Genesys Reviews | Glassdoor

Genesys Chief Executive Officer Paul Segre
Paul Segre

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The location of the offices in Daly City is not great (in 21 reviews)

• Absolutely do not value work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Opportunity to grow professionally by building an iconic company."

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun fast pace environment that promotes professional growth and career advancement.

Cons

We are in growth mode so it's not an environment to sit back and simply collect a paycheck. In order to succeed and excel you will need to be ready to show up, work hard, and contribute to your teams goals. Environment is best for overachievers that are looking to build a career!

Advice to Management

Continue the transparent communications as we transition from a focus on merging two companies to executing strategies that promote growth mode.

2. "Incredible opportunity, playing the long game"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are the reason I've stayed at the company for so long. The leadership team takes a genuine interest in the employees, their strengths and weaknesses, including personal struggles outside of Genesys.

Great office amenities in Indianapolis (on-site cafe/restaurant, two gyms, massage room, etc.)

Has some of the best technology in the industry and driving to improve it.

Opportunity to develop a career with good lateral moves to gain experience.

Merger with ININ is going extremely well - I came to Genesys almost 5 years ago by way of an acquision and this latest merger is so much better, well thought out, efficient.

Cons

In the middle of a merger, there are a lot of moving parts. Managing them while keeping everything in line can be tough and overwhelming at times.

Advice to Management

Stay humble and focused on the opportunity at hand - it's huge and we can explode with growth if we stay focused, humble and execute.

"Golden Handcuffs"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Daly City, CA

I worked at Genesys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Above average pay, ability to work remote, smart and dedicated people.

Cons

Genesys has been subjected to number of acquisitions which had the unfortunate side effect of elevating department heads whose key attribute is self-preservation. Numerically, these people are few - unfortunately they hold many influential positions within the company which fosters a culture of "busy work" passing as progress.

Advice to Management

Take a critical look at each of your department heads (you don't need Bain & Co. for this exercise). Genesys of old is not Genesys of today - you need to flush and refresh your leadership with folks who are dynamically experienced with Cloud SaaS outside of Genesys - not citing their tenure as domain expertise.

"My prospective of the current merger"

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A variety of different skill areas to work within for technical employees with a large, diverse, and global team. Programs for continuous education and growth with access to extensive self-paced courses.

Cons

As an employee that was acquired during the Interactive Intelligence purchase I've tried to keep an open mind about what the future of Genesys will look like.

In my part of the organization, we were sold a plan that legacy Genesys and legacy ININ folks would be working together to take the best parts of both organizations and create a new "Iconic" team. At first I saw opportunity and growth potential, but as we've gone further down the road, we're starting to see the real "plan".

The real "plan" isn't to take the best of both worlds and make a new "Iconic" organization. The plan is to force ININ to fit into the existing Genesys ways. It's very clear. We've even heard it directly out of our VP's mouth. In this transition I've watched as we've been cornered into adopting Genesys "best practices" that are YEARS behind the progress we made at ININ. We're being forced into adopting software and systems that are not capable of meeting our needs. When we first got into this project, I was excited and ready to go. Now that I've seen what's really going on, I'm losing faith that we're moving the right direction and doing the right things. Genesys is about to shove the remaining ININ employees into a cycle where we take three steps back and one step forward.

Lastly, Genesys needs to get real with the salaries that they're paying employees in the Indianapolis office. Who's name is on the tallest building in Indy right now? Salesforce. We aren't the only tech company in Indy. We can't acquire good talent if we're not willing to pay for it.

Advice to Management

You want to make money, right? Learn from ININ's past.

Genesys senior management needs to disconnect themselves from the past processes and projects before the acquisition. I ask that you be open minded to adopting the practices that ININ has been developing for nearly a decade.

5. "Business Operations Associate"

Current Employee - Business Operations Associate in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Associate in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great visibility of the company (both accross functions and hierarchy levels)
    Large diversity of projects, from quantitative analysis projects to program management
    Riche learning path

Cons

Large company taking some time to adapt to a fast changing environment

"Post-merger reflections"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No merger is going to be perfect, but given the size, complexity and time crunch it has gone pretty well. I doubt many of the reviewers complaining about the merger have any real business knowledge and/or have been part of a merger of this size/complexity in any substantial way.

We bounced some deadweight (long overdue), got a more focused approach on the roadmap, are more transparent from EVP down to individual contributor, and are looking forwards and upwards.

Cons

From an R&D perspective it seems like some areas of Genesys R&D is a bit stuck in the 90s (architecture, technology choices, lack of true DevOps, waterfall as opposed to Agile development, heavy process, desire to hire resources in the cheapest regions).

A significant portion of the innovation has come from M&As instead of internally.

As more of a 'start-up' side of R&D we have to fight for every resource and just had to go through a small RIF - this all while other R&D groups are trying to hire a significant number of resources and appear to have competing strategies/products. This indicates a lack of shared vision and communication at the top-level of the organization. Two, or three depending on how you count it, R&D groups competing to deliver where the 'fight' is heavily stacked in one group's favor.

Advice to Management

Be exceptionally cautious of anyone that pushes the idea that cheap R&D resources actually pays off - have someone really scrutinize the metrics. You get what you pay for. If you want innovation and desire being an iconic company don't skimp on R&D.

Protect, nurture, and over-fund R&D groups actually innovating - they will make Genesys iconic.

Accelerate shared service strategy and build out one platform - pick the one that was built from the start as a "suite of cloud services for enterprise-grade communications, collaboration, and contact center management".

