Genesee & Wyoming Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Genesee & Wyoming President, CEO, and Director John C. Hellmann
John C. Hellmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good pay and benefits, decent hours (in 3 reviews)

• Good benefits and opportunities to move up if you will relocate (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Being it's a smaller railroad everyone knows your problems and sometimes people can get into little cliques (in 7 reviews)

1. "account analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Genesee & Wyoming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely safety conscious.

Cons

micromanaging, nit-picking, upper management and team leader says one thing and does another, workload overload from the start with no relief. Not genuine if you are a nice person. lies and back biting, psychological profiling. unfair treatment

Advice to Management

Do what you say you will do and stick to it.

"Going Down Hill"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Genesee & Wyoming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Safety Awards,

Cons

Employees are not treated the same, management plays favorites, micromanagement is a huge problem, everyone lies to get what they want. It almost has a high school feel to it- Grow up- we are all adults. The pay does not justify the stress, time, and pressure.

Advice to Management

There should be equal pay for equal work, employees should feel appreciated, a boss is only as good as their employees under them! Stop bringing in outsiders and promote within, if you don't feel your current employees aren't good enough then there is a problem

"Used to be great"

I have been working at Genesee & Wyoming full-time

Pros

Fair pay and benefits, safety focused

Cons

No structure, hostile environment, management lacks interest, wants more work over life balance by asking for after hour work to be done, you can't be a nice person to advance in the company, rather hire outsiders than from promote from within, those that are promoted shouldn't be since they lack knowledge and people skills, micromanages employees to the point they can't do the job, lacks enough employees to cover the amount of work to do

Advice to Management

Give employees the tools to do the job and let them do it without interference or hovering. Understand that 24 hour railroads doesn't mean the employees should individually work 24 hours. Hire the best candidates for positions, not the best resumes. Hire more employees instead of running your current ones into the ground.

"Micromanaged"

I have been working at Genesee & Wyoming full-time

Pros

Schedule, office location, and benefits

Cons

Micromanaged. salary position but treated like an hourly, no structure

Advice to Management

Rate salary employees based on actual performance and not petty clock in/out times or for taking breaks

5. "Big talk small action"

I worked at Genesee & Wyoming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits, decent hours

Cons

corporate managers leave a lot to be desired

"Work for sister company Rail-Link"

Current Employee - Switchmen in Scio, OH
    Current Employee - Switchmen in Scio, OH

I have been working at Genesee & Wyoming (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work 4 on 3 off. Get a guarantee 40 hours a week. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Management doesn't listen to suggestions and treats employees like they are children.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like children and listen to employees suggestions. Stop catering to certain employees treat everyone the same and as a team.

7. "Hidden from corporate"

Current Employee - Track Inspection and Everything Else
    Current Employee - Track Inspection and Everything Else

Pros

Benefits are great but don't expect a Christmas bonus we got a 25 dollar gift card and to tell u the truth that's just a slap in the face

Cons

I have been working with gwrr for three years my coworkers are great but management doses not care about you all they worry about is making themselves look good and there bonus they should pull their head out of their butts and look who is coming in early and working weekends to make sure everything is done bc your under staffed and over worked

Advice to Management

Your not better than us and to tell us not to call hr bc we will be fired also do not talk down to us and tell us our ideas are stupid.

"Assistant Roadmaster"

Former Employee - Assistant Road Master in Chickasha, OK
    Former Employee - Assistant Road Master in Chickasha, OK

I worked at Genesee & Wyoming (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair pay scale. Good safety program.

Cons

Way understaffed! Most weeks you will be required to work well over 68 hours per week.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing your employees to the breaking limit.

"LIES, LIES, AND MORE LIES TO GET YOU TO TAKE THE JOB"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tuscaloosa, AL

Pros

The company has good insurance and benefits. The pay is good. I have't been there long enough to say about raises though.

Cons

Conductor in training for the past 4 months. I was told I had to be put by myself in a couple of weeks, because of the lack of people. I don't feel like I am ready. It is a lot of paperwork and half of my training has been with people that don't give a crap or don't know what they are doing.
    I was told I would work mostly days and hardly any weekends and it is the exact opposite!
    Training is terrible. Terrible employee moral. I have been told multiple times by employees that if I liked to work with the railroad that I should find another railroad to work for because G&W is a joke & that's VERY discouraging to someone who already feels overwhelmed.
    They only have to let you know where you will be working 2 hours before you are to go in.
    No organization, and TRAINING is TERRIBLE. Like I said most of the people that have trained me do not even know what they are doing!! Huge employee turnover rate.

Advice to Management

READ THE CONS.

"Union-Biased (Southern Region)"

Former Employee - T&E Crew in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - T&E Crew in Columbus, GA

I worked at Genesee & Wyoming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Southern Region HR has some very attractive methods to lure applicants in. I was offered a cash sign-on bonus, put in a hotel room for weeks while I settled in and given a mileage and food allowance. I was even promised a 2-week vacation bank. Once I got settled in, my job switched to a location 26 miles further from my home and the mileage allowance stopped. A year later, I got 14 hours of vacation bank and a 1% raise to attempt to compensate for cost of living increase. What about cost of gas to drive to work increase???

Cons

Upper management is very upside down in their effort to promote safety. If you aren't previously Union you will not survive. The NS guys that worked the line before it went to G&W are notorious rule breakers, putting the safety of their crew and the other crews around them on the back burner so they might get their work done sooner. Management is fully aware of their activities but insists they've done nothing wrong. Yet a non-Union employee makes a mistake and they throw them under the bus and make an example out of them, citing a zero tolerance policy for critical rule violations... And if the Union guys are caught in the act, management will make up rules to keep them from getting fired. In addition, management promotes a hostile work environment between crews that turn over jobs to the next crew.

Advice to Management

Consider monitoring crews during times other than break time. Offer training to green conductor trainees, rather than throwing them to the wolves to learn the bad habits of the ex-Union slackers and then fire them when the Union guys screw up and point the finger at them.