Genesee & Wyoming Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Genesee & Wyoming President, CEO, and Director John C. Hellmann
John C. Hellmann

1. "Big talk small action"

I worked at Genesee & Wyoming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits, decent hours

Cons

corporate managers leave a lot to be desired

"Work for sister company Rail-Link"

Current Employee - Switchmen in Scio, OH
    Current Employee - Switchmen in Scio, OH

I have been working at Genesee & Wyoming (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work 4 on 3 off. Get a guarantee 40 hours a week. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Management doesn't listen to suggestions and treats employees like they are children.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like children and listen to employees suggestions. Stop catering to certain employees treat everyone the same and as a team.

3. "Hidden from corporate"

Current Employee - Track Inspection and Everything Else
    Current Employee - Track Inspection and Everything Else

Pros

Benefits are great but don't expect a Christmas bonus we got a 25 dollar gift card and to tell u the truth that's just a slap in the face

Cons

I have been working with gwrr for three years my coworkers are great but management doses not care about you all they worry about is making themselves look good and there bonus they should pull their head out of their butts and look who is coming in early and working weekends to make sure everything is done bc your under staffed and over worked

Advice to Management

Your not better than us and to tell us not to call hr bc we will be fired also do not talk down to us and tell us our ideas are stupid.

"Assistant Roadmaster"

Former Employee - Assistant Road Master in Chickasha, OK
    Former Employee - Assistant Road Master in Chickasha, OK

I worked at Genesee & Wyoming (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair pay scale. Good safety program.

Cons

Way understaffed! Most weeks you will be required to work well over 68 hours per week.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing your employees to the breaking limit.

6. "LIES, LIES, AND MORE LIES TO GET YOU TO TAKE THE JOB"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tuscaloosa, AL

Pros

The company has good insurance and benefits. The pay is good. I have't been there long enough to say about raises though.

Cons

Conductor in training for the past 4 months. I was told I had to be put by myself in a couple of weeks, because of the lack of people. I don't feel like I am ready. It is a lot of paperwork and half of my training has been with people that don't give a crap or don't know what they are doing.
    I was told I would work mostly days and hardly any weekends and it is the exact opposite!
    Training is terrible. Terrible employee moral. I have been told multiple times by employees that if I liked to work with the railroad that I should find another railroad to work for because G&W is a joke & that's VERY discouraging to someone who already feels overwhelmed.
    They only have to let you know where you will be working 2 hours before you are to go in.
    No organization, and TRAINING is TERRIBLE. Like I said most of the people that have trained me do not even know what they are doing!! Huge employee turnover rate.

Advice to Management

READ THE CONS.

"Union-Biased (Southern Region)"

Former Employee - T&E Crew in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - T&E Crew in Columbus, GA

I worked at Genesee & Wyoming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Southern Region HR has some very attractive methods to lure applicants in. I was offered a cash sign-on bonus, put in a hotel room for weeks while I settled in and given a mileage and food allowance. I was even promised a 2-week vacation bank. Once I got settled in, my job switched to a location 26 miles further from my home and the mileage allowance stopped. A year later, I got 14 hours of vacation bank and a 1% raise to attempt to compensate for cost of living increase. What about cost of gas to drive to work increase???

Cons

Upper management is very upside down in their effort to promote safety. If you aren't previously Union you will not survive. The NS guys that worked the line before it went to G&W are notorious rule breakers, putting the safety of their crew and the other crews around them on the back burner so they might get their work done sooner. Management is fully aware of their activities but insists they've done nothing wrong. Yet a non-Union employee makes a mistake and they throw them under the bus and make an example out of them, citing a zero tolerance policy for critical rule violations... And if the Union guys are caught in the act, management will make up rules to keep them from getting fired. In addition, management promotes a hostile work environment between crews that turn over jobs to the next crew.

Advice to Management

Consider monitoring crews during times other than break time. Offer training to green conductor trainees, rather than throwing them to the wolves to learn the bad habits of the ex-Union slackers and then fire them when the Union guys screw up and point the finger at them.

8. "Needs managers but unwilling to hire"

Pros

Great job environment
    Working out doors
    Good equipment

Cons

Relatively low pay
    No room for growth
    Hires from outside before internally

Advice to Management

Fix your management structure

"not great."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

great benefits. railroad retirement. hmm.

Cons

some managers are out of touch with reality - it's no long 1970. lot of turnover. poor technology.

Advice to Management

Senior management is great, but I don't necessarily think they see the problems that go on at the lower level.