally, the company should place less focus on hitting the diversity hiring quota and instead should focus on improving the ability to retain the diverse talent it has. Currently, the aforementioned turnover is highest among its diverse population.

"cereal plant"

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

weekly paycheck is very nice.

Cons

You work 20 days in a row very often forced OT at last minute.

Advice to Management

please get out on the floor so that everyone there is working not just a select few!!!

3. "General Mills"

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

great benefits and salary, good people

Cons

move people too soon, wants to win but just can't, slow to adapt to changes in the marketplace, "me too" innovation

Advice to Management

Don't promote before a person is ready

"Global Consumer Insights"

I worked at General Mills full-time

Pros

Smart community of people
    Good values

Cons

Lack of transparency and leadership
    You need to plan the parties to get visibility
    Initiatives are not consumer first

"Struggling to right the ship"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and brands. Fair pay.

Cons

Too focused on Wall Street. Froze the pension to cut costs to deliver earnings.
     Employees are just overhead.

Advice to Management

Maybe all of us worker bees are replaceable, but the business results haven't gotten better since you stopped caring about us as people.

"Scheduling Planner"

Former Employee - Scheduling Planner in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Scheduling Planner in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are great benefits at General Mills. There are lots of opportunities for growth. There is a lot of ability to move cross functionally.

Cons

The upward movement path is for select people. They do not hold their employees accountable. There have been two rounds of layoffs in the last several years and the culture has deteriorated as a result.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equally. If you start out in a program you have a huge advantage. There are not enough opportunities for experienced hires.

7. "Temporary's are worked like dogs!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at General Mills as a contractor

Pros

Full time positions get paid handsomely.

Cons

Temporary's are hired through Select Staffing, Full-time employees get paid $16-$24 just to work the temporary employees like dogs. They forced us to work Monday-Sunday ! I feel that temporary employees should be treated with the same integrity as full-time employees.

Advice to Management

Fire Select Staffing as your temporary employee provider, and hire on more full time employees.

"Losing faith - starting to look elsewhere."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was one of the best companies in the world before tough times and poor leadership damaged its legacy. Wonderful people, smart, challenging. Great ethics.

Cons

It's hard to keep the faith at General Mills, especially after this week. The company announced it is ending the pension plan they stopped offering new employees four years ago. In 10 years, you can no longer accrue more benefits. They will switch to enhanced 401k for portability. This makes little sense if you are older and a bit of extra 401k matching would never come near what they have cut. It's a hard pill to swallow having not gone job hunting through several rounds of layoffs and a year where leadership admitted the made some mistakes. If they are willing to cut benefits every few years, along with people, approach cautiously. They just targeted staff with 4-20 years of experience and you may be next. Yes I was blessed to have a pension at all, but that is the compensation we agreed to. And yes, I have time to change plans and save more, but I would have preferred a no raise year for everyone instead of just us experienced staff having to put more away. I would certainly worry about working at a company that keeps increasing its dividends, but not profit or volume. Additionally the new performance policy forces managers to fit you into a curve. Awesome if you are the guaranteed small percentage of winners. Less so if you fall to the mandatory low-performers.

Advice to Management

Cutting the benefits of your experienced staff can't be counterbalanced by managers told to "make work fun". I'm going to be giving you as much as I feel I'm getting back. I certainly am not going to reject the headhunters on Linked In any more, but maybe that is what you want.

"Misses the Mark on Values"

Current Employee - Management in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Management in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are commensurate with average, but decreasing and are not competitive anymore. Not sure what else to say here.

Cons

Doesn't live up to values anymore. The company is losing ground and is moving too slowly. Too many restructures leave employees feeling overworked and overwhelmed to compensate for losses. People don't feel comfortable speaking up.

Advice to Management

Refocus on treating people right, or they will leave.

"Losing company that doesn't know it yet"

Current Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gorgeous campus at headquarters

Definitely possible to maintain good work-life balance if you are a strong performer and manage expectations

Middle management is strong with people who care about their teams

Cons

General Mills has become a husk of the company that it once was. It recruits marketers under the pretense that they will get great training and a world-class education in general management. That might have been true five years ago, but the company has consistently found ways to repel top talent, and so you will not have truly high-performing peers or leaders from whom to learn. There is an ever-shrinking pool of manager desks and even fewer director desks available, and so advancement is very limited even if you're a star performer. You can get equally average training and far faster advancement elsewhere.

HR and senior executives are woefully disconnected from the realities of the labor market and seem to think that General Mills still has something special to offer job seekers. This is confusing, because last I checked, 20 of our 26 major US brands are in decline. General Mills isn't competing for talent with other CPG companies, it's competing with Tech, start-ups, or companies that actually make a difference in people's lives. HR and senior executives need to wake up to the fact that the recession is over and people have a choice again. If the company can't offer a meaningful learning experience or compensation to offset, it probably shouldn't project such arrogance with its people policies. The company needs top talent if it's going to right the ship, and leadership is not taking steps to make it happen. One can easily see this by looking at the steady decline in "best places to work" rankings from being #1 in 2009 to not even on the list in 2016.

The company continues to give away all of the resources to shareholders and squeeze it out of employees. Healthcare choices were reduced, vacation tracking is tightening, onsite clinic is no longer free, onsite gym is no longer free, referral bonus program is all but eliminated, no cost of living adjustments or relocation benefits are given when transferring to more expensive markets like San Francisco. Teams are stretched with too few resources to succeed, with hardly any business-related travel allowed and low headcount. The company scolds teams for missing sales targets, and yet the company can afford to pay out massive dividends and share buybacks to shareholders who aren't even asking for them.

Advice to Management

Stop scoreboard watching and act like leaders - the bottom 85% of the company doesn't respect you at all. You can afford to treat your people much better than you have chosen to and you know it.

Don't champion a consumer first strategy by taking shareholder first actions. Don't champion a play to win culture when you yourselves play not to lose. It's 2017, and the approach you took to ascend the organization doesn't work anymore. The marketplace is dynamic now, and you can't win with a set-and-forget TV plan by itself.

Showing 150 of 1,598 reviews