Genesis Housing Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Neil Hadden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Moves Manager (Property Manager)"

Former Employee - Moves Manager in Elkins Park, PA
    Former Employee - Moves Manager in Elkins Park, PA

I worked at Genesis Housing Association (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large housing association with varied workload with change atmosphere.

Cons

Organization evolved without input from rank and file.

Advice to Management

Better liaison relationship with staff.

2. "Unfulfilled Potential"

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Camden Town, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Camden Town, England (UK)

I worked at Genesis Housing Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Modern & stylish offices in the heart of London. Vibrant workforce with a healthy appetite for social events.

Cons

Disconnect between management and staff, poor communication and lots of decisions being made by the board without a full understanding of how it affects the business process.

Advice to Management

Understand each individual aspect of a business process associated with a system before trying to change the system. Analyse your data better, cleanse and improve it before embarking on any project, make that a separate project before any others. Treat staff better, listen to their needs and wants before making management change decisions. Build better relationships with staff so they actually feel comfortable making suggestions to you, rather than asking for suggestions in large team meetings where people aren't willing to speak openly.

3. "Good employer"

I have been working at Genesis Housing Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working, although how this works it's way out is very much dependent on the line manager. Pay is good, people are friendly enough

Cons

Can be hard to get things done

Advice to Management

Improve communication and reduce red tape

"Nice and relaxed environment to work"

I have been working at Genesis Housing Association full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours, availability to work from home, good benefits.

Cons

Not a very good team structure and organisation. People are constantly leaving and teams are not very bonded.

5. "Flexible working, great people, recognition for hard work... but also some cons..."

Pros

Flexible working is really good - hot desking, working from home etc. makes working life much more enjoyable than a very regimented clock in/clock out culture.

If you work hard and are good at your job you are recognised and rewarded. I've had a promotion and can see there will be opportunities for more.

Lots of different things to get involved with - sub groups, forums, charity work, volunteering. A great way to network and meet new people, particularly as a new starter.

The people are a great bunch!

Cons

Very reactive organisation to work in - difficult to encourage people to see the longer term benefits of changing/implementing something now to save them time/money in the future. That said, making any change takes forever.

Those that work hard are relied upon to deliver a lot which is good for your own experience but at times feels like you are taken advantage of and those under performing get away with it.

You can't take any simple things for granted e.g. turning up to meetings on time (or at all!), responding to emails in a timely way, people wanting to be spoon fed information or they claim they didn't know - we need to get these simple things right before we can progress.

Advice to Management

Better performance management of staff - poor management of those who are under performing sometimes makes you feel like you spend time propping up those that aren't very good at their jobs.

Senior staff need to lead by example and really live the values and behaviours of Genesis.

"Lots of career opportunities"

Current Employee - Programmer Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Programmer Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Genesis Housing Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Genesis for just over 7 years now and during that time have seen lots of change within the organization, I have to say these changes are for the better and Genesis is unrecognizable compared to the Genesis I first started in 7 years ago. As an 'employee' I too have been through lots of changes of circumstances including; maternity, juggled the childcare of a young family and have also worked in 3 different job roles so I have experienced life as a 'Genesis employee' from a variety of perspectives.

The 3 main pros of working at Genesis are as below:

1) Career progression and opportunities: For those who work hard, get involved in extra projects/forums and go the 'extra mile' within their roles there are lots of opportunities for career progression both sideways into a different team or upwards into a more senior role. This has been the main reason I have stayed here for so long rather than looking externally for new opportunities. I feel like I have really invested in Genesis and its residents in the long-term. Its such a big organization with a wide variety of teams so there really are lots of opportunities to keep learning for those who genuinely want to learn.

2) Agile working practices, working from different locations flexibly, hot desking- This might not be for everyone, but I personally love the freedom of being able to move around depending on the needs of the job. Some days I'm in head office or if out of office and in-between meetings I can work in a coffee shop or library. There is a big focus at Genesis (at least within my team) on outputs rather than being visibly stuck to the same desk 9-5pm which isn't necessarily efficient. I also find this helps my general wellbeing and maintaining a good work- life balance.

