Genesis HealthCare Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 15, 2017
1,229 reviews

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

1,229 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Co-workers that I love working with, employee appreciation, flexible schedule, close to home (in 18 reviews)

• Good Pay and Vacation pay for part timers (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management is only concerned about money (in 72 reviews)

• Poor patient care to the point were I sometimes had to bring in my own supplies to provide care to my residents (in 47 reviews)

1. "Don't get stuck! Fight for your wage don't settle"

Former Employee - Payroll Bookkeeper in Santa Maria, CA
    Former Employee - Payroll Bookkeeper in Santa Maria, CA

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're lucky enough to have a great team at your facility - it makes coming to work worth it! Patients/Residents teach you new worlds of compassion and understanding you didn't know you had. Frequent In-Services for direct care staff & nurses. Hard working Safety & Maintenance manager. Most staff is genuinely concerned about the patient/family more than any other responsibilities or duties tasked to them. Moderately generous employee benefits (e.g. birthdays, all-staff meetings, employee of the month). Smaller facilities have all staff get a chance to inter-mingle with other departments they would never interact with in a bigger facility. Tuition assistant Program is available as well as the Employee Assistance Program/Foundation.

Cons

Benefits are a joke, would be better off using state provided insurance. Mid-level management is either inadequately trained for their job or content with doing the bare minimum required. Corporate is extraordinarily out of touch with their facilities & the staff that keeps them running. Annual wage increase taken away from employees with a sad excuse as to why, it's insulting. Staff are aware of YTD losses in the company nationally. CED/Admins are dangerously close to or under the requirement of being competent. Staff is not paid correctly to reflect their time worked, OT/Double OT, referral Bonus, training, or special assignments. Staff is paid pennies & asked to go above & beyond in an impossible amount of time. Genesis policies are not enforced consistently or at all; both nepotism & favoritism take place whether management will admit it or not. Corp AP is painfully behind in actually cutting checks for their bills, it trickles down to the center. The center has to deal with angry Med Directors, Patient/Family, Vendors, & Medical Equipment companies waiting for payments from half a year ago or more. Not enough nurses are trained on how to admits thoroughly backing up unit supervisors that are left to do them on their own often going over their scheduled time to correct mistakes by the DON who should be expert in this action. The facility itself needs a major face lift but Genesis purse strings are double knotted tight. Corp meetings can often be too informal or in rare instances unprofessional. Facility management has inappropriate relationships with patients family/family friends + airs it out to other management. Unsafe discharges and last minute patient arrangements are the norm. Staff morale is often very low; work injuries, walk-outs, and turn-over are high. I wouldn't make this place your permanent home but somewhere to start and get your feet wet.

Advice to Management

Get it together if you aren't getting the resources or tools for your facility or department you need to be the best leader & seek it. Let your higher up's (Corp) know your immediate need of support and a plan of action that will trickle down to everyone no matter the rank or title. Don't be tentative to go over your direct supervisor's head & ask the corporate department relevant. Ask for help - you're only hurting your staff by pretending you know what you're doing & that you have it together. You may not be transparent but your results are.

2. "Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Gettysburg, PA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Gettysburg, PA

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management at both the facility and corporate level, were amazing.

Cons

As with most healthcare facilities there is quite a lot of cattiness.

3. "cna"

I worked at Genesis HealthCare part-time

Pros

great opportunities for picking up overtime

Cons

No real cons for Genesis

"Business office functions"

Current Employee - Business Office Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Business Office Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Data analysis, I like the autonomy I receive only my role here at genesis health care. I enjoy working with the staff and residents as well. Great company to learn best business office processes

Cons

Tasks must be prioritized all the time. There is a constant balance between meeting family demands and completing tasks. Before you know it, the clock will be 3 pm with little tasks completed for the day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

5. "Go Westwood!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bluefield, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bluefield, VA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are the best ever!

Cons

Tough regulatory environment in LTC.

6. "Good company"

Former Employee - Gna
    Former Employee - Gna

I worked at Genesis HealthCare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- everyone was nice and ready to help you grow

Cons

- the nurses are not very nice

7. "average"

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time

Pros

great coworkers, great patients, gives alot of education opportunites

Cons

upper management is only concerned about money

8. "Unless you are family you won't get promoted in this company"

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time

Pros

Great training programs and job security

Cons

No future - Horrible pay, benefits, company keeps taking away holidays and benefits. No incentives to do a good job. Left because of rude co-workers, was not family to get a promotion. Dead end job.

Advice to Management

Fight for your employees if they are worth keeping. This place was a revolving door with trying to keep staff on.

9. "It's in between."

Current Employee - CNA in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - CNA in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare (More than a year)

Pros

Cowokers are the best, and the residents.

Cons

Lack of communkcation with upper managment, and under staffed a lot.

"cna"

Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Flourtown, PA
    Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Flourtown, PA

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Caring for my resident Knowing they looking forward for me to give them. The care that were needed. The time I spend talking and walking or pushing them around. Making them feel special

Cons

Really didn't have any with the company only they stop van service wasn't able to get to work

Advice to Management

No complaints

Showing 1,229 of 1,263 reviews