General Motors Reviews in Michigan | Glassdoor

Michigan

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance culture should be consistent throughout the company (in 82 reviews)

• long hours and can sometimes be stressful (in 72 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Detroit, MI
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Detroit, MI

I worked at General Motors as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Positive environment.

Cons

None I loved it there

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lots of opportunities across the globe - in 140 countries

Cons

traditional manufacturing environment at times

3. "welder"

Former Employee - Retired in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Retired in Flint, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time

Pros

Worked for gm as a welder and pallet set up man for triaxes. Had good employee relationship and positve optimistic attitude

Cons

would like a driver delivery job would be apostive influence for the company I WORK FOR and a encouragement for future growth. the only negative Quality I have is I'm in exteem debt

Advice to Management

An open mind and a willingness to share ways for me to continue and develope asuccessfull approach to live and community I have become a exallant learner

4. "rev"

Current Contractor - Data Analyst in Warren, MI
    Current Contractor - Data Analyst in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Larger company with many different avenues

Cons

If you arent you arent treat as well

5. "GM engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is good. If you want to get promoted you have to play the game. Good vacation policy. Good holidays.

Cons

If you want to get promoted don't expect to get it from just hard work. Learn to play the friends and family game.

Advice to Management

Stop picking people out for promotion 6 months after they show up. People should have to perform at.thwir assignments not just put in their time before moving on.

6. "Okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time

Pros

Big company, lots of networking

Cons

People need to understand diversity

Advice to Management

More diversity training and awareness activities

7. "Production operator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work . Very good people. It's a career job that come with all of the benefits . You have a chance to get promoted and a chance to make a lot of good money!

Cons

You don't really have a life working here. Very time consuming

8. "Performance Engineer"

Former Employee - Performance Engineer in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Performance Engineer in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GM is a huge company, so there are many chances to meet and network with other engineers. Work was very technical; as an engineer, I enjoyed my day-to-day work since there were lots of problem solving, data analysis, and teamwork. Sometimes things were very fast-paced and other times not very much depending on where your vehicle was in the timeline.

Cons

The culture is old-fashioned. As a woman of color, I did not appreciate some of the comments and treatments I received. I did not want to argue or cause a scene with those individuals after being told that I was too "young", "woman", "sensitive" and "liked to overreact" and that that those qualities were "too woman-like" or that I "looked and acted very similarly" to other woman of color they knew. I tried to think what I did wrong, but could not find anything other than just being myself. I also don't think I was the only one who received these treatments after talking to my peers at GM.

I understand that the CEO is a woman and that some parts of the company are very progressive. I also understand that those individuals are from an era where not many women of color were engineers. However, My empathy was not enough to keep me at the company.

Advice to Management

Cultural transformation, maybe through promoting positivity and diversity. I understand that GM is a for-profit company, but please try to provide more training and team building activities for people to be more positive, flexible, and accept differences. I don't think annual trainings and resource groups are enough.

"Race to the Bottom/Manufacturing"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great; Amazing amount of potential. With actual long-term goals in place, would be an amazing place to work for. Products themselves can be hit-or-miss, but are usually interesting.

Cons

At least in the manufacturing realm, the #1 motivator is fear. Anyone that can't be intimidated is eventually squeezed out to make for a compliant salaried workforce. Primary measurement in effect is Cost-per-unit: which is silly when you consider that the only lever that can be pulled at a plant level to adjust this is labor (hint: Understaff on purpose and enforce 'casual' overtime). I've worked or Co-op'ed in several GM manufacturing plants, and this is the case in pretty much every one.

Rumor was, my current facility was dead-last of all manufacturing facilities in the Workplace-of-Choice survey in 2015. What floored me was that the 'interview' portion (which used an outside firm to gather anonymous feedback) was scheduled during a week where the plant was in shutdown: meaning that there weren't any employees around other than the select few that 'just so happened' to be in working overtime projects. To my knowledge, we have not been given the opportunity to do another plant-specific survey since.

Arbitrary measurements: goal plans and glide-paths generally don't reflect real business conditions. Most of the Level 1/2/3 production measurements are set up on a weekly/monthly cycle which greatly rewards short-term decision making. This is especially frustrating for a maintenance expenditure: there's absolutely no way to amortize a large maintenance cost (i.e., a $30,000 motor) on a monthly budget. [Case in point: A machine was failing, replacement part cost was $15,000, but because the plant would have been 'red' for the monthly maintenance budget, instead of planning the replacement and purchasing the components, it was band-aided and continued to run. When it eventually failed the next month, the damage caused an additional $20,000 of collateral damage, and incurred several shifts of downtime until it could be repaired. There was no effort to acknowledge that the additional cost was due to a failure to act, because by the measurements it was a better outcome]

Systems that are put in place for standardization never seem to be evaluated for efficacy in a closed-loop manner: the end result is a lot of motion that creates the illusion of work. Sad part is, every time there's a 'critical failure' we manage to add yet another required system on top of the 8 that were already there. Why this appears to work: the fear of having to go through another GMS/5-Why/Fishbone/RedX/Root Cause Analysis/Problem Solving Tool/Diagonal Slice/TPM/Six-Sigma/OpEX exercise causes employees to either avoid doing *anything* involving risk, or to hide the mistake and hope no-one finds out (I must point out that Bob Lutz acknowledges and nails this fact very, very hard in one of his recent books).

Advice to Management

I've seen enormous changes in the way corporate organizations (i.e., engineering/sales/marketing) is handling operations. Colleagues in Warren and Milford tell me that the workplace is drastically better now than they can remember. The 2020 events, the corporate leadership, all of the top end happenings are unrecognizable from the GM of 10 years ago.

What I don't see, though, is that attitude and those expectations getting to the manufacturing facilities, at all. But then again, there seems to be a branding crisis where GM wants to be seen as a "tech" company rather than a manufacturer (100% serious: even HR and corporate recruiters are explicitly told not to refer to GM as a manufacturer anymore, but as a tech company "like Apple or Facebook"). If GM is giving up on being a manufacturer, fantastic. Otherwise, get serious about pushing the 'culture change' to the plants.

10. "Integration Engineer"

Current Employee - Integration Engineer in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Integration Engineer in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Flexibility in the Job. Fulfilling job, Great Benefits

Cons

Sometimes there is a lot of red tape to wade through.

Showing 899 of 2,726 reviews