General Mills Senior Test Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell
Ken Powell

Pros
Cons
  • I made great money at General Mills, but there's no work/life balance (in 80 reviews)

• Slow and conservative decision making (in 40 reviews)

1. "Very Bad Experience with GM: Never Join as a Contractor in India Division."

Former Contractor - Senior Test Analyst in Mumbai (India)
    Former Contractor - Senior Test Analyst in Mumbai (India)

I worked at General Mills as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Slightly flexible work timings.
    Senior Mgmt and US team are good to work/talk with.

Cons

Two things for sure:
    Never join as a Contractor (India) and into Testing Team.

Process:
    After 3 round of interview and 1.5 month of negotiation I joined this company RELOCATING to MUMBAI, (which means leaving your previous accommodation, packaging, transportation, etc. etc )

- Company provides no accommodation, transportation, no brokerage amount, etc. (so you are on your own). It was really a mess finding a house in just 7 days 8.30 pm - 10.00 pm

Joining:
    To start with, the most hilarious part was joining. No joining location was provided till 11.00 am on DOJ.
    Then got a call and was asked to reach the venue by 12.00 pm. Sat at the reception for another 1 hour and then was sent along with another team member.
    No induction program, paper work or formalities.

The Team:
    1 Indian manager and rest team members, just like any small start up. Manager's decision is final and binding. (Whether right or wrong).

2-3 onsite team members.

Contractors are not seated with the team. They would be seated next to printers, washrooms, exits, or corners (seats changing often depending upon other teams req.)

Facilities:
    Company doesn't provide any facilities to contractual employees, viz, laptops, WFH, accesses to various websites and areas, trainings, bus facilities, etc. and they are supposed to come to office Daily irrespective of Flood, Earthquake, Monsoon, etc. (FYI.. I joined this company in June-July so suffered the most).Also was told I will get these facilities before joining, but wasnt given any.

Work:
    Though there are flexible timings for all employees, contractors would be required to work till 8.30 pm for reporting their work. Perm Employees can go to their home whenever they want and can take a call from there.
    So accordingly we thought 11.00 - 8.00 pm could be our shift timings.

For every little access (websites, application, etc etc) you would have to go to your PM and ask him for that.

As such there is no proper work for Testing team as there are no defined process, parameters, matrices, etc. In case you raise any request with Services team. Simply forget it...
    Once I got a request raised and it was processed after 1 month, that too incomplete and inadequate.

If you find yourself amused, read on.......

So within 3-4 months working there, 3 contractors were removed, without any notice.

One month later I was told that I could work with the company on the following conditions:
    1. Salary would be reduced (The first thing on which we negotiated for 1.5 months)
    2. A position would be offered in which there are no chances of learning/ growth and there is no promotion for next 5 years

After turning down this MAGNIFICENT offer, all important work and credits were given to other team members and I was told there is not enough work (although there were a lot of projects pending.)

After some time, took an approved medical leave for a few days.
    When the leaves ended and I thought of resuming back, it was told that my employment has been terminated after I took the leaves. - No notice, no formalities, no info and no pay.

PM didnt responded to any phone calls, emails, messages. and got the company email account blocked the same day on contacting Senior Managers and US Team.

Advice to Management

Get some good project managers having a Full Time MBA and good work experience and good team handling ATTITUDE, instead of personal favorites.
    Get processes and teams established. Work keeps pending for weeks and months as of now.
    Stop boasting about US culture and actually create one here. People stay there longer because they focus on transparency & employee satisfaction methods and keep their employees happy.