General Mills Reviews | Glassdoor

General Mills Reviews

Cons

1. "Keep doing what you are doing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Pros

great work life balance, employee programs

Cons

without advanced degree hard to get ahead

Advice to Management

NA

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Customer Account Manager II in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Account Manager II in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Benefits, people, culture, work-life balance

Cons

In the sales career path, you are expected to move around alot which makes it extremely challenging if you are married and trying to manage dual careers.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

3. "Great place to work, challenges with career progression at senior levels"

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Organization and professionalism, quality of life, remuneration and benefits. There is an excellent and transparent incentive plan with clearly set out and measureable objectives related to both company ( either corporate, division or function) performance and personal performance. ( the objectiveness of personal performance review will be more dependenmt on your individual manager but consistency is improving)
    They focuis on training and development and are willing to invest in individual personal development.
    The brands and products are excellent and you can always feel proud when telling people outside the company what you work on from Cheerios, to Haagen Dazs - some of the most sought after brands to manage in any company worldwide. For example, Haagen Dazs is the most prestigious brand after only Sony in the highly brand aware country of Japan. If you are really interested, the opportunity for International experience is growing fast with potential for moves to other countries around the world - usually reserved for more experioenced managers and high potential people in the organization

Cons

Slow, matrix structure makes navigating the organization difficult - anyone has the popwer of veto, no-one has authority to make a decision when there are cross funtional / divisional challenges

Advice to Management

Keep going, reconsider some ofd the matrix structure to enhance speed, but keeping the tension that this generates. Be willing to make some of the hard decisions that are necessary for improved effieciencies in communication and workflow. The organization is top heavy.

4. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The Company Cares about employees and is walking the walk about doing the right thing

Cons

A bit hard to be nimble and creative due to the large size

Advice to Management

Make speedier decisions

5. "Plenty of freedom."

Current Employee - Packaging Developer in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Packaging Developer in Golden Valley, MN

Pros

We are all entrusted with a lot of freedom on how and when we do our jobs. We each have control of every aspect of our daily schedules in which a balance of work completion, personal growth, and fun is encouraged. Every manager I've seen is a positive role model and communicates effectively.

Cons

The systems are combersome and redundant. Because of the unfriendly nature of the interfaces and involvement of many people with their schedules it takes quite a bit of time to use the systems to create, edit, and approve work. This was obviously apparent when I was new but I became complacent towards it as time went on.

Advice to Management

We need R&D and operations to each have a stake in their performance. Gaining mutual participation is getting harder and harder with separate goals.

6. "A world of products waits for you at General Mills R&D."

Current Employee - Senior Scientist II in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist II in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

With the diversity of products at General Mills, there is plenty of opportunities for people in the technical community to explore other product areas to expand their knowledge. I have worked with several other companies, some large and some small, by this point in my career. General Mills seems to truly care about supporting their employees.

Cons

At my level, advancement becomes something that occurs by committee. While it is not exactly a matter of politics, it is a matter of exposure. This suits many employees but introverts have a harder time with it.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open to new ideas

7. "Ken is doing an excellent job, and he leads a very strong management team."

Former Employee - Retiree in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Retiree in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

General Mills has great people, great brands and a culture of integrity. They devote time and money to develpoing the leadership skills of their people, which makes it a great place to start a career. The company and the Minneapolis location allow for a very positive work/life balance.

Cons

The winters in Minneapolis are long, and the summers seem short. It is fun to work with great poeple, but you are competing with those great people for opportunities to move up.

Advice to Management

The recent increase in the company's intenational presence is a positive, but they shouldn't be satisfied until at least half of the company's sales are outside the U.S.

8. "General Mills - great brands, great people, great place!"

Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The people and the atmosphere. When I was first recruiting, I even got skeptical because I could not believe that everyone at this company is so passionate about the work they do - when they talked about it, their eyes glowed and they just couldn't stop. But when I joined I realized it is true, and it doesn't just apply to my function (Marketing) - I've had the opportunity to work with cross-functional teams where people are so passionate that I have my R&D colleague approaching me about an opportunity to improve margins and my Finance colleague about an idea for a new product. It truly make working here a very enjoyable and easy experience.
    All this is enhanced by the fact that we work in a gorgeous campus - it's the best I've see (and I've seen many, since I used to be a consultant). We even have an art curator to take care of all the art around the building, the cafeteria is amazing, we have a great gym, hair salon, concierge, company store... what else could you want?

Cons

The only downside right now is that the company is doing so great in these times, that no one wants to leave the company, so it's creating a backlog and it's taking a bit longer than usual for people to get promoted. And because General Mills pays so much attention in hiring very bright and passionate people, and because it's a very caring employer, they are not very active in managing people out.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that they keep the information flowing, because it's truly energizing for employees when there's transparency at the top and everyone is aware of what's going on and what to expect.

9. "Great company with great people!"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Great work life balance and loads of talented people at all levels.

Cons

No downsides that I've found yet.

Advice to Management

Just keep up the good work!

10. "Great Company with opportunities to get even better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Career Opportunities, work/life balance, and good compensation

Cons

slow decision making, promotions based on tenure

Advice to Management

Promote based on performance, not tenure