Genesis HealthCare Reviews | Glassdoor

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated November 11, 2017

1.0
Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Co-workers that I love working with, employee appreciation, flexible schedule, close to home (in 18 reviews)

• Good Pay and Vacation pay for part timers (in 33 reviews)

"Collection Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility perhaps. Genesis would be a great place to work if they had structure. They do not give you the tools you need to succeed. No training , folks consistently leave or are fired. It’s a revolving door.

Cons

Genesis took on to many BO without having enough individuals to collect . You have to do 30 accounts a day which to me is possible but you will not be able work an account the way it needs to be done .Bom have no clue and your stuck fixing there mistakes.

Advice to Management

Get structure.

2. "Awful"

Current Employee - COTA/L in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - COTA/L in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation is ok when your allowed to take it nothing else

Cons

Awful healthcare benefits. It's pathetic. No pay raise which makes people's morale and pt care terrible.

Advice to Management

Terrible. No thanks for a good job but will be quick to point out any little mistake you make. Don't act like you're some omnipatent God. Outside of work you're a Turd and worthless because of your attitude.

"NA"

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time

Pros

It's a job. Continue to care for residents that deserve the best.

Cons

no incentives, no pay raises, no 401 k matches, no respect for staff, esp. GNA's and Nurses. "do more with less." facilities are shabby. Residents deserve better. Buildings are dirty, moldy and they stink. Food sucks!!! Residents eat the same thing day after day and CEO eat high on the hog. No respect for front line care givers and then one wonders why you can't keep staff. The only staff that stays are the ones that hope they can make a difference. New hires make more than staff that has worked in the same facility for years. CEO's don't care about the staff or the residents. It's all about the almighty dollar. Sinful. Wonder how they lay their heads on their pillows at night.

Advice to Management

wake up... think with your heart not your pocket book

"Age issues and billing discrepancies abound."

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Been here 2 years and find the "ethics and employee importance does not exist.

Cons

They fired 2 people that were nearing retirement age and they haven't been able to find other jobs in the company to let them continue until they can get social security. The replaced them with 2 younger persons less than 40 years of age.
    Their system of billing teeters on illegal..can you imagine doing rehab on a 90 year old on hospice who can barely walk and they want him to do leg exercises. ALL about money nothing more, nothing less

Advice to Management

Keep your older employees..... and hire when you can as a manager I found they were completely knowledgeable and highly trustworthy.

"A lot of words, no action."

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I met some nice staff. Some CEU oppprtunities. Not many more pros than that.

Cons

Genesis is becoming worse. Becoming more focused on the bottom line. Benefits are worse. The buildings are falling apart. They are trying to save money by reducing PTO time and taking away holiday pay. Genesis is promoting people into management positions, and these people have no business being there. They are trying to save money by promoting less qualified people, but the cost in the long run will be more because of lawsuits. Upper management does not have a realistic idea of what is going on in the buildings. Upper management is frequently unsupportive of staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff who work on the floor. Show up to the buildings unexpected so you can see what is really going on. Start listening to all sides of the story instead of just making a snap judgement call. Start providing recognition to staff who are hard working, instead of always giving negative feedback. Start giving pay raises as you keep loading up staff responsibility. Some of your management is abusive, start screening people better before promoting them. The majority of the people who are leaving your company are leaving due to management issues. Management should be more tighty monitored. Stop telling your management that they are "irreplaceable." This can lead to a hostile and abusive situation, as some management will take this to heart. Stop thinking only about money and start doing what is right for the patients.

6. "Nothing special"

Former Employee - Activities Coordinator
    Former Employee - Activities Coordinator

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't work there anymore.

Cons

Not a good place to work. It is not a team environment. Not great benefits.

"Uncaring company who only cares about the bottom line."

Former Employee - Therapist
    Former Employee - Therapist

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful therapy team who really cares about their patients.

Cons

Genesis Rehab Services only cares about money, not people - they do not care about their employees or patients, I am sad to say. I cannot recommend this company for many reasons. Genesis has been on a wage freeze for a couple years. In January 2017, benefits were cut (including PTO accrual rates and taking away holidays). Genesis does not support employees in professional growth and development, nor do they offer you any reward for working hard, staying late, etc. There are not opportunities for advanced education, promotions, or raises. Hours are not guaranteed and you regularly have to use your PTO to make your full hours. Medical benefits are expensive, even with the "wellness discount". 401k has never had a match. Management is out of touch with what happens on the ground level in therapy and in the rest of the building (especially with nursing - nurses are not held accountable for their actions, even when they are harmful to patients). There were many problems that were very fixable at the particular building that I was at, yet management did not care enough to fix them. I was hopeful that things would get better for the longest time, but unfortunately, things kept getting worse. Management has told the entire therapy team many times that we "are all replaceable" - good job making your employees feel valued....not. I am happy to say I am now employed with a company that cares about their employees and patients!

Advice to Management

Maybe stop acquiring new facilities and take care of the ones that you already have? Don't spread your resources so thin. For example - my facility stopped buying wet wipes for patients (elderly patients with fragile skin and wounds, etc!) because they were too expensive. If you can't even afford decent wipes for patients bottoms and you cut employee benefits, you may be in financial trouble! Have management get involved in more than computer work and learn what it is like on the ground level. Healthcare professionals are in this job because they CARE about patients - and they are well aware when their company could not care less about them as people or employees. You will continue to lose amazing employees (and consequently patients) if you keep running your company as you have these past couple years. Patients have a great rehab experience when you have a great rehab team - but I guess "we are all replaceable" to management. This company needs an overhaul.

"Therapist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the patients is the only pro that comes to mind.

Cons

It's all about production! They make it very difficult to use your personal, vacation, & sick time. If you're sick Monday -Friday you are expected to work the following Saturday to make it up and not allowed to use your sick time! They do not give pay raises ever! No appreciation or recognition at all! This company is cheap and doesn't purchase needed supplies or equipment! Worst health ins ever!! Extremely high premiums and deductibles!!

Advice to Management

Show your therapist some respect and value their opinions! Don't force them to pick up inapproximate patients just because they are Med As!

9. "going down hill fast!"

Former Employee - Management in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Management in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There aren't any shame shame shame

Cons

many, too many to speak of

Advice to Management

Shut down

"LPTA"

Current Employee - LPTA in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - LPTA in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My patients are the reason I stay. My coworkers are also wonderful. Lately, there is poor mgmt and leadership. Benefits are horrible, esp the cost of health care

Cons

It is a high stress environment with low wages and poor benefits. It is hard to say anything good. Been with this co for a long time, but wouldn't recommend it any more.

Advice to Management

Go back to your mission! Take better care of your employees! 4 yrs without a raise? No holidays?

Showing 296 of 1,235 reviews