General RV Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Tim swank"

Former Employee - RV Tech in Orange Park, FL
    Former Employee - RV Tech in Orange Park, FL

I worked at General RV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great co-workers, steady work, good working conditions

Cons

Gets hot in the summer,

Advice to Management

Good job! Keep it up!

"Good Pay for Hard Work"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at General RV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent earning potential
    Fair time off during non-peak season
    Well structured organization with adequate resources
    Excellent bonus and yearly goal benchmarks

Cons

Very long hours and weeks
    Expectation of 7 full day work-weeks during peak season
    Less than desirable training for new hires
    Unreasonable expectations from management periodically
    Lack of good transparency from management to their employees

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate your employees personal time and lives and how we are geared as humans. Most employees want to work hard for an honest, transparent and motivating superior/boss/manager. Most employees lose desire to work hard for superiors that are degrading, verbally abusive and unreasonable and that seems to happen more often than it should.

3. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Huntley, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Huntley, IL

I worked at General RV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product to sell with lots of markup

Cons

Low percentage splits / seasonal

4. "Great people. We'll managed."

I have been working at General RV full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good leadership. Business is well ran. Had working employees are treated well.

Cons

Can be long hours in the summer.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do!

"Management has no morals."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wixom, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wixom, MI

I have been working at General RV full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will work with some people that become your family.. You will come to the realize that there is much better than General RV as you see your colleagues leave and are much happier. They do give you paid vacations and insurance.

Cons

Sexual harrasment and just general harassment is looked over. If you say something, you are looked at as the problem. Management doesn't care about safety.. Honesty is not a value here, especially with management in service department. They promote based on sexual inuidos, not on worth ethic. Little to no raises.

Advice to Management

Look at your reviews here and @ pissed consumer. Quit denying there's a problem. Every long term tech I know complains about leaving every day practically. Pay people what they are worth. Your detailers get paid the same starting wages as McDonald's. I've seen so many good, dedicated workers leave because you don't give your employees what they deserve. More and more of your long term employees are leaving. Is that not an eye opener?. Let me just say also in all the years I've worked at General RV I have never submitted or have ever seen a employee satisfaction survey. So I call bull on that 73 percent. You guys are so backwards.. The most lazy, unreliable, untrustworthy people are promoted to desk positions because they can't hack it in their own positions.. Or maybe it's because they flirt with the management. Which might I add does not take care of harassment issues correctly in the slightest bit. I love my under employees. But now all of your management is horrible. They are not just horrible at their jobs, they are horrible people. I was promised raises twice before ..Management told me for three months it'll be on next weeks check. I can't wait to leave your company and be free of the soul suckers you have in your company. I don't wish it on you, but I'm sure you will see what I'm saying is true when you no longer have the customers you used to. Remember, you take care of your employees, and they will take care of your customers.. That is if you care to put caring and honest people in your management and foreman positions.

6. "Great place to work if you're a mormon."

Former Employee - Sales in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Sales in Draper, UT

I worked at General RV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having holidays off. Closed Sundays. Filtered water.

Cons

Management plays favorites. Having money taken out of your pay without any notice or reason. Every deal has 1000's of $ missing without explanation. $5K deal today is a $2k in a week. Chargebacks to salespeople. Dishonesty. 6 managers tell you 6 different things. Turnover. 5 months of no business in the winter. Could care less about the customer after they take delivery, sent down the road with known issues. Owner doesn't talk to anyone but management. Store is run from Michigan. Corporate managers constantly in town, act like they're gods gift to the world, always upset about nothing. Don't do anything but sit around, brow beat and look at their phone all day. Company pays ZERO in cash spiffs, they give you bonus points (not actual money) which have the same value as monopoly money. Every meeting is negative. No training unless a rep is in town. No follow up system. Corporate atmosphere. Gas stations have nicer bathroom facilities. Don't invest $1 in the store, complete dump, looks like a homeless shelter while the corporate store looks like Trump Tower. Service couldn't put air in a tire without a problem. Service overcharges the sales department for everything they can hoping you won't check invoices.... gas, batteries, hourly rate. One of the "managers" has never even been in an RV. Don't hire from within, only hire used car salesmen for all open management positions. Not even offered to current employees, unless your a family member. Worst Christmas party I've ever attended, you give them gifts, nothing to employees. Super churchy, have to hear about everone's missions on the daily. You know where every person went on there mission. Yawn. List RV's for sale for family members who don't even work at General RV. Sales people curb RV's behind the scene. Management sells RV's and keep commissions, excluding salespeople .

Advice to Management

Don't just be concerned about your family members success, concern yourselves with everyone's success.

7. "Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in White Lake, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in White Lake, MI

I worked at General RV full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get what you put in, General can take you far, they took me in and guided thru my career. They sent me around the world from mexico to Hawaii. They expect a lot from you but give a lot in return. They push you because they do want you to succeed, your success is their success. From upper management to lower management they all care. My personal life got very hectic so i had to leave unfortunately.

Cons

Sales are sales, yes you have to work the hours to be successful but if sales were easy everyone would do it. The only bad part is I burned my bridges and they wont let me come back... jerks, im kidding, if I had the opportunity i would go back.

Advice to Management

Stay awesome, remember everyone has family's that matter. Keep doing what your doing because the numbers don't lie. Don't ever forget an employee that truly cares for you well always work harder for you. Much love General RV.

8. "Okay time I guess. Not bad"

Pros

Cool place to work. Fun times

Cons

Bad times had. Bad times for sure

Advice to Management

Stay cool. 🌞

"The single worst company I have ever worked for or done business with."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birch Run, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birch Run, MI

I worked at General RV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Store level management was OK. Co-workers were alright for the most part. They provide free lunches sometimes.

Cons

First, they'll lie to you. They'll lie about what you're going to make, then lie to you about what they told you. Second, they cheat you. No reports, no way to track, no nothing. As a service writer, say you write 50 hours in a week, you can, and will, get your check and only be paid for 20-25, due to "charge backs", which are all absolutely unexplained. As a technician, you work 40 hours, you might flag 30. You'll get your check, you got paid for 5. Not a once in awhile thing, each and every week, over and over. The industry is broken, RV's are insanely expensive and they are absolute piles of trash from day one. Almost all customers are angry customers, and I mean that quite literally. You'll be screamed at, harassed, and treated like dirt. Then, they'll do giveaway in an attempt to make the customer happy, and guess what? They give away the labor time, and as a writer, you just did all of it for free. Zero accountability. Zero leadership. You'll wait weeks on end for information to help a customer, and end up just doing it yourself. Consider this fair warning: I can flat guarantee you that you WILL regret it of you taking a job in the entirety of the service side of the business. The whole industry is one insane rip off to the customer, thousands in unnecessary charges just to buy, then hundreds in charges for warranty work. Yes, warranty work. Upper level management lie through their teeth, even when blatantly caught in the lie. System is so broken thousands in commissions went unpaid (week of Christmas, too), and it was ignored. I can't say enough, stay away, stay away. I always try to be as honest and positive as I can, but I Truthfully can't say it enough. I resigned due to it all, after the lies just kept sticking.

Advice to Management

Store level? Not your fault. You're doing what you can with what you have.
    Each and every individual in a corporate position?

How do you people look in the mirror in the morning? Advice: close for a few months. Start at the very first building block or your business and rebuild from ground up.

10. "Great Company"

Pros

Culture and benefits are very good

Cons

Working retail hours and sundays