General Networks Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Todd Withers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent environment"

I have been working at General Networks Corporation full-time

Pros

For fresh blood, excellent to grow in multiple directions

Cons

Sales comes from main partners

2. "Sales - Account Manager"

Current Employee - Vice President Sals in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Sals in Glendale, CA

I have been working at General Networks Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at General Networks for over 20 years. The founders established a corporate culture that has I really enjoy. Sales professionals at GNC work in an entrepreneurial environment, with unlimited earning potential. We have a strong team of engineers to deliver on what we sell. As an ESOP company, myself and my co-workers are all owners in the business.

Cons

Our medical benefits package could be improved.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on making opportunities for our younger employees.

"outrageously expensive healthcare insurance"

I worked at General Networks Corporation full-time

Pros

A job nothing good about it

Cons

Outrageously expensive healthcare offered it was triple the cost of my previous employer with less coverage.

Advice to Management

Lowe health insurance costs

4. "Great place for hard workers"

I have been working at General Networks Corporation full-time

Pros

Hard work really pays off at this company both financially and career-wise. There is a really great family type culture here that makes you feel good about coming in to work. The work is interesting and the others you work with are very knowledgable.

Cons

It's not for everyone. The pay plan is complex and pay can fluctuate based on how busy you are. Anyone who's looking to coast at a job should look elsewhere.

5. "Good company for young self-starters"

I have been working at General Networks Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is truth in all of the other reviews, both positive and negative, but I think it would be good to point out some of the negative misconceptions I saw:
    -Parking is scarce at the main office, but (maybe most) employees do not work at the main office. Some work from home, some work on site at the client's offices, and some roam from client to client.
    -One reviewer said that there is "No proper vacation and sick leave." I and the other employees I have talked to get 2 weeks vacation and 1 week sick leave per year.
    -That same reviewer said: "Poor benefits, you can see that from the type of cars CEO down to consultants can afford to drive." I have seen management driving pretty mediocre cars, but I'm pretty sure that they are making a lot of money. Computer geeks often don't feel the need to drive flashy cars, so I don't think that's a very good metric for their wealth (and especially not for their "Benefits").
    -The same reviewer said: "401K - vesting for 7 years." GNC has a 401k plan with 2% matching and it is fully vested from the get-go. They may have been thinking of the Employee stock ownership program, which does take 7 years to vest. (Owning stock in one company is not a good retirement plan, so if you want to have a retirement fund you should make 401k contributions.)

Cons

The pay structure seems straightforward at first, but as you move up the pay scale it becomes extremely complicated and mysterious. That really points to the likelihood that management wants it to be complicated and mysterious in order to pay you as little as possible. Of course, every employer wants to pay you as little as possible, but this particular tactic is unique and it does not make the company look good.

Also, if you are not a self starter, and if you are not ready to put in a lot of effort to establish yourself in the first 6-12 months, then do not work here. I have seen other employees wash out because they were not a good fit with the self-starter, sink-or-swim mentality at this company. If you start working here and you are not learning a lot from the person who is training you in the first month or so, then you should tell your manager because the 1-on-1 training system they use for new employees can fall short if the trainer isn't heavily engaged.

Advice to Management

I have to give advice to management? This company is doing a lot of different things and I can't even imagine any advice they need from me... except the compensation system. I know they read these reviews, and I'm not the only one who has said negative things about the complex compensation plan. I bet the company would retain more employees if they made it more transparent. (Honestly, the employee can find the rate billed to the client for a year of their work and subtract their total compensation including estimated benefits. For me, the company is getting roughly 50-60% of the return on my work. Now, I think others in the company deserve compensation for the admin/sales work that supports my efforts. But if I can figure out that simple number, then what are you trying to hide with all the other stuff?)

6. "Great Company!"

I have been working at General Networks Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

No office politics, open door policy, great people! It is like a family atmosphere and I enjoy coming to work everyday.

Cons

I don't really have anything bad to say about the company. Maybe if they could offer some added benefits, such as life insurance or Aflac.

7. "Current Employee"

I have been working at General Networks Corporation full-time

Pros

~I wear multiple hats. I feel challenged daily and absolutely love it.
    ~Not an environment where you are micro managed.
    ~Employees who work here have lots of passion for the company.
    ~Management has an open door policy
    ~Love where the office is located. Montrose has lots of place to eat and lots of charm.
    ~Small company feel

Cons

~Limited parking
    ~More HR activities and Marketing activities are needed.
    ~More sick/personal time since most employees are hourly.

Advice to Management

None

8. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Pros

- Opportunity for growth
    - Management has open door policy
    - Flexible
    - Awesome team atmosphere
    - Casual setting

Cons

- parking spaces are limited

9. "Wonderful long term career opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Pros

I've recently achieved my 10 year anniversary at General Networks as a consultant and manager. Reflecting back on those 10 years, it has been full of opportunity - to learn, to increase my responsibility level and compensation, and to build lasting relationships with my management, staff and clients. I've been able to build a successful career I'm really proud of by taking advantage of these opportunities.

During that time I've also grown my family. Working as a consultant for General Networks has given me the flexibility to have a successful work / life balance without compromising my career goals.

Cons

General Networks is a company best suited to self-motivated individuals. While there is a lot of opportunity to learn new technical and practical skills and take on a variety of role on projects, management is focused more on delivering a good product to the client than hand-holding employees and there isn't a lot of day-to-day structure.

I have to be clear about my goals and boundaries on my time. Sometimes there's more work than we have resources for or a client emergency and it's easy to start working too many hours. The compensation is good but it can get stressful.

The variety of compensation plans and methods can get complicated and make it hard to compare total compensation to a more traditional salaried position. The more time and effort you put in the more money you make but it's not a flat hourly rate that's easy to evaluate or project future earnings.

"Working Condition"

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

You do get access to some interesting clients such as Disney and Warner

Cons

too many to count!
    1) No clear salary - it is almost like the managers were working for a year for free to become a manger
    2) No training (or at least proper and official one) in place most of the time they expect you to stay late and one other employees will give a half cooked over view
    3) No proper vacation and sick leave
    4) No paid parking (even when they send you to the client's site)
    5) Bad CEO, CTO and very monotonic environment
    6) Poor benefits, you can see that from the type of cars CEO down to consultants can afford to drive
    7) poor medical package - no dental - no vision - no proper coverage (group policy simply wont pay for anything I have a secondary insurance now paid 100% by myself)

Advice to Management

1) Clear the path to growth
    2) Give more and you don't have to take, take and take
    3) once a while take us to a good restaurant - we are tired of cheap Mexican food
    4) there is something called Christmas gift and normally is given by the company to employees not vice versa !
    5) 401K - vesting for 7 years !!! seriously!!! no wonder no body is enrolling
    ah ... my fingers hurt - honestly we are all looking to leave GN and look for better companies