Genesys Reviews | Glassdoor

Genesys Chief Executive Officer Paul Segre
Paul Segre

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • My commute to Daly City is long, but once you demonstrate value working remote policy is very flexible (in 22 reviews)

• Absolutely do not value work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

"Times have Changed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Genesys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ININ was a company I was proud to be associated with in the Indianapolis area. We had a positive reputation as an employer of choice in Indianapolis. Team operated efficiently and was healthy (with trust and support). Management encouraged empowerment with accountability and trusted their team. Compensation package is good.

Cons

I voluntarily left my position post acquisition due to lack of communication from Genesys leadership, delayed access to tool/systems, unorganized. I lost trust but maybe things are better now.

"Post merger went downhill"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Genesys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open time off. Depending on your team/management, your schedule is pretty flexible. Work with a lot of smart people (unless more have left!).

Cons

Pay is very low in Indianapolis and not competitive at all with the market. They need to seriously reevaluate their software engineer salaries if they want to keep people around. Many, many top talent individuals have left recently due to opportunities elsewhere with much higher pay and benefits. When you take care of your employees, they will fall in love with your company and work extremely hard.

Communication went downhill, with no real vision provided to employees. High level visionary talks like "take market share from Avaya" sounds good, but it's good to hear goals and tasks an individual can work on to help meet company goals. Some areas of Genesys don't seem to get the support from the top as others. Or maybe the Indianapolis office is just left in the dark?

The morale is still very low since after the merger. Despite knowing this, not a lot is being done to try and boost it. Something should be done to boost morale organically.

Advice to Management

Motivate employees and increase morale. Re-evaluate compensation seriously. Improve communication and help create reasonable goals - provide status updates on goals regularly to remain accountable.

"Some bad decisions..."

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at Genesys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are competitive. Employees choose between a PC or Mac - thumbs up to that flexibility.

Cons

The meaning of the "take what you need" vacation policy varies widely. Some of my colleagues took several weeks every year, but reporting to a workaholic director/VP meant I could take very little time off.

People weren't valued so much after Genesys bought Interactive Intelligence. In the massive layoff that followed, we saw upper management make some very poor decisions about who was let go. Politics played heavily in those decisions.

Advice to Management

It's not just showy, look-at-me wildly creative thinkers that you need to run a company. Value your people who quietly do an excellent job.

"a good company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Market leaders in their space. Competent Execs. Competitive salary.

Cons

Bottom line driven to a fault. Exec team seems to value messaging vs truth. Limited opportunity in Indianapolis

Advice to Management

I know what the exec team wants the Indianapolis office to believe, but until hiring starts picking up beyond just accounting for attrition and hiring in India, people are not going to believe their message. New and fresh opportunities need to be given to Indianapolis. The ex-I3 product line is being squeezed for profit with marginal investment, and will wind up being sunseted, so you need to get off that sinking ship. Be wary of the reviews you read Genesys management has been alarmed by the negative reviews and has been asking their employees to enter positive reviews. you can tell exactly when that happen by the obvious inflection point in the historical ratings. Does any real employee actually say "we are on our way to being iconic". This is the Genesys way, all spin. Just follow the money.

"PureCrap"

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are pros but the negatives certainly outweigh them. Go elsewhere for a career. If a job is what you're looking for then hop aboard the sinking shitp.

Cons

Are fake reviews the new fake news? What a shady Human Resources department! It's every man for themselves at Genesys. Don't think for a second that your livelihood means anything to anyone.

Advice to Management

Be real. Be honest. Be human.

"Ok company"

I worked at Genesys full-time

Pros

Lower workload since it's in a slow moving contact center industry

Cons

Very bureaucratic
    Owned by a private equity so not much upside unless you are part of the executive team
    A lot of lifers

"Not a merger of companies or cultures"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are currently good, but there is a merger of the two sides programs at the end of 2017 coming up. So, who knows what the final result of that will be? There is OTO instead of PTO, which has it's own pros and cons. 401k on the Genesys plan is full vesting on 50c to every $1 up to $4,000 each year, which is way better than anything ININ offered.

They are a leader in CX (having seen behind the curtain you have to wonder how), so growth wise they should be stable enough to work for.

Cons

When Genesys acquired ININ it was touted as a merger, and a merger of equals. That there would be an org structure that reflected that equality, and that there was real commonality in our cultures. Genesys even brought in Bain consultants during the initial phase. Reality is, Bain was a waste of money, there is no commonality between ININ and Genesys cultures, and it was a takeover not a merger. The combined org structure was a joke.

There is not a single C-suite ININ employee left, a large number of the VP's have left, and there is a steady stream of disillusioned highly talented individual contributors who are taking decades of knowledge away with them. The Genesys director level, for the most part have inflated titles, and do work at a manager or team lead level rather than planning, vision, and setting direction. There are directors that have no direct reports, if that gives any indication of the over inflated titles floating around. Supposedly Indy is/was supposed to become the new G&A hub for Genesys, however the newly hired CFO is in Daly City (having moved from NY), what is that supposed to say? More merger spin to try and keep folks around until all the business systems are integrated after which there be a lot less need for some positions?

