Genesys Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 24, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The location of the offices in Daly City is not great (in 21 reviews)

• Absolutely do not value work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

"Acquisition Focused"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Average benefits and good working environment. People are somewhat good to work with.

Cons

Management is out of touch. Seem to run by the PE group who only care about making the company ready for sale or public offering. Don't care about contributions of individuals only the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Check your integrity.

"Avoid Genesys Finance!"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Daly City, CA

I worked at Genesys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unfortunately, there are no pros to working at Genesys. The only pro is that I no longer work at Genesys.

Cons

Overall Genesys is a terrible place to work. The company lacks leadership and direction. The focus is on profit with little concern for employee well-being or career development. The company is cheap- you will pay a substantial portion of your health care insurance, there are few company perks, and you are required to stay a year to receive your insignificant 401k match. The company is also cheap when it comes to paying out bonuses. Even the location of the corporate offices indicates "cheap", is there any place worse to work than Daly City?
    The finance team has had five resignations recently, with more to come. If you like working long days and weekends without compensation or acknowledgement, then you will probably enjoy Genesys finance. However, if you have a life outside of the work, you will be miserable. Weak finance management and lack of investment in systems is just a few of the major issues.. Management has resorted to hiring contractors and now the finance team is comprised of more contractors then permanent employees.

Advice to Management

Invest in systems, hire talented managers and better compensate employees below the executive levels.

3. "Loved the new logo!!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Miami, FL

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Company's culture and excellent working environment
    -Great team
    -Great benefits

Cons

-Transformation, which is difficult but it's been handled very well.

"Office of the CIO"

Current Employee - Works In IT in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Works In IT in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Still several Interactive Intelligence employees around, but they are leaving fast!
    Work from home is allowed.
    On-site Cafe
    On-site Gym

Cons

Office of the CIO??? Maybe it should be called the travel office. Every conversation you have with the CIO, who also manages facilities, is about his latest travels on the company dime. If you want to run facilities and travel the globe great do that, but this company needs a real CIO. The other part you will get from our CIO is his stories about how he kicked HP Global Services out of Genesys. Telling them not to show up in his office in a suit and tie again, wear jeans and a polo shirt. Mr. CIO, be respectful, that is what a vendor is doing when they show up in a tie. Also, take ownership for your department. Stop pushing all of the complaints that are geared directly at you, to your low level supervisors and telling them it is their problem to solve. Working down to the VP/Sr. Director level.

Wow, you guys are worse. Anytime an employees wants to meet with you to discuss an issue, you interrupt them to ask why can't you just get on board with the program. We would, if you had a program. But the only program you have is always saying yes to other parts of the business no matter what the request is. Also, it is OK to fail. As a matter of fact you have to fail in order to succeed, it is kind of like good and evil. One cannot live without the other. When anyone fails everyone has a look of terror on their faces as if someone is getting fired. Stop directing from fear, people don’t respect it. They fear it! When Don Brown was at the helm, we did not only fail from time to time but we were expected to fail. That was one of the only ways to truly learn what worked and what doesn’t.

The managers and supervisor are currently the only thing holding this department together. They continue to take the beatings from employees and upper management caught in the middle. My hat goes off to you guys keep up the good work and don’t leave us.

I am not sure what can be done to fix this department, but I know that it starts at the CIO and VP level.

Advice to Management

My advise to management would need to go to the CFO office as the CIO reports to the CFO. CFO, be careful with this CIO and his direct line! They will do anything to cover themselves.

Let people fail in a manner that allows them to do it in a fear free environment and learn from those failures. Without this you have a department that is afraid to make any improvements, for the fear of what if it doesn’t work?

Genesys Response

Jun 27, 2017 – Genesys Leadership Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your comprehensive comments. Our IT and facilities teams are service organizations, providing both services and infrastructure support for our employees -- as... More

"The Bane of this Company: CTO"

Former Employee - Engineer in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Daly City, CA

I worked at Genesys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of innocent, smart people at Tech.

Cons

A CTO who is a lot less smart than he thinks he is, a lot less subtle in his political machinations, and who is unable to write a paragraph in English without committing a risible gaffe. And yet, the CEO is scared of him, which in turn turns the CEO into a laughing stock.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CTO for Christ. He is worse than useless. And while at it, do a packaged deal and unload the CEO as well -- a spineless man who knows not how to make decisions, tough or easy.

"Used to be a Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people here are outstanding. For the most part, they really care about the company success and the quality of the work they produce. There is a good work/life balance and telecommuting is an option in most department. Benefits are OK.

Cons

For the last several months, the push has been on to move jobs to "low cost" centers in India and Russia. Long-term employees are being let go at a rapid rate--beyond what would be expected from the recent acquisitions. Morale is plummeting. Stock options now for regular employees are non-existent--only for the execs. This is all about making sure our bottom line looks even better to the VCs who own us, even though we already have double-digit growth.

Advice to Management

People are not interchangeable. Losing the history, product knowledge, and institutional experience of the people who built this company just to save a few dollars in the short-term is, at best, foolish. Don't let greed destroy what was an outstanding company.

7. "Great group of people and team environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment and awesome folks to work with. The perks and Office atmosphere is amazing. When you love coming into work you know they are doing something right keeping the employees happy!

Cons

This is a tough one, I guess it depends on your individual teams. Only con I have would be the yearly incentives could be better. Negotiate a good salary before coming onboard and you will be fine.

"Slow evolution"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Genesys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Open time-off
    - Ability to work remote
    - Decent work-life balance

Cons

- Underpaid
    - No training
    - Disorganized
    - Lack of innovation
    - Politics
    - Layoffs
    - Slow adoption to emerging technology
    - Culture of "no" - everyone tries to pass the buck instead of taking ownership

Advice to Management

Not much to say, since nothing will really change. Yearly employee surveys do not seem to have any impact since nobody notices any tangible changes.

"Good but no longer great"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

• Laid back
    • A lot of smart people to work with
    • Great atmosphere and with work life balance
    • I am able to have my own office

Cons

There is a feel that there is a lack of leadership from the top.

"Genesys: to Blunder, Louse Up, Stumble, Flounder, Gum up"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Genesys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Swirling down the toilet with dwindling market share.

A new Logo! Haha. Everyone knows this is a last ditch move you make when you are starting to go down.

Financials are Private so no one can see how bad things really are.

Cons

Genesys acquired Interactive Intelligence at the end of 2016. This company was loaded with amazing talent and some dynamic leaders. If you want a Harvard business case to study on how to blow an acquisition in M&A class this would be an epic case study. It was amateur hour at best.

All the lines of bull, handing out sweat bands so you don't sweat the merger! (really). Synergy Spreadsheets that everyone knew about. All you forgot was to talk about "value sticks" and "value capture" to make your business BS complete. You treated this "merger of equals" (really, did you say that in company meetings? That is such a tired business phase, oh yes you did) like you were a Private Equity buying a factory and your superior management style and process was going to "capture the value".

Surprise!

You bought a company of knowledge workers. They have left because you bungled the merger with a terrible post acquisition strategy. You paid too much money and botched it big time. Someone should be fired in the Genesys C-suite.

You now own a bunch of building leases, some intellectual property you don't understand, some remaining mediocre employees who don't have options and a very very small number of high performers whose moral is totally shot at this point. Good work!

Advice to Management

Everyone is leaving or had already left. No one trusts you. AWS is eating your Lunch. It is too late to fix it. You already blew it. Not even Bain Consulting can help this sinking ship.