General Motors Reviews | Glassdoor

General Motors CEO Mary Barra
Mary Barra

2,204 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance takes a toll sometimes (in 73 reviews)

• Long hours customers would often become upset if the problem wasn't fixed the first time andbrepairabwerebkimd of slow on technicians part (in 66 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Embracing the new culture, heading in the right direction."

Current Employee - Release and Deployment Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Release and Deployment Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Has all of the different types of IT jobs under one roof. What may take several different companies to obtain the various IT skills and experiences throughout the industry can be done right in house.

Cons

Not a lot of institutional knowledge was documented. Due to years of perform supplier dependencies. Processes and doctrine has consistently changed.

Advice to Management

Globalize more processes. Focus on creating technology and process Centers of Excellence. Create a standard knowledge management repository.

2. "No Brainer For College Hire To Work Here... DO IT!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, I don't think you can get much better as a college hire to work here from what I have seen so far. I was hired out of college and have been here a year and a half so far and I don't have anything to complain about it at all. Compared to my fellow students who worked at consulting firms mostly, it really seems like GM cares way more about people and has more perks.

I work in software dev, but it has been great, some of the perks:

- Raise every 6 months for first 3 years as a new college hire. (this is huge, no one else gets raises like this and they have competitive starting rates as other companies for sure)

- very good health insurance, it's $30 a month, but it's the kind where you don't need a referral to see a specialist. there's a $1500 deductible, but the company gives you a $1500 health savings account every year to use towards it when you do a physical, so basically no deductible, not sure how it would be for families though

- everyone on earth knows GM, huge resume booster. when you tell people you work here, you always hear "ooohhh, cool" and stuff like that. it's a really respectable thing to say you work here.

- 401k matching, up to 8%. they give you 4% right off the bat of your salary every month, then they match up to 4% on top of that. so if i put in 10% into 401k, and they put in 8%, it would be as if i'm saving 18% of salary each month. the 401k vests in 3 years, so you need to stay for 3 years in order for the money to become officially yours once you work there.

- able to rotate, you can rotate jobs every 1 year if you want as a college hire, in a company this big, you can pretty much do any job you want once you are in. i know they are big on training people so i think you can go into any other vertical too if they need people.

- very willing to teach and help you learn more, like sending you to training events and the likes

- bonus every year based on company performance. the bonuses are pretty decent, as a college hire, then they will put money on top of that if company performance is good. it really depends on company performance though, but so far this year has been a record breaking year so we did pretty good on bonuses.

- multiple innovation centers to work at. they have people in austin, tx, chandler, az, warren, mi, detroit, mi and atlanta, ga

- if you have a masters degree... DO IT. you get a higher starting salary then other college hires, and you are locked into the raises every 6 months. once you stay at the company for 3 years, you get promoted into the next level, and that also comes with it's own raise. also, make sure to do an internship or have some kind of experience related to your job before starting, they will start you at a higher salary as well for experience that you've had. my starting salary matched my friends who i went to school with, but they didn't have raises like this.

- if you have a bachelors, you can start working towards your masters degree and they will pay for it right when you start. they give you enough to cover 1 or 2 classes per semester, which is honestly enough because working full time and doing the degree can be really intense, especially in a graduate degree.

- if you move from another state, they will give you money to relocate, which is honestly way more then you need as a single person

- of course, really good experience and really building a strong skillset. i would probably consider working here for a very long time. many people i work with have been working with the company for 10+ years which shows how good it is.

- this is one i didnt think about, but free parking. it seems like many of my friends who don't work here actually have to pay to park to work at their companies. GM has garages that they cover you on which is nice.

- the whole company in general is really big on helping it's people. many automotive folks have worked here for years and years and retire here, so I think the old union focus is still here. as opposed to trying to trim down the bottom line for everyone and only care about boosting profits, i really feel like they try to help people out with their benefits compared to other companies i've been to.

Cons

- honestly, i've had no cons from my experience. i think it really would depend on what team you are on. the management and where you sit make your experience. i've only heard good things from other co workers. but if you don't like your team, you do have the option of moving around as i said before.

Advice to Management

thanks!!!!

3. "Entry Level Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

General Motors was a great place to go right out of college! I accepted a position as a software developer and ended up working in Computer Aided Engineering applications within the GPD area.Flexible hours, reasonable expectations, and a great place to learn.

Cons

Slow moving and old feeling! Not a bad thing, but its also not a place filled with passion or excitement! This is both a pro and a con depending on the person I suppose.

Advice to Management

From my little window into the company, everything was pretty great! Keep hiring college students!

5. "Great experience with General Motors"

Pros

Great learning opportunities, new challenges everyday.

Cons

I have no cons to share

6. "Would recommend"

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros

Good pay, workplace of choice, management seems solid.

Cons

Jobs can be slow sometimes, lots of red tape

Advice to Management

Get rid of the red tape

7. "Good Employer"

I worked at General Motors full-time

Pros

High pressure, but very pro team environment

Cons

distance from plant to home & pay is generally lower than other companies as large!

Advice to Management

Quality of life for supervisors

8. "Great Great Great"

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros

Great company ;lots of room for advancement great educational benefits. You need to take responsibility for your own growth

Cons

Big company easy to get lost in the maze. Some managers need to adopt a better approach to growing the team

Advice to Management

Invest in more talent. DOnt think so much about being ruthless, get ruthless with the competition.

9. "Senior Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity as many managers are retiring

Cons

Requires 3 - 5 years to advance to 8th level if not part of Track Program or Manager High Potential List

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what is necessary to ensure long term profitability

10. "Great"

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership, awesome initiatives, interesting work.

Cons

Large company so there is some red tape to cut through on every task.

11. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros

Good Benefits, Interesting work, large organization

Cons

Hard to standout in the crowd.

Advice to Management

Better Work life balance.

Showing 2,204 of 2,432 reviews