After 5 months of being Genesys you can see the push for low cost Russian and Indian employees, and it will be interesting to see with Trumps H1-B changes whether there is an acceleration in movement of jobs to outside the US, rather than bringing them in. There are whole floors in Daly City that the primary languages are Russian, then Ukraine, then English. Not a bad thing for a multi-national company, but that would be more expected in say the St.Pertersburg office than California. The company is on the hook to a number of equity companies who are going to be wanting a return on their investment sooner or later. Running the company as cheaply as they can get by with seems to be the game plan.

Advice to Management

You are throwing away huge amounts of talent due to mismanagement. You paid a lot of money for ININ, some of what you brought was people, what you have utterly failed to capture is the hearts and minds of those people.

ININ was a place that inspired you to come to work and make a difference, Genesys has become a place I have to come to work.

"No Growth in a Siloed World"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will meet some of the nicest, most compassionate people at Genesys. They will ALMOST convince you that it's worth it to stay.

Many employees work on a flexible schedule. People won't begrudge you for needing to run home to take care of the dog, or to pick up your kid from soccer practice.

Cons

Everything operates in siloes at the Genesys headquarters. There is very little communication between departments, and there are warring factions within groups inside departments. (It seems the regional teams are run differently, with more openness, collaboration, and passion). In the Marketing Department, certain leaders build their own walled kingdoms, and getting help from their teams from the outside is like pulling teeth.

There is no opportunity for growth--so kiss your hopes of an upward trajectory goodbye. Salary levels are way below average for people who have been around for a long time, even though their performance reviews can be stellar. This lack of balance is ridiculous, as people who come from the outside are paid at the industry average, while loyal employees are given a pitiful 3% increase! The people who got the bad bargain are the former interns, who are sometimes kept hanging on weird contracts and low salaries for years (or until they find something better and leave).

Onboarding is a joke. And continuing education is almost non-existent. No one cares if you use the GenEd system to learn things. Your managers certainly don't.

Morale is low. It seems like no one is happy, and everyone keeps on looking for a way out. Some truly amazing leaders were laid off disgracefully in Product Marketing and the IT departments, only to be replaced with careerists or overworked teams. Many talented folks have left willingly, some in tears because they loved what Genesys once was. The sad thing is that only the squeaky wheels get the promotions. The rest of us who are trying to do our best are getting no rewards for our efforts.

HR is slow, with no system in place. They only care about protecting the company, not the happiness of employees. Plus, they got rid of a somewhat decent Workday system, replaced it with a half-baked Oracle system, and now are asking us to upload our goals/direction into PureCloud? What a mess!

Sad things happening to the culture of a once energized company. With SKO, you almost had us convinced things were getting better, but now I'm not too sure.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk. I used to believe you when you spoke of these things.

When I go to Genesys events, I believed in our company and our vision. It's the day-to-day life at work that falls flat. We speak about the happy customers and fulfilled employees at the companies we serve. That is a compelling message. But internally at Genesys, we're a mess of dissatisfied people afraid of losing our jobs with the next acquisition (and the next, and the next...).

My advice is to truly look at the people who are contributing, and then cultivate them. Sometimes the loudest, savviest people aren't the most effective. And sometimes the less aggressive, but competent project managers are willing to grow into leaders.

"Post- acquisition blues"

I worked at Genesys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility in many departments/ open time off and some remote work is allowed.
    Benefits are good, although still separate for former ININ and Genesys with some obvious differences (free health clinic and wellness credits for former ININ- Indy and HSA company contribution for Genesys legacy employees).

Cons

The "merger" was actually not a merger at all, the former ININ employees in many departments felt demoted with various job duties stripped away or shifted to others (usually on Genesys side) with little to no communication. RIFs have almost become the norm and many VP and Senior level management from former ININ side have jumped ship to other companies or even left without another job. Going away celebrations are more common in Indy than welcome celebrations. Programs and processes are a mess, poor planning and execution is to blame. Systems are old school and typically paper based or the use of multiple systems to try to complete a process for 5,000 employees. Onboarding is confusing and Indy folks can barely answer basic questions anymore due to the archaic systems and processes.

Advice to Management

Allow the former ININ team to have input in rollout of new programs and to have a voice in general (not just on Glassdoor). Ensure compensation is fair for what employees have been asked to do (such as the work of what used to be done by 3 people and now only 1 person left) and truly listen to exit interview data to spot trends for future improvement.

Genesys Response

Sep 1, 2017 – Genesys Leadership Team

Thank you for your comments. We consider employee input valuable to help us continually tune our internal processes and particularly as we bring these two incredible companies together, which is why... More

"A company Divided"

I have been working at Genesys full-time

Pros

Doing well and has good focus on the Premise side of the business

Cons

Not empowering Cloud teams, Ignoring the future a large potential in revenue, to just keep doing what they are comfortable with.

Advice to Management

May be time for a re-alignment and refresh on the management side. Everyone talks about Premise where things are well, the Cloud teams seem to be ignored and excluded. That is where the future is going and there is good talent there just bad management holding it all down