"It's all down hill from here"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High pay rate to start for being in the mid-west.

Cons

Genesys is not good at folding in acquisitions. Angel, EchoPass, Utopy, SoundBite, Speechstorm, and now Interactive Intelligence. Count in Genesys own internally built hosted "cloud" platform along with premise customers and you will quickly find six or seven silo's that have yet to be integrated into a single cohesive company.

You will find that Genesys idea of buying a company is to layoff or force out the senior leaders of the acquired company first and then slowly weed out the remaining acquired employees through frustration and "Synergy Spreadsheets" that stack rank employees and knock off the bottom ten percent, usually the bottom ten percent are the acquired employees.

When a company buys a cloud company, there are few assets other than the employees that created the software and run the cloud operations. When you force out or lay off the employees what you have left is a cloud operation stuck in present operating mode at a degraded level of performance and support. This is particularly true when Genesys outsources development and support of the acquired platform to India or Russia. Look at Genesys Careers page and you will find dozens of positions in Manilla, St. Petersburg, Russia, Chennai, India, Hyderbad, India as the prime areas for Full Stack development where the platforms are to be integrated into a common product. Combine this with the lost talent from the acquisitions and what you are left with is a CTO of Genesys trying to perform full stack development of a collection of acquisitions that know one within the company knows little to nothing about, because all of the intellectual capital has left the organization.

Genesys encourages the fake reviews on glassdoor, and has for a while. So reviews that are glowing that states there are no cons to working at Genesys are internal hacks that are trying to position Genesys as the "go to" place to work. The reality is that most of the talent from the Interactive Intelligence acquisition is gone or going, and the talent from the other acquisitions has been gone for quite sometime. It would be tough to find even half a dozen EchoPass or Soundbite employees still left at Genesys. Interactive Intelligence employees were laid off, which means Genesys has already found itself in the same integration failure boat with an even bigger company. Ask Genesys for a combined uptime report for each and all cloud platforms on a 24 X 7 X 365 day basis for a year and you will find it is far less than the standard five nines the industry is used to seeing.

The CTO of Genesys is arrogant, and believes he can buy patents and then outsource the support and development to India and Russia to maintain a competitive posture against the likes of InContact or Amazon Connect. The reality is Genesys is years away from having a solidified scalable reliable omni-channel contact center platform which can compete with it's own current platforms. Genesys internal "cloud" product along with Interactive Intelligence PureCloud run on Amazon Web Services, and there simply isn't a window of years to bring on talent on in India and Russia, have them learn the old platforms and then develop them into an openstack product.

From a reliability standpoint, Genesys publishes outages online, and you can see the entire system go down for 45 minutes at a time. And that is prior to completing the offshoring of support and development.

And with hiring in India and Russia, expect to see even more frustrated customers with language barriers and time zones and newness into the position by offshore resources. A recipe for disaster.

The CTO of Genesys should have been fired long ago for buying Echopass and doing nothing with the acquisition. It was an us Vs. them mentality with Genesys creating it's own internal competing product to Echopass, which totally flopped. Now Genesys has to move Echopass customers off of that platform onto something new, because Echopass hasn't been sold in years. Complete waste of resources and talent, with few or no Echopass employees left at Genesys.

Avoid this one at all costs, as watching this train wreck derail will parallel Avaya being bought by private equity firms hoping to get rich quick. Genesys is being controlled by three private equity firms and being directed by a CTO that hasn't told the truth in many years.

Advice to Management

Fire the CTO.

"So far..So good after acquisition"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work and play hard mentally starting to creep back in after a few years of work hard, work even harder.

Cons

Still some uncertainty. A lot of engineers believe they will be eventually replaced by the cheaper less knowledgeable overseas employees

Advice to Management

Continue to build and have trust in your employees. Relieve the stress and the uncertainty

"Terrible, toxic culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free parking and that's it.

Cons

Toxic work culture that has trickled down from upper management and private equity firms who could care less about employees. Everyone is disposable, and they'll just replace you with contractors and consultants (or better yet, offshore your role). You will not be valued or rewarded for your hard work here. The 5 star reviews are definitely fake reviews put out by HR since they track Glassdoor ratings closely.

Advice to Management

Stop with the BS. Pretty soon everyone will have jumped ship and this thing will tank fast.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genesys (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very healthy balance sheet, by being privately held, the executive team and investors have great flexibility and control for growth opportunities. The Executive Leadership team is vey committed to employee well-being, Genesys shows strong sales worldwide, amazing brand recognition and a loyal customer base.

Cons

Innovation and entrepreneurship are too often stalled by mid management jockeying for petty visibility opportunities and/or personal agendas. Many very talented people are constantly “held back” for either ethnic reasons (lot’s of race, nationality and/or language bias in many groups) or for fear that they may “steal the light” from well established Genesys figures. Throughout the years I have witnessed many talented individuals being sidelined but able to find "enjoyable" and less visible opportunities within the company which they gladly accept because of the overall company culture and decent benefits.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the company composition, Genesys used to have a very healthy population with a very limited number of useless politicians, good ‘ol friends from the past, and smooth “substanceless” talkers. This is changing too quickly in the wrong direction.

Great job at thinking big when it comes to growth, brand and financials. Could do better with technology choices.

Genesys Response

Jun 1, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for posting and for your overall positive sentiments about life at Genesys. One comment you made in particular is concerning to me, which is the suggestion that promotion decisions are... More