Genesys Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Genesys Chief Executive Officer Paul Segre
Paul Segre

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • On a related note, work/life balance wasn't great (in 12 reviews)

• My commute to Daly City is long, but once you demonstrate value working remote policy is very flexible (in 23 reviews)

"A great place to grow professionally"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

I worked at Genesys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For background, I started at Genesys as an intern (like many others), got promoted to FTE after I graduated and stayed on for many years after that. So on to the pros --

- I had the opportunity to grow and learn a lot of new skills during my time at Genesys and was given the opportunity and support to further develop those skills
    - All my managers have been amazing. They pushed me to be better, supported me, and made sure to give me the recognition I deserved.
    - My peers at Genesys are top notch. Not only are they smart and hard working, they are also fun and down to earth, which is hard to come by in SF and SV. They are the reason why I stayed at Genesys for as long as I did.
    - Open time off is nice
    - 401K match is great (in comparison to where I'm at new which is considered a "bigger" tech company)
    - Paul Segre and Tom E are great leaders. Genesys is lucky to have them.

Daly City specific pros --
    - Free parking in DCO and convenient to Bart
    - Great free coffee
    - Fun game room and Happy Hours

Cons

- During my time, Genesys went through a lot of changes (private to ALU to private to ININ merger). Change is part of life but yes, there was instability during those times and I do think it's normal for that to be a con for people.
    - OTO is great in theory but difficult in practice. I had to work through almost every single vacation I took.
    - On a related note, work/life balance wasn't great. Long hours (a lot of working even after you get home from the office and on the weekends) and it was a special occasion to get people to break for lunch.
    - Some senior level management and their "confidantes" were incredibly rude. I hope these people still aren't there because they were few and far between but still too present. I heard one did leave so that's good.

Advice to Management

Your employees are incredibly smart and loyal. Keep working to keep them happy and they will continue to put their heart and soul into their work.

You also don't have a lot of women in leadership, even though you like to try to say you do. The ones you do have are great but keep in mind you have strong females in mid-level roles too. Help to elevate them.

"Lead Change and Not Task"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Director in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Director in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. While I have gotten offers to join other companies, I like the work I am doing. My boss is great and I really think the new HR team in compensation and benefits are helpful. The new 2018 benefits are good and the company contributes to the HSA accounts $750 and $1,500.

I feel like there is a real opportunity here from a technology perspective. Alot of change, but the company is growing and I think the CEO (Paul Segre and Tom Eggemeier) has a good vision for how we can grow further.

Cons

There can be silos. I feel that there is the old Genesys and the new Genesys. Seems like the old Genesys doesnt like change and alot of the older senior company leaders get too involved on trivial task work where the new leaders are more progressive and test boundaries.

There is alot of talk from the legacy Genesys leaders where I feel like the newer leaders are leading important change. I hope Genesys can keep their talent.

Advice to Management

Focus on strategy and not task. Listen to the new voices at Genesys. Advance technology and dont be an also-ran.

"Trending down..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Industry leading product and vision in a space that will only continue to grow.

Cons

Things have not been the same since the most recent investment firm came onboard. For a large, profitable software company with a bright future, the company is very stingy. Budgets are being slashed again in 2018 and you're lucky to get the standard 3% increase each year.

Advice to Management

Help H&F understand the importance of keeping good people. Show us there is a light at the end of the tunnel somehow or morale will continue to slide.

"Please be aware before quitting your current job"

I worked at Genesys full-time

Pros

I hear the benefits that were announced for 2018 were ok. They have plenty of openings that I thought about transferring to but after observing the dept no way. No amount of money is worth that. Chose to move on to a much better place. Other than that if you're under the chains of the Shared Services Management regime there are no pros. If you choose to interview for the many open positions, be sure to ask why people are leaving and see what responses you get.

Cons

It is run like a dictatorship that does not allow team members to make their own decisions. You can't say leadership because there is no leadership everything is dictated to the employees on what they are to do on a daily business. The new company has completely destroyed the culture that Don Brown spent years building, in less than a year. Toxic does not begin to describe the atmosphere there. It takes no less than 10 people to approve anything that is done. Upper regime does not even trust their own peers to make decisions. So they all must have their names on documents. So many egos to stroke. They have no clue what teams are doing. They have no clue. They set people up to fail to give them an easy out to let people go or so that people leave on their own. DO NOT leave a good job to work there. Life work balance? They say there is but try asking for time off. You're expected to work if you take time off if you get it off. The GRASS is NOT greener.

Advice to Management

Management does not listen to the employees. They do it their way even though they have no clue what their employees to and how valuable they are and could be.

5. "Review"

Former Employee - QA Team Lead in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - QA Team Lead in Daly City, CA

I worked at Genesys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, good environment

Cons

No comments at this point

6. "Fantastic time for the company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer With Trimmings in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer With Trimmings in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic time to be here. We are working on "cloudification" of our old services and learning new technologies while still not losing our experience and users of mature products. Heavy investment in education. Love it.
    Acquisition of Interactive Intelligence was a fantastic move as well. We got some great technology experience and really bright people with this acquisition.
    Overall this is great company that is not afraid of change and at the same time not reckless with its older customers and products.
    Great coffee. Starbucks had to close their location in shame.
    Theoretically unlimited time off.
    Super-easy commute and free parking.

Cons

Compensation could be better but at the same time I feel very safe here.

Sometimes the number of people in the middle management seems too high. They also get very busy coordinating and deadlocking themselves.

Company issued laptops are decent but heavily loaded with enterprise crapware that cannot be disabled. OK for management types but drives developers nuts.

Cannot understand negative reviews coming from Indianapolis office. Have not met any unhappy people from Indy myself.

Advice to Management

Buy free coffee machines for Indy office.

"Merger was very tough"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genesys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of really smart people. Very well organized. A master plan.

Cons

Being on the acquired side was not easy. A lot of processes to do simple jobs. Can take forever to get something done.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and you will burn out many of your employees.

"Finance Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Daly City, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Daly City, CA

I worked at Genesys as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay for an internship. Rotating internship allows for experience in multiple finance departments. Employees are friendly. Workplace is clean and comfortable.

Cons

Upper management came across as unapproachable. Staff was sometimes unavailable for much teaching, but I also came in at a very pivotal time in the company.

"CX also stands for Candidate Experience"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

During the recruitment process I suddenly realized that Genesys was approaching it from a customer experience point of view - which makes sense because it's what they do with their software. I had a great recruiter, Tamara who was very open, asked professional questions and gave me thoughtful answers. In fact, everyone I met with was very open about the challenges as well as the potential for my role. It's a dream job for me - global view, strategic and the opportunity to make my mark. You get to work with a diverse group of intelligent people and they are open to new ideas and to change. I also like how much teams are wide spread and how flexible the culture is. Now I'm just getting started and enjoying it a lot.

Cons

None really - be ready to work hard, we have a lot to do to fulfill our mission and so expect to be stretched and challenged. However also expect for people to want you to enjoy your work and to help you make that happen.

Advice to Management

Keep up the dialog with employees, the NPS etc.

10. "Great company on an exciting journey"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No company is perfect, but when it comes to having an open, flat, accessible culture where your opinion is heard and matters, I don't think you could come to a better place. It is a place where you feel that you can really make a difference. More and more it feels like one big team very excited about wanting to really move the needle together. As we continue to grow and do well, we are not losing that combative spirit and that humble attitude that got us to where we are. If you want to work for a company of which you can be proud on a mission with real purpose, this is the place.

Cons

It is a lot of work and that sometimes means less time with the family then you would like.

Advice to Management

Keep it up