KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

4.0
General Motors (GM) CEO Mary Barra
Mary Barra
2,787 Ratings
Pros
  • "People work life balance promote Talent fun managers(in 462 reviews)

• "Allow Flexible schedule; Interesting projects; Good Pay(in 290 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance can be better(in 170 reviews)

• "Long hours at times due to projects(in 142 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of General Motors (GM) and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company culture

Jul 23, 2021 - QA Applications Tester in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company is great at encouraging carrier growth, Good benefits

Cons

Under pays a bit but work life balance is pretty good

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great company to work for

Jul 23, 2021 - Engineer in Warren, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for. They treat their employees well. Working for a big company means you can end up in areas where you don't like your boss or department but you can move if that is the case and the opportunities of places to move are endless. Most of the bosses I have had at GM have been wonderful and the company as a whole treats employees very well.

Cons

Big companies have red tape and move slow. Working through issues as an engineer can be frustrating as a result.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

GM is the best place to work

Jun 29, 2021 - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is so friendly at this company. General Motors has been the biggest blessing in my life. They treat everyone wonderfully, they offer a great salary, and the benefits can’t be better. It’s hard to initially get into a company right out of college. General Motors gives you a chance to come in, learn some skills, and broaden your horizons. I can’t think of any other company that I’d rather work for. I came in right out of college, but would like to stay my entire career.

Cons

I think coming initially coming into the company, it was a little scary. Everyone was so busy that it didn’t feel like a real opportunity to me. I didn’t get a ton of work in my first year and it made me scared that I wouldn’t even make it a full year at the company.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Well done GM

Jul 11, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Milford, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

The overall experience in GM was really good. - Inclusive and friendly workplace. - Easy to get a good life balance. - Salary is in the average. - Some of the high level management have a good knowledge.

Cons

Even if the overall rating is good and I've spent a very great time in GM there is as everywhere some bad apple. - Sometime promotion comes to people not qualifiedand with a gap of knoledges. - There is the trend to follow what the other companies do and do it in a not conventional way just because we are GM. This drives a lot of complexityto at each level and slow down the productivity for quite long periods. - Few directors are not able to take decision or give a clear driection and moves the responsability to their reports.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Overall Great Company

Jun 17, 2021 - Assistant Program Manager in Warren, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good upward thinking and culture - inclusive, celebratory of diversity, and takes it seriously. Great Benefits: Good 401(k) match - 4% automatically plus an additional 100% match when you put in 4% (so if you put in 4%, you're getting 8% from GM). Fully vested at 3 years. Good health benefits with three plan options which range from $20 to $390 for the monthly contribution and $1,500-5,000 for the deductible. All are HSA eligible and GM contributes $1,500 automatically when you get a yearly physical. Vacation time is at 15 days for 0-2 years and ramps up to 20 days at 2 years. That is in addition to the 16 holidays off that are automatically given (including the week between Christmas and New Years). Family leave (maternity/paternity) is 12 weeks. Birth mothers get an additional 6-8 weeks of disability leave, equating to 18-20 weeks of maternity leave.

Cons

You can get a bit bogged down in required meetings/processes, but at least every few years there are pushes to cut down and make things more efficient. Work life balance can feel encroached upon at times during project cycles. Some managers are better than others, which can bleed into career development.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good company, great benefits, work life balance sucks

Jun 17, 2021 - Senior Financial Analyst in Detroit, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility to work from home (hopefully stays after Covid) 20 vacation days to start +5 after 2 years and another +5 after 10 years Noone is usually around last 2 weeks in December, so you're guaranteed to have amazing time off with no work (i usually travel overseas for 2-3 weeks in December and noone bothers me) Bonuses are best in auto industry (typically $10K+) Challenging assignments Rotations every 2 years Access to senior leaders and mentors (high visibility in some roles)

Cons

Work life balance sucks if you're trying to get promoted. You're expected to contribute 110% on your job, be involved in recruiting, workplace of choice, and other different HR type initiatives just to put a check mark next to your name that you're a "leader". The never-ending pressure to always network feels very inauthentic. No good MBA reimbursement program (only $7K) per year, which is fine if you want to go to a low tier school, but doesn't work for most people who want to go to top 10 programs

7. 4.0
      Former Employee

GM

Jul 23, 2021 - Retired Quality Engineer in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good working conditions, fair salary, good benefits

Cons

Upper management not in tune with the real world. More interested in CYA than looking at way to change.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

New College Hire - Great starting point

Jul 22, 2021 - SAP Security Analyst in Detroit, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great starting pay Great job security for a new college grad Opportunities within the company with boosted raises Good benefits Relocation assistance Work from Home hiring

Cons

Long hours Hiring under "Entry Level Software Developer" when you could have any form of IT or tech-based role with that label

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Managers are very helpful and want you to succeed

Jul 14, 2021 - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Warren, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Manager is always looking to help and wanting to know how you're doing -Asked me what my interests were and allowed me to rank what kind of project I would want to work on. -Provided several opportunities to learn about other departments and meet other interns.

Cons

-Due to COVID, it was a very individual assignment. With the project itself, there was not a team dynamic. Mostly got feedback from weekly meetings or sending messages.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Autoworker Salary

Jul 23, 2021 - Automotive Assembly in Flint, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, tuition assistance

Cons

Very difficult on the physical body, long term overuse leads to joint replacements, chronic pain, etc

Viewing 1 - 10 of 5,794 Reviews