General Motors Reviews | Glassdoor

General Motors CEO Mary Barra
Mary Barra

2,302 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • lack of career opportunities, no work/life balance (in 77 reviews)

• Long hours customers would often become upset if the problem wasn't fixed the first time andbrepairabwerebkimd of slow on technicians part (in 67 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Embracing the new culture, heading in the right direction."

Current Employee - Release and Deployment Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Release and Deployment Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Has all of the different types of IT jobs under one roof. What may take several different companies to obtain the various IT skills and experiences throughout the industry can be done right in house.

Cons

Not a lot of institutional knowledge was documented. Due to years of perform supplier dependencies. Processes and doctrine has consistently changed.

Advice to Management

Globalize more processes. Focus on creating technology and process Centers of Excellence. Create a standard knowledge management repository.

"GM, a dissapointing company"

Former Employee - Senior Environmental Engineer in Wentzville, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Environmental Engineer in Wentzville, MO

Pros

It would be better than being unemployed.

Cons

Lots of politics, red tape, arrogant upper management. If you don't know the right people, you will never go anywhere.

Advice to Management

None they would accept. They think they know more than everyone else anyway.

"same job half the pay"

Current Employee - Assembly Worker
    Current Employee - Assembly Worker

Pros

none for new workers all new hires are entry level starting at 14 per hour

Cons

I was hired as a temp in Febuary 2007 i was making 22 dollars per hour.It was less then the traditional workers were
    making but not by much it was fine.when the new contract came about we were told that if it passed 500 temps would be hired at our plant and those that was not hired would be if we were still there after jan 2 08,well we were brought back January 2 08 but was not hired and was told instead of making us full time traditional employees they would pay us for x mas vacation and allow us to come back after new year but as temps still.
    Fast forward to June 08 after being laid off for 6 months was called back again as temps but this time got hired as perm. however it was at the two-tier wage of 14 per hour which is supposed to be for non-core jobs such as maintenance or paint mixing and the such something that does' nt involve building the vehicles but i have been back on the same job i was before working side by side with my traditional co workers doing the same job as me for 30 per hour.

Advice to Management

get rid of two-tier wages

"When Is GM Going To Wake Up?"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Warren, MI

Pros

The company has decent pay. It is a well known company so it looks good on your resume. Your family and friends may be impressed. If you're getting a new car, you can use employee discount or an internal program called "tagging" an executive's car and get a really good deal. You get Christmas through New Years off paid outside of your regular paid vacation days. You can also buy up to one week of vacation time to add to your accrued time each year.

Cons

The company is going down the toilet. Management is too busy trying to solve short term issues while ignoring the elephant in the room. They take any new suggestions they hear and present them as their own. They treat employees like doormats. No respect for your opinions or your time. Unproductive meetings go on all day everyday. Work Life balance sucks. You're expected to work 60 hours per week, through your lunch, on the weekends, and be on call on vacation too. Your manager must ok it if you want to leave your department and get experience in another. They usually will not approve that. There is no way to control the progress of your career. Usually if you get hired in a department, it will take nothing short of an executive director to step on heads to get you out, especially if you are a minority. HR is not your friend. As far as salaried workers, we don't have any representation when we are lied to or mistreated. If you complain, expect mangement to recruit several levels of mgmt, take you into a conference room and beat up/bully you into accepting what they want you to accept. It's a barbaric work environment, with very low employee morale. Everyone walks around scared, throwing out VP names that say they want results in 10 minutes. I hear college recruits are not even considering working for this company. Smart move. Good thing Glass Door is here so the truth can be told.

Advice to Management

First of all, I have gotten very good performance reviews for every year I've worked at GM. I've gotten good raises too. I have given this company everything that I have, but I am upset about how the company is ran by senior/middle management, so here goes.....You don't listen to reason in enough time, which is why our company is full of gas guzzlers. The new generation have new better ideas to help the company make money and save money and you do nothing but shut us down whenever we speak, because it will affect your cushy lifestyles. The company operates like it is still the 1950s. Bureaucracy and politics are so thick, we can't get anything positive done in a timely manner. It's no wonder Toyota is kicking our butts. Your old boys' club is destroying the company. You should've listened to Kirk Kevorkian. You won't be #1 for long. Good luck on your savior car -- EFlex Chevy Volt. If it doesn't happen how you want it. You will have to hang it up. GM will never be the company it once was. It is sad that you guys are profiting at the expense of the company. Execs (some with no direct reports) making $300K to $14 million per year while the company is losing $15 billion per quarter is just ridiculous. Good Luck.