3) Great staff: Staff at Genesis on the whole are friendly and helpful. My team colleagues are amazing and so is my manager which makes it easy to get on with the job at hand rather than using energy dealing with internal politics.
    Of course, as with any large organization there are some areas of the business where I think job satisfaction is low and this affects how they interact with other internal staff but on the whole the majority of people are helpful and really nice at Genesis.

Cons

1) Few accredited training opportunities- This may very well soon change with the introduction of the apprenticeship levy but currently there is nothing in terms of accredited training opportunities internally or externally.

2) Lots of restructures, mergers and changes causes staff to feel anxious- The restructures itself aren't the problem as I like change I think it keeps things fresh, however for many staff the constant change is disruptive and causes people to feel anxious. As a result the run up to the restructure/change date can be quite a difficult period of time to work in.

Advice to Management

More accredited training opportunities and less e-learning. It would be great if staff could study or work towards accreditations (of all levels)whilst on the job as it will enhance the work they are doing.

"Lovely people, uncertain future"

Pros

- colleagues are lovely and most genuinely care about their tenants and leaseholders
    - working at a company with a social heart - you're helping people solve their housing needs which is a great thing to do
    - superb offices all with good finishes and well maintained
    - flexible working - from home, different offices, or different hours, all easy and welcomed by management
    - working week 35hrs and no demands to work more
    - focused on improving systems and being digital first

Cons

- say they have a 'Commercial Brain' but they don't
    - looming shadow of a new merger
    - CEO lacks people skills and showed poor leadership during failed merger with Thames Valley
    - salary not the best
    - benefits have been updated but still not great
    - pension contribution ok but not great
    - hard to promote within company
    - high staff turnover

Advice to Management

- Decide whether a merger is actually going to happen or not
    - CEO needs to talk to his people and show he cares and understands what they do - walk the floors
    - CEO and Senior Management to back its people during a future merger- don't leave them out to dry like last time
    - improve salary offering and compete for the best people
    - provide more opportunities to promote good people
    - more internal recognition of the importance of generating revenue to support the social purpose
    - promote the Genesis name more - make people know what Genesis means and stands for

8. "What's it's really like ..."

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Genesis Housing Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Genesis like many other organisations has it's good bits and bad bits! Some the good bits are flexible working, friendly staff, diversity and purpose. It's a great place to start and build a career to move on.

Cons

The bad bits are that the organisation is not yet where it needs to be but working hard to get there. There are some groups of staff that really need to leave as they are not right for the organisation they don't live the culture and make it difficult for those who do! Career development is non-existent as internal talent is not developed. Management don't trust people to do their jobs so over complicate simple things resulting in poor results. Lack of innovation to lead people to do things differently through role modelling.

Advice to Management

Start trusting the people you recruit, acknowledge you're not the most creative or innovative bunch and engage the people who are! Make a plan and stick to it so we can have something real to celebrate and not waisted efforts that is not acknowledged. Pay your staff a fair wage and promote people internally.

"Risk Averse fire fighting"

I worked at Genesis Housing Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working, friendly colleagues, striving to do the right thing

Cons

Micro manager, controlling manager, over-reacting, no proportionality. Lack of trust, no space to deliver what is required, changing priorities. People don't live the values and there are no consequences to poor performance or management

Advice to Management

Implement consequences and performance manage people. Stop being reactive and panicking

10. "Current employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Genesis Housing Association (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong overall purpose; strong approach to employee engagement; flexible working; generous leave entitlements; support for colleagues; focus on improvement and change

Cons

Overly reactive; too much still left to chance, too little focus on planning and managing the pace of change and improvement; expectations sometimes set at levels which are simply not possible, which may demotivate people; overly bureaucratic in leadership - 'collaborative leadership' ambition sometimes feels more like 'management by committee'

Advice to Management

Look at role and purpose of SLT and it numerous sub-groups; where things aren't optional, be clear and find measures to effectively address this; focus on process simplification across all processes - but ensure simpler processes are not so basic as to not allow for diverse and individual needs