General RV Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Tim swank"

Former Employee - RV Tech in Orange Park, FL
    Former Employee - RV Tech in Orange Park, FL

I worked at General RV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great co-workers, steady work, good working conditions

Cons

Gets hot in the summer,

Advice to Management

Good job! Keep it up!

2. "Not a great environment, No training or product familiarization, poor organization"

Former Employee - Parts Associate in Mount Clemens, MI
    Former Employee - Parts Associate in Mount Clemens, MI

I worked at General RV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits offered, people are nice enough most of the time, though my opinion is based on a very short period.
    Very busy - lots of customers to interact with and lots of work to do, which makes time fly by.

Full Disclosure: I literally worked ONE day and quit the next. They were looking for a self-starter - I guess I just didn't even wanna start.

Cons

Base+Commission Draw pay scheme only serves to screw over employees - why are non-sales staff commission based? It's really shady - especially that commission is paid out annually.

Bad management techniques - I watched 3 managers literally corner a coworker to "jokingly" lay into her over a simple mistake. What the hell is the matter with these people? Is that your idea of having fun - to make a person feel terrible about something minor!? What I saw was despicable and there's absolutely no reason that one of the THREE managers didn't have the common sense to not handle the situation in that manner. Saying "I'm only joking" has never been an excuse for abhorrent behavior. That was the point that I decided I didn't this wasn't the right environment for me. There are other reasons that I quit (like not being interested in the least about camping and RV's), but that was the biggest - I will never respect any manager that has such poor judgement. Jokes are supposed to make people laugh, not feel lower than dirt.

Also, nobody could definitively tell me how much money i was getting paid - its' not something someone should have to ask AFTER they start working. So that's kinda scary...

Poor organization and low efficiency - On my first day as a Parts Counter Associate, we received a multi-pallet order that was all just mixed with no order whatsoever and no picklist for any box. EVERY other store (including the big box stores) gets their shipments with some sort of order and common sense - their needs to be a balance of what fits and what's supposed to go together. If they actually bothered to organize their shipments before sending them out, they'd save the stores an incredible amount of time.

Next, there's no store map or planogram available. The items on the shelves are grouped together well enough, but they are NOT organized - there are items that are just crammed in and made to fit in places where it just doesn't work or look clean.

Lastly, the DMS/RMS/POS system really is a P.O.S. While easy enough to learn and manage, it's antiquated software that can be temperamental and buggy - I heard "my computer froze up" at least half a dozen times on my first day. It's pathetic and embarrassing having software that doesn't work when your selling expensive parts and taking large deposits. YOU ARE A BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY - FIX IT!

Advice to Management

ALL of your managers need to take courses in management tactics and workplace ethics. Most importantly, they need to know how to communicate and what is and isn't appropriate to say and do to their subordinates.

Also, you need better training programs in place for the computer systems and product knowledge. There's way too much to learn to just pick it up as you go along. At the very least, training materials beyond a store catalog should be provided to new hires.

General RV Response

Jul 2, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I’m sorry to hear that the few hours you spent on our team didn’t meet your expectations. As you alluded to, we have great people and we truly... More

"General RV Ashland"

Current Employee - Delivery Specialist in Ashland, VA
    Current Employee - Delivery Specialist in Ashland, VA

I have been working at General RV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some genuinely wonderful and kind coworkers

