General Mills Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeff Harmening

1,463 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Highly Ethical and Purpose Driven"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to grow as a leader in a best practice environment with incredibly smart, talented colleagues. This is a company that truly is invested in "doing the right thing all the time", one of its core values. It is the home of large, iconic brands like Cheerios, Nature Valley, Pillsbury and Betty Crocker and Hagen Daz (outside of the US), but also features smaller natural/organic brands like Larabar, Annie's, Food Should Taste Good and Cascadian Farms. A great place to work for a global company and learn how to run a business and build brands from one of the very best operators in the industry.

Cons

The company is highly matrixed (like most in the industry) and team oriented - not a great fit if you are not strong at collaboration.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the consumer and continue the transformation underway to move the portfolio towards growth!

2. "All round great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at General Mills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great work perks
    - great salary
    - flexi hours

Cons

- work culture can be challenging

3. "Great company to work for because of the people!"

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

The people I work with are like my family. They are one of the main reasons I love coming into work. There's a strong sense of community and togetherness. There are also nice perks - gym, nurses/doctors, flexible schedule, summer hours, great benefits, free food.

Cons

Going through changes, re-orgs, seeing friends leave (sometimes willingly) is tough. Change is tough, however feels like it's happening everywhere. Weird separation between technicians and scientists/engineers.

Advice to Management

Keep showing appreciation to all.

4. "Retail Sales Representative"

I worked at General Mills full-time

Pros

Travel locally, work from home office, company car, great benefits

Cons

Supervisors range from inspiring to Micro-managers. Compensation and bonuses have changed for worse, goals can be unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Management needs to recognize employee successes more frequently.

5. "Production Artist 2"

Former Employee - Production Artist II in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Production Artist II in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid company in a wonderful facility. Great art collection. Work with best MBA's in the country. Deep pockets.

Cons

My job title was Production Artist 2, but was more like Art Director without the pay. Titles all screwed up. Layed off the entire in house design team. Very sad. Work was critiqued by female workers and shot down more than once. Corporate ladder alive and well there.

Advice to Management

Better professionalism.

6. "Alright job"

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

Hours are ok and a lot of OT

Cons

Not enough pay for the work

Advice to Management

Pay your employees

7. "Best working environment"

Current Employee - Pasta Operator in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Pasta Operator in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at General Mills (More than a year)

Pros

very friendly environment for work

Cons

not suitable for someone who is used to work in slow paced environment

"The Bonsai tree of CPG Food"

Former Employee - Consumer Insights Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Consumer Insights Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Applies to Minneapolis (I didn’t work in the plants): whip smart line employees (sub-manager), a real recognition company-wide that things aren’t working, some leaders are willing to cut the BS and get results, generally a progressive HR and a desire to be a good company.
    Very entrepreneurial within limits. If you can build and keep consensus you’ll go far. If you can’t, don’t even apply.

Strong institutional history. Cutting edge marketing thinking in many ways. A scary-smart R&D function.

Cons

The rotation culture stunts the company. The needless movement of employees is like a Bonsai artist trimming anything growing. The rotation system kills institutional memory, limits an employee’s ability to see a project through to sustainability, incentivizes rampant careerism, and ensures you’re always focused on the next role to the detriment of your current role.

My “2 year rotations” were as follows: 18 months, 6 months, 9 months, 14 months. I gave up mastering the job; what was the point? Most marketing-related employees abandon any notion of deep competency and strive only for shallow short-term wins. Every year they’re either rotating or getting a new boss. 1 quarter out of every 4 is focused on reacting to turnover. The path to promotion is gaming the rotation system. Since your projects won’t be judged 2 years down the line on efficacy, you only need worry about their visibility at launch. If your idea is flawed, the failure becomes the next person’s responsibility. The prior employee’s systems are adopted regardless of whether they were effective.
    You might do better with the rotations. It’s possible to leverage them into career success. I just couldn’t live with how they killed company performance over the years I worked there.

Most glaring is that current leadership is rarely impacted through 3 layoffs.

Advice to Management

Stop rotations until the company returns to 4 straight quarters of growth. Yes, you will lose “top talent” but these bright-stocking “bleed blue” people are only gaming you (by the way, “bleed blue” is an insufferable phrase muttered only by those who haven’t bled blue). Return to long-term thinking.

Incentivize employees to build foundational excellence. Allow rotations for bad fits, but focus on re-growing all the expertise you’ve suffocated by not allowing pride in one’s desk. Happy hours don’t make a team. Only shared suffering makes a team. Let the flowers bloom.

You’ll have to finally tell HR to pound sand, because everyone knows they’re 50% of the decisions in the company. Kick them out of the top meetings.
    Keep studying excellence at GMI. Supply Chain works and ITQ works. Primarily because they don’t do what Marketing does.

Finally, consider exit interviews for layoffs. You might learn why 10+ year employees suddenly stop performing.

9. "It's a great place to work at."

Current Employee - Production Worker in Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - Production Worker in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work at. I really enjoy working here. The people are nice and the job pay well. There is alot to learn.

Cons

I have had any issues with this job. I enjoy working there. The pay is good, good benefits. And opportunity advancements

Advice to Management

None

10. "Marketing Associate"

I worked at General Mills full-time

Pros

-Great Company
    -Lots of room for growth

Cons

-Manager could have been more helpful

Advice to Management

-Interact more with workers

Showing 1,463 of 1,549 reviews