General Mills Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2017

1. "Buyer"

Current Employee - Buyer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Buyer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging roles, many opportunities for advancement. Employee culture that invests in its people.

Cons

Still trying to figure out how to be a nimble organization.

2. "Buyer"

Former Employee - Buyer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Buyer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning ground. Many opportunities.

Cons

Big company politics. Pooled incentive structure that doesn't reward individual performance.

3. "Challenging and Rewarding Work"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I truly love my career at General Mills. The values and beliefs of this company and the mission to serve the world is inspiring and lived through aspect of the company. The employees are driven, collaborative, and passionate about achieving success. General Mills values diversity and invests a lot of time and resources into professional development and tools to advance and stretch your thinking. Now, more than ever, GMI is seeking strong leadership skills, bias for action and comfort navigating ambiguity and taking calculated risks. If you are energized by high performing teams and collaborating with brilliant people from diverse backgrounds, this company is for you! Oh, and the ameneites are

Cons

The business environment in CPG is challenging in this day and age where barriers to entry are lower and consumers many times trust small, start-up companies in people's garage more than a large company. Although I have all the confidence in the world that the people and these brands will be around for another 150 years, it can at times be stressful when you aren't seeing the business success that you are used to historically seeing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Keep celebrating new and different points of view and reward calculated risks even if the result is not favorable.

5. "General Mills Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Sourcing Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sourcing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Focus on people, training and development, building community and culture, great brands

Cons

Consensus driven culture in a big company means we can move slower than necessary

6. "Company that Truely Cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel very cared for by General Mills - from their benefits packages to the individual development plan that employees are responsible for. I feel responsible for my own career, and am allowed independence and freedom in crafting my career path strategy. Management cares and wants to find places that will not only grow you, but stretch you to become a higher quality contributor to success. I appreciate my highly competent peers, the collaborative environment, and the emphasis on winning together.

Cons

Because the company is so large and highly collaborative, sometimes decision making can be slow. I would also encourage a more effective transition process when employees are off/on-boarded onto desks to minimize job disruptions.

Advice to Management

Continue to bring structure to on/off-boarding. On an unrelated note, I would love it if the company subsidized gym memberships (beyond the HQ facility).

7. "Logistics Professional"

Current Employee - Logistics Team Lead in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Logistics Team Lead in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work flexibility, collaborative work environment, strong integrity, values doing the right thing, competitive, fun work environment

Cons

Agility on speed to market, clear decision rights, ability to be close with and truly know the consumer.

Advice to Management

Be transparent, allow people to lead and make decisions at all levels, invest in great managers, remove barriers and 'approval' chains to allow me to move faster, remove redundant work and help me prioritize by saying 'no' to the less important

8. "Customer Operations Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Operations Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Operations Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, great coworkers and people - it is truly remarkable how smart, kind, thoughtful, and helpful everyone is. Great resources, benefits, and jobs. Another huge bonus is that you are given the ability to have a life - thanks to workflex hours and the ability to work from home if needed. Also, the gyms here are very nice and well maintained - there are also beautiful running/walking paths on or near campus. I can't rave enough about my current experience here - I love it!

Cons

I am truly happy at General Mills, but as any big corporation, it's hard to rapidly move up or make decisions in your job independently because of multiple bosses. I also hear that outside experience is meaningless - it only matters how much General Mills experience you have. Therefore, you should be cautious as to what level you begin your career here.

9. "Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture and friend;y place to grow your career

Cons

hard to advance without relocation

10. "Awesome Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

General Mills has awesome people working together in all disciplines. Everyone is bright, driven, and smart. It creates a very positive, work hard culture. This is also true at different locations throughout the company, not just at corporate in Minneapolis. They are also flexible with work-life balance, flexible non-structured hours, work from home if needed, etc.

Cons

There have been a lot of HR changes recently - still trying to get on the right path and be transparent with employees.

11. "Quality Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people here are incredible. Super sharp and committed. The culture emphasizes human and food safety. The leadership is accessible and visionary.

Cons

HR not transparent about promotion practices, benefits, etc
    Cost cutting measures are affecting the company culture by limiting networking opportunities.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee feedback on HR practices; balance cost cutting with employee morale

Showing 361 of 1,458 reviews