Genesys Reviews | Glassdoor

Genesys Chief Executive Officer Paul Segre
Paul Segre

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • My commute to Daly City is long, but once you demonstrate value working remote policy is very flexible (in 24 reviews)

• On a related note, work/life balance wasn't great (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Opportunity to grow professionally by building an iconic company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun fast pace environment that promotes professional growth and career advancement.

Cons

We are in growth mode so it's not an environment to sit back and simply collect a paycheck. In order to succeed and excel you will need to be ready to show up, work hard, and contribute to your teams goals. Environment is best for overachievers that are looking to build a career!

Advice to Management

Continue the transparent communications as we transition from a focus on merging two companies to executing strategies that promote growth mode.

2. "Good People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Genesys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent people, especially in Raleigh. Highly intelligent, driven, know how to have a good time. Very little politics compared to other companies their size.

Leadership is also great, especially for the development and testing orgs. Upper management authentically cares about their people.

Cons

After two acquisitions, career growth opportunities in Raleigh seems to be slowing down. Not a lot of opportunity for increased responsibility or to distinguish ones self. Leadership does care about its people and will put in the effort to do what they can, but after the 12/16 acquisition, it felt like many of them had their "hands tied" and were faced with new found restrictions in what they could do.

Advice to Management

Create new pathways for emerging leaders and managers to grow.

"Plenty of opportunities but not based on merit or performance"

I worked at Genesys full-time

Pros

Fellow employees were generally engaged and motivated to succeed. There were some very bright minds who were a pleasure to interact with.

Cons

There's a select group in the Engineering department that makes all the decisions. Multiple groups, across the organization would make meaningful contributions only to have them rejected because the core Engineering group did not do it.

Instead of including teams with proven successes, deploying the same products, in the same environments, artificial barriers to entry were constantly constructed.

Tactics such as:
     No access to deployable packages for the applications - because there was no documentation. 800 engineers and no unified updated wiki.
    No build and compile guides.
    Using google to search our public docs was the most effective way to find out how components fit together. Luckily the documentation team is great.
    Multiple code repositories in separate version control systems, and no unified access mechanism.

There were multiple skunkwork projects, where teams across departments and products, secretly collaborated in order to meet the goals and tasks they were assigned. As soon as the success was known, it would be shut down and those responsible were punished.
    Because Genesys did, and still does, have bright minds, many work arounds were created. But instead of embracing them, those teams were isolated and inundated with new requirements. It was embarrassing to watch the chosen team struggle to achieve rudimentary success over the course of months and then years.

NIH was standard operating procedure.

Advice to Management

Obviously Genesys continues to have marketplace success. Just be honest with teams and individuals about the culture. Offer a generous severance package and an NDA. It's demoralizing and unkind. It certainly affects morale.

4. "No one seems to care if you leave"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Genesys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

open time off if your manager agrees!

Cons

They totally went against their word on being committed to Indy as a hub for HR/Finance/IT. Know one in Daly City wants to admit maybe everyone left because of the lack of commitment from Sr Leaders to trust Indy leadership. HR in Indy is all new and they are not able to make any decisions without Daly City approval. I received calls every week for opportunities, did not want to leave as I really thought things would settle down. It became clear as I watched many of my colleagues leave they were not going to change.

Advice to Management

Additional levels in leadership is not the answer. You need to replace some of your department heads even though it may be difficult since friendships have been established and it tarnishes the ability for the top two leaders to make a change. The net result is employees decide to leave. Recently a good employee resigned and when asked if anything would be sent out to let others know within the department, they said it was a HR policy not to announce departures. I understand you do not like it when someone leaves, however, your decision not to at least recognize and thank them for what they did while employed sends a clear message of being just a number.

"Used to be a good place to work"

I have been working at Genesys full-time

Pros

Open vacation policy, good salary & bonuses

Cons

Very heavy workload, poor health insurance

Advice to Management

I used to think Genesys was the best place I had ever worked. Then, the work environment changed for the worse in the summer of 2017. Working nights & weekends just to keep up. Couldn't even take time off during the holidays because of the workload. Other parts of Genesys are probably still great to work for, but if you looking for a job, stay away from Professional Services. Far far away.

"Solid Company"

I worked at Genesys part-time

Pros

Fun work outings, low pressure, great pay, and challenging work.

Cons

It can feel a bit white-collar compared to other software development jobs.

7. "Growing company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Genesys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of nice people to work with.

Cons

A good portion of Management and C-level and above are in Daly city.

Advice to Management

make sure new employees have a person to guide them trough their first week that are aware of that persons responsibilities.

"Layoffs and politics"

I worked at Genesys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits package is generous, open time off policy

Cons

Layoffs, politics, silos and outsourcing

"A great place to work..."

Current Employee - Customer Success in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Success in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Genesys is a leader in its market. The benefits are fantastic. Compensation is very competitive. There is open PTO, and flexible work from home oppurtunity. The onsite gym and clinic (in Indy) are awesome. There are amazing opportunities to attend conferences and travel. Last year I attended a conference that ended with a party on an aircraft carrier. It was amazing. It is exciting to be part of a large playing in the market and in the bay area scene. It is a different world than we lived in pre-acquisition.

Cons

2017 was hard with the merger. You can read a lot of these reviews and see there were a lot of hurt feelings. Many of my friends were let go. It is unfortunate, but it is a part of business. I think the biggest con would be the underestimation of how different the ININ business practices were, and the difficulty that would be faced in blending that with Genesys. Overall it has been handled very well, but there were some hiccups for sure.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in Indianapolis, and continue to implement the best processes and practices from both ININ and Genesys across the new Genesys.

"Lead Change and Not Task"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Director in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Director in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. While I have gotten offers to join other companies, I like the work I am doing. My boss is great and I really think the new HR team in compensation and benefits are helpful. The new 2018 benefits are good and the company contributes to the HSA accounts $750 and $1,500.

I feel like there is a real opportunity here from a technology perspective. Alot of change, but the company is growing and I think the CEO (Paul Segre and Tom Eggemeier) has a good vision for how we can grow further.

Cons

There can be silos. I feel that there is the old Genesys and the new Genesys. Seems like the old Genesys doesnt like change and alot of the older senior company leaders get too involved on trivial task work where the new leaders are more progressive and test boundaries.

There is alot of talk from the legacy Genesys leaders where I feel like the newer leaders are leading important change. I hope Genesys can keep their talent.

Advice to Management

Focus on strategy and not task. Listen to the new voices at Genesys. Advance technology and dont be an also-ran.