"Unless you are starving, look elsewhere."

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor/Backup Controls Engineer in Tonawanda, NY

Pros

The General typically starts you out at a higher salary, looks good on a resume and you can learn a lot if you ask a lot of questions.

Cons

General Motors expects you to be available 24/7. Salary employees can be walking out the door and they will get stopped and told to work OT, no matter what. A fellow engineer was fired for going on his honeymoon, after he had a signed vacation slip from his boss a year earlier. I left General Motors after five years and realized I forgot how nice life can be.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with reality. You are losing your best asset (young ambitious engineers) because you expect them to give their life to the company.

"stay away from this place unless you have a good line of bull"

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

Pros

I am to old to change now but if I knew everything I do now and was starting over no way in hell would I work here or any GM plant

Cons

its not about building trucks , its about a numbers game and blame someone else , every steep up the ladder the lies get bigger so the bosses look good

Advice to Management

quite playing games with peoples minds and run the place like it should be run

"Top Heavy Company! To many chiefs screw everything up!"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Kansas City, MO

Pros

good pay and thats it better be able to shovel the sh it and put up with the constant brow beatings!

Cons

constant harassment about how you do your job and never treated with respect by management
    they talk down to the employees like little children and quick to punish in you make one mistake out of many cars built.
    Never praise the employees for a job well done
    Don't know where they found the plant manager but told employees that if you don't like what i tell you to do K-Mart was hiring

Advice to Management

Company is way to top heavy why do we need so many presidents and vice presidents can't the managers handle the work and do away with the so called title and hundreds of presidents and vice presidents come on get real the only reason for the title is for a bigger salary and bonuses no wonder Gm is losing money. Gotta pay the presidents
    Should only be one president and one CEO

"Don't consider working for this company...ever!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

Pros

Health Benefits are comparable to middle of the road companies, but there is a clause stating that any or all benefits can be rescinded at any time for any reason at the employers discretion. The pay is fairly benchmarked with other large companies. 401 K match is competitive during good times.

Cons

It is a truely depressing environment. The decades of job cutting in this company has created an environment where each and every employee that remains to have to do the work of 3 or more people in every position no matter what department you work in. This is compounded by bureacratic outdated work methods that you must follow or you will be likely put in a performance improvement program that represents the last step before being walked out the door. If you go to work here, you better like the position you hire into because employees are repeatedly blocked from moving to other positions within the company (including promotional opportunities) that are posted on GM's own website. Additionally, they frequently arm-twist salaried employees to work Saturdays/Sundays for free in many departments. 401 K match is frequently reduced as a cost savings measure. It is obvious from their recent highly publicized near bankruptcy they will never recover so why would you want to work for a company that is in that position? I personally witnessed many employees leave this company to go work for "normal companies" and are now very happy. Nobody that leaves ever misses GM...trust me I know of many examples. Stay away from this company at all costs. Garbage picking out of a trash can is more enjoyable than working for them.

Advice to Management

Leave before the Titanic sinks...Truely the expression that the grass is greener on the other side applies here!

"GM - A Sinking Ship!"

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer

Pros

None, except for the pay check and benefits, and really, the benefits and pay are average for a major corporation.

Cons

GM used to be a company that was a very good place to work at. Unfortunately because of incompetent management appointments and decisions, they have run this company into the ground. GM is big on culture and internal politics. They love people that go along with status quo. Open your mouth and disagree with the bosses and you will be labeled Not A Team Player!

Advice to Management

Car Sales should be the number one priority. Here's a simply concept for them, the consumer wants a quality product at a reasonable price that doesn't break down. People work hard for their money and want to get the most out of it. Right now, they view GM products as not meeting this requirement.

"life at GM"

Current Employee - Maintenance General Supervisor
    Current Employee - Maintenance General Supervisor

Pros

good pay, good vacation policy, good benifit package

Cons

no regaurds to family life, uppermanagement poor performance, not willing to listen to ideas, smothered with paperwork

Advice to Management

listen to your employees who are doing the job, quit smoothing them with meetings and paperwork,

Showing 2,302 of 2,546 reviews