General Networks Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Todd Withers

1. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Pros

- Opportunity for growth
    - Management has open door policy
    - Flexible
    - Awesome team atmosphere
    - Casual setting

Cons

- parking spaces are limited

2. "Wonderful long term career opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at General Networks Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've recently achieved my 10 year anniversary at General Networks as a consultant and manager. Reflecting back on those 10 years, it has been full of opportunity - to learn, to increase my responsibility level and compensation, and to build lasting relationships with my management, staff and clients. I've been able to build a successful career I'm really proud of by taking advantage of these opportunities.

During that time I've also grown my family. Working as a consultant for General Networks has given me the flexibility to have a successful work / life balance without compromising my career goals.

Cons

General Networks is a company best suited to self-motivated individuals. While there is a lot of opportunity to learn new technical and practical skills and take on a variety of role on projects, management is focused more on delivering a good product to the client than hand-holding employees and there isn't a lot of day-to-day structure.

I have to be clear about my goals and boundaries on my time. Sometimes there's more work than we have resources for or a client emergency and it's easy to start working too many hours. The compensation is good but it can get stressful.

The variety of compensation plans and methods can get complicated and make it hard to compare total compensation to a more traditional salaried position. The more time and effort you put in the more money you make but it's not a flat hourly rate that's easy to evaluate or project future earnings.

"Working Condition"

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

You do get access to some interesting clients such as Disney and Warner

Cons

too many to count!
    1) No clear salary - it is almost like the managers were working for a year for free to become a manger
    2) No training (or at least proper and official one) in place most of the time they expect you to stay late and one other employees will give a half cooked over view
    3) No proper vacation and sick leave
    4) No paid parking (even when they send you to the client's site)
    5) Bad CEO, CTO and very monotonic environment
    6) Poor benefits, you can see that from the type of cars CEO down to consultants can afford to drive
    7) poor medical package - no dental - no vision - no proper coverage (group policy simply wont pay for anything I have a secondary insurance now paid 100% by myself)

Advice to Management

1) Clear the path to growth
    2) Give more and you don't have to take, take and take
    3) once a while take us to a good restaurant - we are tired of cheap Mexican food
    4) there is something called Christmas gift and normally is given by the company to employees not vice versa !
    5) 401K - vesting for 7 years !!! seriously!!! no wonder no body is enrolling
    ah ... my fingers hurt - honestly we are all looking to leave GN and look for better companies

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Glendale, CA

I have been working at General Networks Corporation full-time

Pros

Great culture:
    - Results focused. Tremendous freedom to get those results. Compensation grows with your value. No ceilings.
    - Very clear standard of ethics. If it's unfair, if it's bad for the client, if it violates our contract or the law, don't do it.
    - Growth environment with new challenges all the time. We're in IT. There's always real or potential disruption from technologies or competitors. Client expectations are evolving. We're growing so we have to manage the growth. We're always expanding our skill sets, solution offerings, practices, capabilities.
    - Politics has little or no value. Length of tenure generally means you have a higher trust quotient, but decisions are made on the merits of the issues.

Cons

- Uneven growth in management skills. Most people have learned their management skills on the job. Company focuses on building its employees. Rarely hires out (except for accounting/admin roles.), Sometimes we don't get the kind of experienced management we need for a position.
    - Not very competitive on some benefits, like personal vacation days, game rooms, popcorn, time off whenever you want it, parties, social networking. Health care not as good as in big companies.
    - Not as much communication between groups as we need. Don't find out what's happening with others until company meetings, company picnics, etc.
    - Long hours. There are a few people who are super effective working 8:30 - 5, but most of us work longer hours. Sometimes we're completely slammed.

Advice to Management

- Provide training/education opportunities to develop mid-level and senior management skills.
    - Hire more people.
    - Expand markets

6. "usury and high-turnover"

Former Employee - Senior Support Consultant in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Support Consultant in Burbank, CA

I worked at General Networks Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is always a variety of tasks to be done which goes a long way to keep things interesting and if you can get to work on a project then your pay scale can significantly increase quickly. Also, raises are tied to billable hours such that working overtime contributes to pay raises.

Cons

The company environment is such that you have to compete with the other employees for management's favor to get better tasks which puts you at odds with the same people you have to depend on to get those tasks done.

7. "Employment"

Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at General Networks Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

almost every thing else! salary is too low and played with all the time so you can not plan for your life
    2-3 managers managing you at the time- some with very little real management expertise
    no professional vision - just being opportunistic struggling to define itself
    Bad bosses - keeping you learn at your own time ! then ask you to work for free after 5 pm
    limited benefits and what is there is not competitive to market - most of my colleagues left in 3-6 months it is a great company to keep busy while you are looking for a better job

Cons

Have direction ! it is not employees fault that you can not get business ! then make them pay because they are not billable
    Training is an investment on you

Advice to Management

invest in your employees

8. "Great learning experience"

Current Employee - SharePoint Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - SharePoint Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at General Networks Corporation full-time

Pros

- Challenging projects
    - Great people who are leading projects
    - You are on your own. Fits well for people who does things on their own
    - Fits well budding techies and entrepreneurs. Lot's of leaders to look up and learn
    - Gets to manage lot of projects at the same time. Helps to manage time and productive. On the other hand, make more.
    - Great SharePoint development and support teams.
    - No much travel

Cons

- Complicated and fluctuating salary structure
    - Work assignments shows steady rise and dip.
    - Sometimes hits hard on work life balance
    - No well defined role. Keep shifting gears and wear lot of hats at the same time which is an advantage in my way

Advice to Management

No advice

"Specialized,"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Pros

Great opportunities to learn and work on a variety of development and application platforms, have big and complex deployments, lots of hands-on training, great team players, good performance compensation, have long-term relationships with customers so there's good relatoins with clients, but then you tend to get dedicated to customers.

Cons

Benefits are very basic, absense of formal training programs (mostly hands-on and mentoring), low base salaries (decent bonus packages), limited to MS SharePoint and Open Text vendors for content management, high expectations for technical performance but you have be highly motivated to succeed at this company.

Advice to Management

Company needs to grow faster

10. "Great place for hard workers"

I have been working at General Networks Corporation full-time

Pros

Hard work really pays off at this company both financially and career-wise. There is a really great family type culture here that makes you feel good about coming in to work. The work is interesting and the others you work with are very knowledgable.

Cons

It's not for everyone. The pay plan is complex and pay can fluctuate based on how busy you are. Anyone who's looking to coast at a job should look elsewhere.

"outrageously expensive healthcare insurance"

I worked at General Networks Corporation full-time

Pros

A job nothing good about it

Cons

Outrageously expensive healthcare offered it was triple the cost of my previous employer with less coverage.

Advice to Management

Lowe health insurance costs