General Mills Reviews | Glassdoor

1,364 Employee Reviews

"management"

Current Employee - RBG in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - RBG in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at General Mills (Less than a year)

Pros

Insurance and easy work. Great benefits

Cons

Good Ole boys in team leadership. Favoritism. Lots of nontruth and covering up. MC'S not having a backbone to fix situations. Hiring MC'S don't know anything -MC'S too young. People not being treated equal.cons get a way with everything. Too many people having affairs and MC'S giving them special treatment to sneak around. MC'S too scared to do the right thing. Everyone has to take the butt chewing for the slackers. Seniority does mean anything. Certain ones gets what they want, when the want it. Hard and loyal workers are treated unfairly.

Advice to Management

Get their priorities straight. Hard workers should be awarded not get their butt chewed. Cheaters, liars, users should be terminated. Needs a new MC'S should be replaced with honest, hard working individuals not spineless and too scared to get their hands dirty MC's. Things that is supposed to be confidential with plant manager and other management, should stay that way. Open door policy is a joke. What is a person suppose to do? Talk to ethics committee or What? Team environment is a joke.

"Competitive benefits"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gmi offers Competitive benefits and many unique benefits like on site child care, auto center, and salon which go far in driving satisfaction!

Cons

Some Benefits are reduced each year, which is unfortunate. Many of the more unique benefits were the first to go.

Advice to Management

Look beyond the bottom line

3. "Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, IL

I have been working at General Mills (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits for current employees

Cons

Closing many plants nation wide

5. "Great company and culture!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with are amazing at what they do and truly want to win as a team. I have had some great managers who really care about what my career desires are and help me to achieve them as I grow with the company.

Cons

Sometimes we have too many meetings and get stuck in the paralysis by analysis phase. We like for things to be 100% perfect before we move forward but we are starting to get better about acting boldly and moving quickly in our work.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on consumer first, leading by example and transparency as they'll help produce the results we're striving for

6. "Love the culture, need to get better results"

Current Employee - Senior Research & Development Manager in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Research & Development Manager in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Collaboration is central to how we get work done. Work life balance is great. Love the work we do for our consumers and the communities.

Cons

Results have been poor the last 5 years because we missed trends that were happening in the industry. We are responding better now, but it has been very slow. Still slow to adapt.

Advice to Management

We have to get it right, soon. I have really appreciated our management, but we need some bigger changes at the management level. We have been so insular for development, which has served us well, but "what got us here, won't get us there".

7. "Great company, but consumer-first is changing the culture"

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Encouraged to rotate to different positions internally.
    Very high tenure.
    Fantastic work-life balance.
    So many down to earth people work here.
    Happy hours at the office every Thursday!

Cons

The world of food has changed drastically the past 5 years, so the company has undergone many changes. Hard to get budget for anything right now.

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at General Mills (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent Leadership development and support, close ties to the community, great benefits and worked with a lot of very talented people.

Cons

Not many cons, prior to layoffs in 2012, which impacted the company culture negatively.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for ways to grow and leverage the deep talent at General Mills

"Evolving to meet new challenges"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Delano, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Delano, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture focused on "consumer first" and winning as a team. "Do the right thing all the time" is the core value and is truly lived day to day. Strong focus on individual development, through training and through regular job rotation at all levels of the organization. On a journey to operate more globally and react more nimbly to meet consumer needs like a small startup could.

Cons

Change isn't always easy, and we're going through a lot of change in structure and process in order to compete in a rapidly changing market. It's uncomfortable or frustrating for some people who were used to long years of prosperity and profitability without the need to change.

Advice to Management

Be sure to model the behaviors we need everyone to develop around acting boldly, moving quickly and allowing for some things to be imperfect as we figure out how to move more quickly. Expecting everything to be 100% buttoned up before it's discussed will keep slowing us down and stifle real innovation. Leave decision rights at the appropriate level, help your teams stick to a few clear priorities and let the rest of the "noise" go.

10. "Starts out good"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good 401K, benefits, and you get all of your vacation after 90 days. Some employees there will make you want to stay forever. Strong safety initiative!

Cons

Only 2 call in days. Vacation can be denied and they can switch your schedule daily. New employees walk out mid shift to pursue anything else.

Advice to Management

Pick out the bad eggs before they spoil everything. They are on the floor management.

11. "Advanced Specialist-Learning Services"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at General Mills is great. The people are amazing and the services are fantastic

Cons

I can't really think of any cons right now

Advice to Management

nothing to add

Showing 1,364 of 1,441 reviews