General RV Reviews | Glassdoor

Rob Baidas

1. "Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in White Lake, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in White Lake, MI

I worked at General RV full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get what you put in, General can take you far, they took me in and guided thru my career. They sent me around the world from mexico to Hawaii. They expect a lot from you but give a lot in return. They push you because they do want you to succeed, your success is their success. From upper management to lower management they all care. My personal life got very hectic so i had to leave unfortunately.

Cons

Sales are sales, yes you have to work the hours to be successful but if sales were easy everyone would do it. The only bad part is I burned my bridges and they wont let me come back... jerks, im kidding, if I had the opportunity i would go back.

Advice to Management

Stay awesome, remember everyone has family's that matter. Keep doing what your doing because the numbers don't lie. Don't ever forget an employee that truly cares for you well always work harder for you. Much love General RV.

2. "Okay time I guess. Not bad"

Pros

Cool place to work. Fun times

Cons

Bad times had. Bad times for sure

Advice to Management

Stay cool. 🌞

3. "The single worst company I have ever worked for or done business with."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birch Run, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birch Run, MI

I worked at General RV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Store level management was OK. Co-workers were alright for the most part. They provide free lunches sometimes.

Cons

First, they'll lie to you. They'll lie about what you're going to make, then lie to you about what they told you. Second, they cheat you. No reports, no way to track, no nothing. As a service writer, say you write 50 hours in a week, you can, and will, get your check and only be paid for 20-25, due to "charge backs", which are all absolutely unexplained. As a technician, you work 40 hours, you might flag 30. You'll get your check, you got paid for 5. Not a once in awhile thing, each and every week, over and over. The industry is broken, RV's are insanely expensive and they are absolute piles of trash from day one. Almost all customers are angry customers, and I mean that quite literally. You'll be screamed at, harassed, and treated like dirt. Then, they'll do giveaway in an attempt to make the customer happy, and guess what? They give away the labor time, and as a writer, you just did all of it for free. Zero accountability. Zero leadership. You'll wait weeks on end for information to help a customer, and end up just doing it yourself. Consider this fair warning: I can flat guarantee you that you WILL regret it of you taking a job in the entirety of the service side of the business. The whole industry is one insane rip off to the customer, thousands in unnecessary charges just to buy, then hundreds in charges for warranty work. Yes, warranty work. Upper level management lie through their teeth, even when blatantly caught in the lie. System is so broken thousands in commissions went unpaid (week of Christmas, too), and it was ignored. I can't say enough, stay away, stay away. I always try to be as honest and positive as I can, but I Truthfully can't say it enough. I resigned due to it all, after the lies just kept sticking.

Advice to Management

Store level? Not your fault. You're doing what you can with what you have.
    Each and every individual in a corporate position?

How do you people look in the mirror in the morning? Advice: close for a few months. Start at the very first building block or your business and rebuild from ground up.

5. "Great Company"

Pros

Culture and benefits are very good

Cons

Working retail hours and sundays

6. "Payroll/HR"

Former Employee - Human Resource/Payroll Director in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resource/Payroll Director in Clearwater, FL

I worked at General RV (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family owned business with family values

Cons

I had to leave employment to relocate.;

7. "salesman"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in South Jordan, UT

I worked at General RV (More than a year)

Pros

Family feeling, free lunch, sometimes a fun atmosphere

Cons

Favoritism, if you aren't in the group or circle you are replaceable. pay structure is very poor, salesman often have to work 2 Jobs to support their family. You are discouraged by management to work two jobs. benefits suck worst in the state.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a fair wage, care about your employees they make your company money.

8. "Lacks leadership"

Former Employee - Management in Mount Clemens, MI
    Former Employee - Management in Mount Clemens, MI

I worked at General RV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Managers that have been there for awhile tell you to do nothing and punch in and you will be ok as long as you tell the corporate folks all is good. Good place for free camping and use of demos.

Cons

The Managers who have been with the company the longest are not happy with the direction the owners are going with company but tell them what they want to hear and you will be ok.This strategy stops the growth of any organization.

Advice to Management

You are only good as your weakest link.

"Look elsewhere"

Pros

I can't think of any pros for this Company

Cons

I worked with the wife of the Service Manager who was my boss as well as her boss. I can't begin to count how many times I heard that she was tired of working with stupid people. Constantly felt pressured was told she didn't have time to train me. I emailed Corporate explained what was going on how I felt threatened about my job and how hostile it was, they didn't even respond back to me on my concerns. I had to leave due to how I was being treated.

Advice to Management

Look and treat people the same, take the time to reach out. Without people that enjoy working for you it will reflect to the customer. You have no Customer Service internal as well as external.

"Manager"

Pros

The store level employees were great to work with.

Cons

Corporate has little to no concern for its store level employees. The admin staff at corporate treat store level employees like 3rd class crap. They think their needs trump any thing else going on and if you don't drop everything and respond to their demands, they lie to your boss about you. The boss takes anything they say as gospel and doesn't give you any opportunity to state any facts. There is little to no training for the administration staff yet you are expected to do your job flawlessly. Upper management acts like any employee not a manager doesn't even exist. Bob Green won't even acknowledge any employee below management when he visits a store. Very unfriendly.

Advice to Management

Human Resources has no humanity to it. That aspect of the company needs training in effective communication and needs to be k knocked off their pedestal and brought down to earth.

General RV Response

Jun 8, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

While this is not a positive review, I appreciate your feedback and service to General RV Center. I'm assuming the nature of this response was fueled by your recent separation from our company ... More

11. "Growing Company with Family Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wixom, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wixom, MI

I have been working at General RV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

General RV is a growing company which allows for advancement and career opportunities for its employees. At the same time they are still family owned and operated which make you feel like "part of the family" as opposed to just a number.

Cons

With fast growth comes unexpected challenges. The good news is that these challenges are addressed quickly and ultimately customer and employee satisfaction are the #1 priority.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!