Cons

Very poor work/life balance. Anytime I've asked for time off, it's been a struggle. My usual day off in the week is Wednesday, so I thought going to Ash Wednesday Mass would be easy. Things got hairy when there was one more delivery than the people on our team. I arranged with my (very understanding and kind) supervisor to come in that afternoon to walk the unit, but have the morning off for Mass. I thought it was a flexible and effective solution to the problem. However, the day before Ash Wednesday, a manager directly called me out, in front of everyone, in a meeting, simply because I wouldn't be there the whole day, even though it was a perfectly manageable schedule using the agreed upon plan. I was told I needed to be a "team player" and that I was "inflexible" for prioritizing my religion. After, when I told him it was unacceptable and unprofessional to treat me like that, he tried to convince me that I had drawn the negative attention to myself, and he hadn't acted aggressively at all.
    Later, when I asked for Good Friday off, a similar thing happened. I was given permission to take it off as my normal mid week day off. However, the Monday before it, I had a confrontation with the same manager over sexist treatment towards a friend of mine and unfair treatment of the service techs in general, as well as reiterating my refusal to be treated aggressively. Less than an hour later I was called to hr. Nothing was said about the confrontation, but Good Friday was taken away from me and I was told to stay away from my friend. I had to beg to be let off in time for Liturgy.
    My priorities outside of work are treated as unimportant. I am constantly guilted for leaving at quitting time to be able to make it to after work commitments. I was told twice, by two different managers that "you have to arrange your life around work". I had to go to the operations manager to receive time off to drive my boyfriend to the airport for a prolonged trip. Later I heard I had been criticized behind my back for not asking my more direct managers, who had a record of never giving me time off. I called in sick one Saturday, and received the same backhanded treatment. I was disparaged for taking a sick day, as if I had done it on purpose.
    One day, customers where 5 hours late for their walk. At 430, I was told to walk and enormous, 2 hour unit that should have been walked at 11. I said no, and they threatened to fire me.
    I asked for Saturday as my day off to go to dress rehearsal for a choir concert, and was denied.
    Employees are treated as if the most important thing in their life is General RV. The most important things in life are treated as optional and inconvenient to them. The more valuable you make yourself to the company, the less flexibility you have. People regularly have stay past closing time.
    This is not a good place for someone who values time with loved ones or hobbies.

"Do not work for this place"

Former Employee - Tech in Dover, FL
    Former Employee - Tech in Dover, FL

I worked at General RV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no Pros the worst job ever

Cons

They will not pay you for the work you do

General RV Response

Apr 25, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Let us start by saying thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We are sorry to hear you had a less than great experience in your short time with us. The technician position can be one of... More

5. "Sales"

I have been working at General RV full-time

Pros

Some very Nice people work there

Cons

Not so good things

"Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Canton, OH

I worked at General RV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

business is booming in the RV industry

Cons

They are always looking for something better and not loyal

Advice to Management

Give the people you have in a position the equipment and the backing they need to succeed.

"Great Time"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Wayland, MI
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Wayland, MI

I have been working at General RV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like traveling to different shows in the winter and fall with busy summers this is the business managers positions for you.

Cons

Very so from from the end of October-Dec.

Advice to Management

Great corporate support but it does lack at the dealership level because very few of the managers have ever done finance.

"Worst job I've ever had"

I worked at General RV full-time

Pros

There were some very nice people up in the sales department

Cons

I worked in the RV service area. The number of racist and alt-right leaning rv repair workers was deeply troubling. If you are not a smoker and extremely conservitive, dont bother applying. The service department will be very uncomfortable for you.

Advice to Management

Diversify your labor force to reduce turnover. Force people to keep zenophobic and outright racist comments to themselves instead of turning a blind eye.

"KANI"

Former Employee - Sales in Dover, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Dover, FL

I worked at General RV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Third generation ownership is good and tries to do right by the customer.

Cons

Two out of three of the executive management should be replaced. They have lost sight of KANI and have been blinded by their giant ego's.

Advice to Management

Study companies that are successful in competitive markets and apply what you've learned. It's easy to grow your business when there is no competition. Now you have purchased a bad location, no direct access from I 4, and competition. What is your competitive advantage against Lazy Days or Tampa RV.

"Good Pay for Hard Work"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at General RV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent earning potential
    Fair time off during non-peak season
    Well structured organization with adequate resources
    Excellent bonus and yearly goal benchmarks

Cons

Very long hours and weeks
    Expectation of 7 full day work-weeks during peak season
    Less than desirable training for new hires
    Unreasonable expectations from management periodically
    Lack of good transparency from management to their employees

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate your employees personal time and lives and how we are geared as humans. Most employees want to work hard for an honest, transparent and motivating superior/boss/manager. Most employees lose desire to work hard for superiors that are degrading, verbally abusive and unreasonable and that seems to happen more often than it should.