Cover image for Genesis Healthcare

Genesis Healthcare

Engaged Employer

Genesis Healthcare

Add a Review

Genesis Healthcare Employee Reviews about "communication"

Updated Feb 3, 2023

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 1,372 of over 1K reviews
43% Recommend to a Friend
37% Approve of CEO

Found 52 of over 1K reviews

Genesis Healthcare Interim CEO and Executive Chairman of the Board David Harrington (no image)
David Harrington

The latest conversations about Healthcare

Join the conversation on

Healthcare

3h

works at

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

I already put in my 2 weeks notice to my work place, my supervisor was mad at me because since I just received retention bonus that will expire for a year, she’s saying I can’t leave. She has explained to me that if I leave, I might have to pay back the retention bonus. Do you think they will reject my 2 weeks notice or I just can pay them back? I need to get out from this toxic work environment. I did not tell them that I already accept another job which is better pay.

3 Comments

Healthcare

132.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/medicine-2/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Genesis Healthcare~33727
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Genesis Healthcare? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Genesis Healthcare employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Genesis Healthcare and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "communication"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Training of new staff lacking

Jul 24, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

communication within some of the departments

Cons

Hours being cut due to low census. Paycheck won't be consistent.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

PTA

Aug 10, 2017 - PTA in New Bloomfield, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity for growth within the company

Cons

Poor communication with clinicians

1 person found this review helpful
  3. Join the Genesis Healthcare team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Hard job, not great pay but worth it

Feb 7, 2022 - Certified Nursing Assistant CNA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Communication with administration is good

Cons

We were short staffed frequently

Genesis Healthcare Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Our employees are the vital link between our patients and residents. We value your review.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee

The private investors should take a closer look

Sep 25, 2013 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

I used to work for Genesis in one of their corporate offices. I was originally a Sun Healthcare employee and was very happy to be retained when Genesis acquired Sun in December of 2012. Almost immediately I began to wonder if the thousands of employees let go were actually better off than having been retained. Where Sun was a personable company where communication and resulting action was practiced and expected I found Genesis to be a slow ponderous bureaucracy that was big on planning, discussion, scheduling and conferences but almost pathologically incapable of executing in a timely way. Communication from Kennet Square to Sun locations was almost non-existent. If you called Kennett Square for assistance no-one knew anything and could rarely (not always) refer you to someone who could help. During the joining of the two companies we had no-one to go to for advice or direction and if we ever did get a call back it was so many days after the initial inquiry that we had just muddled through doing what we thought was best. On the rare occasion when you received an email response, again days after inquiring, it was most often a request (by email) for more information.I came to believe that communication within the traditional Genesis world was equally crippled. It appeared that all the top people spoke to each other, all the middle managers and directors talked together, and all the grunts talked with each other. But there was poor vertical communication so that projects were handed off to subordinates who usually didn’t have enough information or detail to effectively execute their tasks. The fear of blame being assigned seemed to be the sole motivator for middle and lower level employees working. As far as the acquisition of Sun goes I believe now that there was little or no planning. Certainly none was communicated. Perhaps all the executives discussed what they wanted to do and how they expected to merge the two companies. I was not a manager but a quasi-technical specialist supporting operations and not anything resembling a plan or merger-goal came my way. I saw that no-one in Genesis ever asked anything about what I did or how the introduction of Genesis workflows and processes might impact the legacy Sun systems and workflows that had not yet been dismantled. The result was sometimes complete chaos. No-one in Genesis made any attempt to understand what they were replacing nor the impact of introducing new processes on different but related Sun processes. There was an arrogance in Kennett Square. They knew everything and you could not tell them anything. If something went wrong during the merger it was always attributed to a ‘Sun problem’. Perhaps nothing foreshadowed this merger more than some email threads I received from Genesis people early in 2013. These email threads were up to ten or eleven pages along and each recipient was expected to read through the entire thread to attempt to understand what the forwarder could have summarized in three lines. These emails originated between Genesis employees sometimes months prior and in the early exchanges when the recipients thought they were only going to be communicating with Genesis staff they shared the rudest and most disparaging remarks abut Sun and Sun employees. I later heard from the several new friends I did make in the Genesis organization that these critical remarks and put-downs of Sun were regularly expressed by Genesis managers and executives in Kennett Square meetings when they thought they were probably exhorting their people by demeaning Sun. What a pity and what a waste. There were many good people in Sun who cared about their work and what they were doing. Most of them have been let go or have now left on their own. If you are a Genesis investor I would ask where the money is? Where are the promised savings? Doubtless any loss will be blamed on Sun but did Genesis not do any diligence prior to the deal? Did they not investigate what they were buying? Neither I nor any of my Sun colleagues up through the VP level ever fielded any detailed inquiry about our daily operations. Perhaps the guys at the top just traded spreadsheets and assumed that was all there was? There are no savings now and they are desperately looking for ways to cut costs. Don’t be distracted by talk of further acquisitions. That’s just designed to take your eye off the ball.

Cons

Cons are in the pro section.

6 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good company

Jun 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and PTO, flexible schedule for corporate staff

Cons

Communication can be an issue and things take a long time to get processed

Marketing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you are enjoying your experience at Genesis.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Solid company

May 24, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Solid company with good people and values. Focused on providing quality care to our country's older population. Largest post-acute care provider and still growing.

Cons

Sometimes growing faster than corporate office staff can support. Corporate organization suffers from poor communication at times and lack of internal career ladder.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Former Employee

Good

Mar 23, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Burlington, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Money was okay. Benefits decent

Cons

Lack of communication from management

Marketing Specialist

We value your feedback. Our employees are the vital link between Genesis and our patients and residents.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Patient observed and medical assistant

Apr 10, 2021 - Patient Care Technician