General Motors Reviews | Glassdoor

2,518 reviews

Full-timePart-time

2,518 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work-life balance is amazing (in 207 reviews)

• Regardless of what anyone says, the pay and benefits are great for salaried individuals (take it from someone who just relocated to the east coast) (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • What I will say to this is that work-life balance is what you make of it (in 83 reviews)

• long hours and can sometimes be stressful (in 73 reviews)

1. "Incredible Company with Long-term Growth Potential"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at General Motors for almost two years now, and I have enjoyed every second of it! I started at GM straight out of college, and got offered a salary that was significantly more generous than other companies that I interviewed at. The corporate culture is incredible, and I was very impressed by their diversity initiatives and philanthropic ventures. This, in conjunction with the fact that General Motors has wisely expanded their business reach to become a "mobility company", made the decision to work here a no-brainer. The medical benefits are excellent, and I have been leveraging their generous tuition assistance to obtain my MBA. The atomsphere is lively and inclusive, and I have been very impressed by how engaged and approachable the Executive Leadership team is. I also feel as though there is potential for long-term growth opportunities, as there are constantly opportunities for professional development and internal movement.

Cons

Parking at the RenCen isn't ideal; however that is quite marginal (plus it's free and in a secure structure, so I guess I can't really complain).

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on employee development as a retention tool. Additionally, making a conscious effort to break down silos between functions would allow employees to have a more holistic view of company operations.

2. "Loved it!"

Former Employee - Shuttle Driver in Greeley, CO
    Former Employee - Shuttle Driver in Greeley, CO

I worked at General Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and environment are great for the most part, there is always a couple of individuals that live for drama they create, but there is not much of that at General motors.

Cons

The pay is not as expected, I mean it's a large Corp. and lack of communication really causes more issues than it should.

Advice to Management

Communicate better

3. "IT Manager"

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros

Good work culture, work life balance.

Cons

bureaucracy , takes time to get projects done

Advice to Management

innovation

4. "Several Positions held"

Former Employee - Design Release Engineer in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Design Release Engineer in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Regardless of what anyone says, the pay and benefits are great for salaried individuals (take it from someone who just relocated to the east coast). Can you make more elsewhere? Maybe (at a supplier or other in the area). But I can tell you no one is going hungry working here full-time. I think the density of the automotive industry in the Michigan area will support this for the foreseeable future.

Great time off. Also have made a recent push towards workplace of choice which I think will better attract young talent. Flex time was great.

For a very large company, I think they do a good job of promoting people that deserve it. There are always some politics involved and someone will always be in a position that they don't really deserve, or get paid more than you. With that being said, I never felt like the work I was doing wasn't being appreciated.

Multiple opportunities for young engineers to move around the company and get a vast amount of experience.

Cons

People will complain about too much work and not enough people. What I will say to this is that work-life balance is what you make of it. I came in at 7 and there were multiple days a week I might be there till 6. Sometime this is what needs to be done to get the job done. At the same time, I joined a golf league in the summer that started at 3:30 every Monday. I put a (unofficial) meeting notice in my calendar I left the office no later than 3pm on Monday's for 16 straight weeks. This is what I mean about work-life balance being what you make of it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

5. "Review"

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros

Great work environment, and benefits,

Cons

The biggest cons are layoffs, and having to start off as a temp for almost 3 years.

6. "Mary Barra is doing great things. Get team is focused on accountability, something GM had been lacking."

Current Employee - Material Planner in Parma, OH
    Current Employee - Material Planner in Parma, OH

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to take on roles cross functionally. Great opportunity to gain experience and develop.

Cons

Lack of professionalism within the plants. The further you are from hq, the worse it gets.

7. "Communications"

I worked at General Motors full-time

Pros

Great leadership and brand.

Cons

Big company with a lot of red tape.

8. "Good place to start"

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros

Salary employees at GM are nice for the most part. They help you get acclimated and guide you to be successful.

Cons

Work hours in manufacturing plants are really long. Expected to work more than 9 hours every day.

9. "Account Development manager"

I worked at General Motors full-time

Pros

Pay is good (base+ monthly bonuses)

Cons

Culture needs improvement, goals need to be more attainable, need better training

10. "Auditor"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, great people work together.

Cons

Too political, slow to change

Showing 2,518 of 2,783 reviews