General Motors Reviews in Detroit, MI | Glassdoor

Updated August 16, 2017

Detroit, MI Area

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work-life balance is amazing (in 207 reviews)

• Regardless of what anyone says, the pay and benefits are great for salaried individuals (take it from someone who just relocated to the east coast) (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • What I will say to this is that work-life balance is what you make of it (in 83 reviews)

• long hours and can sometimes be stressful (in 73 reviews)

1. "EXCEL Finance Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Detroit, MI
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Detroit, MI

I worked at General Motors as an intern

Pros

My role afforded me high levels of autonomy and ownership over my projects, with direct exposure to senior executives offering the opportunity to forge strong relationships.

As an intern, the managers in my group seemed to value my opinion and include me in conversations or meetings as if I were a full-time employee.

Compensation was relatively competitive given the lower cost of living of the Detroit/Michigan area.

People were very open to questions and helpful in providing guidance.

Structured career path, with rotations across the organization happening frequently and promotions reviewed at set intervals (however, high performance can decrease the length of those intervals)

Cons

Quality of the people was not consistent. Ever since implementing the TRACK and EXCEL development tracks, there has been an influx of highly capable/intelligent people into the Finance organization, but due to the large size of the company there is an unfortunate proclivity to retain average or below-average talent in some positions.

Not much input to project rotations - management decides where you're most needed, and often move you there on short notice.

2. "Supplier Quality Engineer"

Current Employee - Supplier Quality Engineer in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Supplier Quality Engineer in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay/Benefits. Work life balance. Company growing and changing to attract millennials. Lots of room for advancement

Cons

Politics, Corporate questionable ethics and money driven decisions. Living in Detroit

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Electrical Arquitecture Engineer in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Electrical Arquitecture Engineer in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable job,good salary and great benefits,tons of opportunities to grow in your career , good learning experience ,dynamic and intercultural environment,

Cons

Minimum training for new hire.still too burocrátic,,overall GM is working progress in process improvements, increase quality,reliability, and durability for all their products.

4. "Assembly line worker"

Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Lake Orion, MI
    Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Lake Orion, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay and easy work

Cons

repetitive work but its an assembly line

5. "Global Opportunities / exciting assignments"

Current Employee - Manager in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Exciting, passionate company with great cross functional job opportunities; I moved six times with them in four different functions; you will never ever be bored

Cons

An awful lot of mediocrity in the middle layers; volume trumps content; can be political but that's every company; overall though a great company that will surprise you (my previous employer said I would be a little fish in a big pond, but that is the opposite of how I've felt over the majority of my career)

6. "Incredible Company with Long-term Growth Potential"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at General Motors for almost two years now, and I have enjoyed every second of it! I started at GM straight out of college, and got offered a salary that was significantly more generous than other companies that I interviewed at. The corporate culture is incredible, and I was very impressed by their diversity initiatives and philanthropic ventures. This, in conjunction with the fact that General Motors has wisely expanded their business reach to become a "mobility company", made the decision to work here a no-brainer. The medical benefits are excellent, and I have been leveraging their generous tuition assistance to obtain my MBA. The atomsphere is lively and inclusive, and I have been very impressed by how engaged and approachable the Executive Leadership team is. I also feel as though there is potential for long-term growth opportunities, as there are constantly opportunities for professional development and internal movement.

Cons

Parking at the RenCen isn't ideal; however that is quite marginal (plus it's free and in a secure structure, so I guess I can't really complain).

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on employee development as a retention tool. Additionally, making a conscious effort to break down silos between functions would allow employees to have a more holistic view of company operations.

7. "Several Positions held"

Former Employee - Design Release Engineer in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Design Release Engineer in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Regardless of what anyone says, the pay and benefits are great for salaried individuals (take it from someone who just relocated to the east coast). Can you make more elsewhere? Maybe (at a supplier or other in the area). But I can tell you no one is going hungry working here full-time. I think the density of the automotive industry in the Michigan area will support this for the foreseeable future.

Great time off. Also have made a recent push towards workplace of choice which I think will better attract young talent. Flex time was great.

For a very large company, I think they do a good job of promoting people that deserve it. There are always some politics involved and someone will always be in a position that they don't really deserve, or get paid more than you. With that being said, I never felt like the work I was doing wasn't being appreciated.

Multiple opportunities for young engineers to move around the company and get a vast amount of experience.

Cons

People will complain about too much work and not enough people. What I will say to this is that work-life balance is what you make of it. I came in at 7 and there were multiple days a week I might be there till 6. Sometime this is what needs to be done to get the job done. At the same time, I joined a golf league in the summer that started at 3:30 every Monday. I put a (unofficial) meeting notice in my calendar I left the office no later than 3pm on Monday's for 16 straight weeks. This is what I mean about work-life balance being what you make of it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

8. "Auditor"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, great people work together.

Cons

Too political, slow to change

9. "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Generous benefits package and a fun work environment with great people. Overall it's a great company to work for.

Cons

Things can sometimes move a bit slow when it comes to change. With the size of the company there can be a lot of process steps that slow everything down.

10. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Detroit, MI
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Detroit, MI

I worked at General Motors as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Positive environment.

Cons

None I loved it there

Showing 824 of 2,768 reviews