General Motors Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 9, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Great if you're desperate."

Former Employee - General Assembly in Lordstown, OH
    Former Employee - General Assembly in Lordstown, OH

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Money, and nothing else I can think of. Most people drive 30-70min to get there because inflated home values nearby.

Cons

Long hours, Random overtime. You'll be working 3-11 for the next 10 years. Laid off for 2 of those years at the least. Good luck moving up in the company. The UAW is as clueless as management.

Advice to Management

Consider promotions from the ground up. No one wants to move to Detroit for 3 years of training by OWM.

"Be very careful!"

Current Employee - Account Development Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Account Development Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and relocation packages. Lots of wonderful people.

Cons

Deceitful recruiting. Promising pay structure that does not exist. Be very careful of the "Account Development Manager" positions. Almost no opportunity to earn money beyond the base. Also, have people in areas with no support, increasing quotas and then place on probation and then terminate. Upon termination you will be required to pay back any relocation money within 30 days. This can easily be 10's of thousands of dollars. My advice is to look very close before you leap.

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to support field staff and stand up to Senior Management in regards to reasonable expectations and quotas.

3. "Not What I Thought It Would Be!"

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros

You get good Corporate experience.

Cons

You will get alot of micromanagement.

"I have no words. Horrible."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Roswell, GA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Roswell, GA

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not that I can think of

Cons

Horrible experience. GM got rid of this program that allowed you to rent any GM car for free for a week. Not only that, my boss completely bullied and harassed me. He got angry very quickly and has no sympathy for other people. He's able to manipulate higher management so even if I complained about him they'd only believe him. HR is a joke. They won't help in cases of discrimination. I learned nothing about the software development life cycle. He just threw random work at me and I felt as though my skills were stagnating. GM IT doesn't hire a lot of computer science or computer engineering prior either. They're giving software development jobs to psychology and sociology majors. WHAT A JOKE! Steer clear from them. Pay is also very below average for a software developer. They don't treat you well, especially if you're a new college grad. You're better off at accompany that actually cares and pays its employees more.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people with non tech backgrounds. Shows that the quality of your developers suck. And take cases of discrimination seriously before a lawsuit comes knocking on your door.

5. "District Sales Manager-lack of leadership and horrible management"

I worked at General Motors full-time

Pros

Employee benefits and company car.

Cons

Lack of leadership especially in the Retail side of business.
    Expectations of self sacrifice to work over 60 hours a week and no work life balance.
    Pay does not equate to the extensive work, weekend and holiday hours demanded by new management.
    Poor leadership with no support nor training.

Advice to Management

Executive leadership should value their employees and question why the churn and burn mentality of new senior management is in place. Historically a great place to for but in recent times of 3 year span, not optimal nor a even a decent place to work for.

6. "GM doesn't want older workers. Look around you won't see a lot of employees over 60."

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. 401k match good.

Cons

Poor IT management. Getting rid of older employees using PIPs and replacing them with younger employees

Advice to Management

Get rid of the poor managers from old GM

7. "E-commerce"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flint, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time

Pros

Learned new things quickly and on your own.

Cons

They don't want headcount, so prefer to use contractors instead.

Advice to Management

Don't lie!

8. "Weak management"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Toledo, OH

I worked at General Motors full-time

Pros

Money, ot, some good people

Cons

Mgt morons, can run a Dept but heads them up

Advice to Management

Don't let he run your business, value add suffers and car buying public pays price, dearly

9. "Software Development Manager"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros

- Lots of good mix of talent to work with on a daily basis.
    - Company on a growth trajectory.

Cons

- Organizational churn prevents any projects from completing successfully or with high quality
    - Management more concerned about managing up than caring about their employees or projects at every level
    - No bottom up review process. Managers do what they like to their teams till their boss moves them.
    - Old school management that values time spent in office more than productivity

Advice to Management

- Focus on ownership of apps to improve quality.
    - Career development and growth is non existent. Change it or you cant retain any good talent.
    - Train people managers how to manage a team.
    - Create permanent people managers.

"Ok - but not as advertised"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Work Life Balance
    High Pay & Compensation
    Company Prestige - GM is in an excellent position for the autonomous future
    The ability to work on some really cool projects where you feel like you can have a major impact

Cons

Lack of Career Development Resources
    Silos
    Culture in IT - Some groups can be very combative...
    Detroit IT is seen as less valuable than IT staff in Austin
    People not performing
    How many managers and project delivery leads do we need for a single project?
    Project Managers should have training in project management - ideally a certification - I've been on horrid projects that are nothing but putting out fires due in large part to misallocation of resources and ineffectively managing stakeholders
    Titles are wonky - people get really weird about it, and it's hard to explain until you've been around a "data scientist" who struggles to implement/explain regression or a "solution architect" who doesn't understand client -> server

Advice to Management

Attack the culture of coasting by that seems to be present in many areas of IT.

Encourage best practices among employees by supporting ongoing training and development.

Recognize employees who excel. I love the nomination process where we can help recognize those who excel. It made my year to receive that from a client. I feel like we need to emphasize those kinds of initiatives and help build up a culture of pro-activity.

For the love of all that is holy, stop evaluating IT projects by ADBB. It is a voodoo process to prioritize projects with - as far as I am aware - no standard calculation that is easily verified. Adopt a standard calculation and actually evaluate projects after they are deployed. I could claim to have saved the company billions, but without formal evaluation, I would call baloney. Alternatively, consider other ways to evaluate projects in the pipeline.

IT should not be seen as separate from the business. If we are now supposed to be 80% innovation, then we need to be doing more to support innovation that reduces costs or increases revenue.

Also, I'm sorry, but sending out a spreadsheet with job titles and descriptions for higher grade positions does not constitute career counseling - I could have found that out from indeed.com... Employees definitely need to own their careers, but why do employees need to leave GM to be hired back in at a higher grade or in a position of more responsibility?

Rein in your recruiters. During my search process that led me to GM, I received printed material and was assured by several people I interacted with that I would joining a development program with rotational assignments, active senior management engagement, and ongoing training opportunities. FYI Everyone, there is no IT development program. It is a college new hire program with high compensation but no formal opportunities like the other GM development programs. If you say you have a formal rotational process and support ongoing development, then you need to follow through and do that.

Showing 177 of 2,998 reviews